Riesentöter Forums
Your First Car - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Your First Car (/showthread.php?tid=360)

Pages: 1 2 3

- ccm911 - 03-04-2007

RallyJon wrote:
Quote:The car I learned to drive in was a Renault LeCar. I remember reading Paul Frere's Sports Car and Competition Driving when I was 16, then going out and teaching myself to heel-toe downshift by driving the same corner about 50 times one Saturday.

Of course in a LeCar, it didn't matter what gear you were in, but that's besides the point. Big Grin

I did exactly the same thing in a 1982 Renault R5 "LeCar" FOUR-DOOR! I would go out on Valley Forge mountain, and just practice for hours on end. I too, learned how to heel-toe in a Renault. And it wasn't a bad autocrosser.

Now who in the Club has an R5 Turbo 1 with the factory Rally kit installed. That very car is on my short list of cars to one day own.

- ccm911 - 03-05-2007

jakp993 wrote:
Quote:My 1st car was a 1971 Camaro, Blue, 289ci, 3 speed on the floor. Combine that car, no snow tires, & upstate NY and you get drifting before drifting was drifting Big Grin
Sounds like a really "classy" ride. Big Grin

- Tony356993 - 03-06-2007

1970 Chevy Nova. 4 DOOR Sad. Olive Green :X :X Automatic Confusedhock:

I bought it at the Springfield Auto Auction for $700. I decided to get the car painted........with Rust-Oleum. I went for Navy Blue. Since I did Zero prep work, the car oxidized nicely into a Cheech and Chong blue that needed compounding every 3-4 days. :X :X :X

I soon stepped up to an Olds Omega - Now we were moving on up.

- APXD 30 - 03-06-2007

'81 Fiat Spyder purchased from my next door neighbor at age 15.   Always admired the car.   With just over 60,000 mile you would have thought it would be reliable too...

Key word is 2 as in 2 engines blown and I couldn't afford to fix the 2nd one.:X

- Brian Minkin - 03-06-2007

I seem to recall that Fiats and Alpha's of that vintage where famous for such behaviour.

- JAB993 - 03-07-2007

I had an '84 Alpha sometime back and although a great car in which I enjoyed some great track time you had to do, what one of my friends called, a "rain dance" around the car to get it started. It had a mind of its own.

Growing up in the UK the first car was only 800cc, a 1949 Ford Anglia, black what else, had the profile of a brick and  0 to 60mph was impossible. Eventually sold but not before being stopped by the Edinburgh constabulary (cops) for advertising the price in big white numbers across the bodywork. This  apparently was street trading for which I needed a license! Moved on to a '61 Triumph Herald held together by rust. Around Edinburgh you did not need much horsepower to experiencing drifting on those wet slick road cobbles, they were like glass on a wet day. Only did a couple of 360 degrees in centre city that I recall.

- ccm911 - 03-07-2007

A Ford Anglia??  A Triumph Herald??  You really hit on all the winners!  Throw in a Vauxhall(spell?) and any Austin product and call it a day.  ROTFLOL!!!!

Actually, wasn't there a car made in the UK called a BOND?  If so, you need one.

- ccm911 - 03-07-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:I seem to recall that Fiats and Alpha's of that vintage where famous for such behaviour.
I had a FIAT X 1/9 back in college. It was the worst car in the world. Probably the reason that I only drive German machinery now.

- JAB993 - 03-07-2007

...easy  there! The Vauxhall wasn't that bad, never had an Austin. Always wanted one of those Bond minicars; three wheeler with a motorcycle engine over the front wheel. You had to lift the hood, insert foot and kick start .

But hold on a minute there it wasn't all soooo bad, I was able to get my hands on a 3.4 ltr Mark II Jaguar, wire wheels, SU carbs on winding Scottish country roads (single track) just mind the sheep..seriously.

- ccm911 - 03-07-2007

What is t with you Scots and your sheep? Smile

The Jag sounds like a wonderful car though.