Riesentöter Forums
NASCAR Rant - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: NASCAR Rant (/showthread.php?tid=341)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Wellardmac - 02-27-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:It may not be exciting to watch but I do believe that it takes a lot of skill and talent. I know that even on the banking at Pocono doing 135 its"s a lot of work to keep the car from driving towards the wall.

Oh, I agree on the skill/talent part. I've just been bewildered as to why so many people find it so addictive to watch.

- Brian Minkin - 02-27-2007

I think a large number of Nascar fans watch it for the wrecks.  I know when I am in dealerships the mechanics only seem to talk Nascar when there has been a spectacular wreck.

- Racingswh - 02-27-2007

I have always found it strange why anyone would want to watch racing of any kind who isn't actively involved or a participant in the sport at some level.  How does an un or underinformed person even know what they are watching or begin to understand the skill that's required?

I have had Nascar fans actually try to explain the dynamics of driving on high banked ovals and they had never been in a race car of any kind even as a passenger.  I found that very interesting.

I believe the attraction and fan popularity comes from the fact that you can see all the action and that the France family has done an exceptional job marketing their product.    

- ccm911 - 02-27-2007

Racingswh wrote:
Quote:I have always found it strange why anyone would want to watch racing of any kind who isn't actively involved or a participant in the sport at some level. How does an un or underinformed person even know what they are watching or begin to understand the skill that's required?

I have had Nascar fans actually try to explain the dynamics of driving on high banked ovals and they had never been in a race car of any kind even as a passenger. I found that very interesting.

I believe the attraction and fan popularity comes from the fact that you can see all the action and that the France family has done an exceptional job marketing their product.
Point well taken.

- bobt993 - 02-28-2007

Look up "restrictor plate" in wikipedia for better understanding or why Daytona is so close.  BTW if you look at the NASCAR road coarse performances at the Glen short course, times compare to other GAC/ALMS run events verrrry closely.  24hr Daytona teams invite alot of Nascar boys to run stints at the event and it's not just for publicity.  I use to poke fun at Nascar some years ago, but after doing more advanced driving and W2W racing, I realized how ignorant I was.  Dem boys can drive!!

- bobt993 - 02-28-2007

"I have always found it strange why anyone would want to watch racing of any kind who isn't actively involved or a participant in the sport at some level.  How does an un or underinformed person even know what they are watching or begin to understand the skill that's required? "

Bingo! You are spot on, but that is where Nascar like football has excelled.  They do educate the fans and the action is predominantly in full view.  Watching an ALMS race from T1 at the Glen is ....okay.  I sat in premo seats at the F1 track,Nurburgring for vintage races last August.  Fun for about 20minute, but we moved to the paddock to look around afterwards.  You need a specific driver or team to root for to keep anyone's attention.  Thus the comment I remember most  " Rolex drivers know everyone in the stands, but in Nascar everyone in the stands know who the drivers are." 

- ccm911 - 02-28-2007

A lot of good arguments, but I feel that I must stand on my original asessment.  NASCAR is stupid, overly commercialized, and painfully boring to watch.

NASCAR in the sixties and seventies was cool.  Today it is about as overrated as Football.  I can't seem to figure out what all the fuss is about for either.

My worldview dictates that if something is popular with the masses, then the probability is quite high that it will suck.

Just my humble opinion. Big Grin

- bobt993 - 02-28-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:A lot of good arguments, but I feel that I must stand on my original asessment. NASCAR is stupid, overly commercialized, and painfully boring to watch.
Quote:Chris this obtuse even coming from you, almost puritanical and condencending. I based my initial understanding of nascar on similarly immature judgements (but I was 20 at the time).Wink

NASCAR in the sixties and seventies was cool. Today it is about as overrated as Football. I can't seem to figure out what all the fuss is about for either.

My worldview dictates that if something is popular with the masses, then the probability is quite high that it will suck. Chris this more your point. Anything popular is not for you. Now stop driving on the wrong the side of the road, I live near your neighborhood. Confusedhock:

Just my humble opinion. Big Grin hmmTonguemmmmmmmmm , humble Mr. President?

- ccm911 - 02-28-2007

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Look up "restrictor plate" in wikipedia for better understanding or why Daytona is so close. BTW if you look at the NASCAR road coarse performances at the Glen short course, times compare to other GAC/ALMS run events verrrry closely. 24hr Daytona teams invite alot of Nascar boys to run stints at the event and it's not just for publicity. I use to poke fun at Nascar some years ago, but after doing more advanced driving and W2W racing, I realized how ignorant I was. Dem boys can drive!!

- ccm911 - 02-28-2007

Stop making me laugh, Bob.  I hope you realize that this is all in good fun.  And would I put myself out there if I didn't enjoy getting embroiled in controversy?

All right, now I  have to get back to work.  See you at Dougherty's this evening.