Riesentöter Forums
Passing Signals - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Passing Signals (/showthread.php?tid=402)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Brian Minkin - 03-22-2007

Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:To Brian...I cant believe that stuff happens in the black group! Are the cars passing you just that slow or are the people just being really lazy?
996's, 944 turbos, 993's, Carrera's and SC's are all cars that should be able to pull off line and scoot by you as long as you are not accelerating down the straight. And I am giving an early pass so they should be accelerating coming out of the corner. I am waiting to get back on the throttle...and waiting...and waiting. In retrospect they probably where not faster then me and I was probably being too polite in giving them the pass. They certainly did not gain distance on me once they got past and I was faster in the climbing esses and would often get a pass from them on the next lap on the downhill before Oak Tree or on the back straight. It was just not what I am used to running like in black with RTR. Actually seems like some of these drivers could follow well but once they became the lead car they backed down.

- Tony356993 - 03-22-2007

Quote:[size=3]I look in my mirrors (all of them) coming into turns, coming out of turns, after I've checked my gauges
Funny you should mention that. I watched my VIR video last night and I saw a very funny thing. I put my camera mount back into the car (after I leant it to Bodo after the 993's big blow up last year) and I did not quite get it set just right. In the video it show my eyes through the rear view mirror. It was very interesting to see where and when I was looking. It almost looked like I was taking some of my own drugs as my eyes were constantly checking mirrors and scanning the track.

[/size] 

Quote:Over the years, Kurt, John, Jim and Brian have done an outstanding job in teaching our region how to safely, and apparently quickly, get around the track. 
I agree 100%.

- Sechsgang - 03-22-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote: I was fully attached to his bumper at the end of whatever corner...
Drew my man, do no try this technique often at a DE..........only bad things can happen. If you spook the blue student in front of you and he/she lifts, you got some major repairs to handle. Save it for Monaco. Wink

By fully attached...I meant a car and a .5 away...Gary Church, my instructor, said that was the only way to get the car to notice that I was there to pass...it was sadly true though...whenever I hung back 3-4 lengths...I simply would not get the pass...that got pretty annoying...

(this is only at the END of the non passing zone, I would always give a cushion in the corners)

- J.Smith - 03-22-2007

Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:By fully attached...I meant a car and a .5 away...Gary Church, my instructor, said that was the only way to get the car to notice that I was there to pass...it was sadly true though...whenever I hung back 3-4 lengths...I simply would not get the pass...that got pretty annoying...

I gotta agree here. And I have had quite a few instructors tell me the same thing. If you're not making it obvious to the car in front of you that you want a pass, they're more than likely not gonna give it to you. Making it obvious = fill their mirrors. And I think it's safe to say this happens in all run groups. I'm certainly not talking about driving aggressively to the point of harassment, but I see no problem in making it clear that you're faster and would like to be pointed by at the earliest convenience.

I've done the "courteous thing" and given some space, and 9 times out of 10, I'll wait more than a few passing zones before they get the hint. Get up a little closer, and the point by seems to come a bit sooner. Since I've started DE's, nobody has come to cuss me out yet, so I must be doing something right.Big Grin

- Sechsgang - 03-22-2007

ya, I didnt think I was the only one...

Quote:Get up a little closer, and the point by seems to come a bit sooner
Josh,

Maybe you should add some color to your car so people can see you better. Big Grin

I know they can hear you back there.

- J.Smith - 03-22-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:Josh,

Maybe you should add some color to your car so people can see you better. Big Grin

Color? Whats' that? My numbers are red...does that count?

It is a bit on the loud side isn't it? It makes me "feel" faster. Tongue

- Sechsgang - 03-22-2007

J.Smith wrote:
Quote:Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:Josh,

Color? Whats' that? My numbers are red...does that count?

It is a bit on the loud side isn't it? It makes me "feel" faster. Tongue

were you in the blue group?

- J.Smith - 03-22-2007

Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:were you in the blue group?
White (what Tony calls the "slow guys"). White was actually a great group this weekend. Not one black flag, great passing signals, and really no train issues.