Riesentöter Forums
... a little bit of a lie. ;) - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: ... a little bit of a lie. ;) (/showthread.php?tid=391)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Wellardmac - 03-20-2007

...works if you're driving an older 911. Not so good if you're driving a 996 (like me) or 997.  Smile

The internet is good, but it still doesn't get you to their 'real' price.  The starting price (posted on the internet) at the dealers I spoke with was significantly higher than the price that I paid.  The only edge I had was knowing what they were paying for the cars, so roughly knew their profit margin.  Before starting the discussion I knew the price I was willing to pay and kept asking until I got someone to give it to me.   In the end I was willing to drive out to Ocean, NJ to get the car if it got me the price I wanted (I was talking with Acura of Ocean). In the end I saved the 90 minute drive and managed to get it closer to home.

Could I have gotten the price lower? Sure - probably maybe a little lower, but the time and hassle that it would have taken me to get there was not worth it to me. In the end you have to aim for a win-win where you get a good car at a good price and the dealer makes a reasonable profit. 

- ccm911 - 03-20-2007

Sounds like you have gotten the best deal you could, using today's technology.

As Keith Martin would say....the car was well bought.

Enjoy the new toy.

Yup, as you said, without the access to the internet the experience would be totally different.

The first car I bought (a Honda), I was totally screwed by the dealer on every aspect of the deal. I was not happy once I realized.

- Wally - 03-20-2007

Quote:

Yup, pretty silly to tell them that you have a Porsche. May as well lay a wad of bills in front of them, then tell them that you're not giving them any. One of the rules of buying a car is not to show signs of wealth. I don't know a bigger sign of wealth then pulling up to the dealership in a Porsche, or telling them that you have one.
Driving up to a dealership in a Porsche is not a sign of wealth, it is a sign of having a well paying job and/or excellent credit.  A sign of wealth is when you have your personal assistant instruct your business manager to negotiate the purchase of a new Bugatti Veyron for you to use as a daily driver when you want to drive yourself.
Wink

- Tony356993 - 03-20-2007

Wally - well said. Wealth is having someone bring the car to you and put in in your garage.

Wealth is a relative thing

...if your household income falls into the top single digit (x%, where x is <10%)of taxpayers, then you're wealthy compared to the other 100-X% of households. Wink

I'm sure that in the eyes of very many people, many people who own a Porsche are "wealthy" - it's irrelvant what we think that we are.

- michael lang - 03-21-2007

I would not neccessarily say that owning a Porsche is a sign of wealth, the reason I don't really talk about it too much is that I really don't want my clients or anyone else thinking that I'm something I'm not.

Case in point, 2 1/2 years ago after Alyssa was born we needed to replace one of the cars. Originally I was thinking full size sport utility (Armada, Sequoia, Tahoe...) but Shelly had her mind set on a minivan. The only I would consider was the Sienna because it had AWD, buckets seats in the middle (Myrtle Beach can be a long drive when the monsters are at eachothers throats) & DVD (see same reason). At that time, that particular model was in limited supply so dealers were asking a premium. I have been in the car business for 23 years now & have developed many relationships with many people so I knew this going in. Here's my point, when I was T.O.'ed (turned over) to the mgr for him to close me, Shelly & I pretty much held are ground on what we were going to pay, he said he couldn't do it. I accepted that, got Colin & Alyssa ready and the four of us walked out. As I was leaving I handed the salesperson one of my cards which told him where I worked and what I did and I told him that I was genuinely interested in buying THAT car. The flood gates of kindness opened and the mgr came racing after me out the door. I know that it was artificial.

People I have noticed seem to take on a different mind set when they know you have something special or do something special, it is very artificial. Especially if they treat you in a completely different manner before they know what they now know. That is why I don't generally let people know I own a Porsche.

- ccm911 - 03-21-2007

Actually, here on the Main Line where I live, 911s are like Fords.  The really rich have the newer versions, while we "Peons" generally drive the older models.

And that is why I love this area.  When we have nouveau riche folks show up, it is actually funny.  They will tell you about their Range Rovers and their great wealth.  But lurking around every corner is someone who is much wealthier, just laughing at these folks.  Knowing that he or she does not have to say a thing.

And that, my friends, is the true meaning of class(and success, etc.).  It's nice to have stuff, but it is imperative to display a certain amount of grace at the same time.

- APXD 30 - 03-21-2007

Chris Rock's stance on rich versus wealth:

On second thought, I edited my own post because of the cursing.   He has a good point though and you can find it on youtube under never scared keywork "rich."

- STEVEMCMORN - 03-24-2007

is having a $50K car loan rich??