Riesentöter Forums
Holt Motorsports - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Holt Motorsports (/showthread.php?tid=551)

Pages: 1 2 3

- catchacab - 05-14-2007

When I had the PPI done at Performance on my 993, that I bought from Tim Holt, Performance explained to me that when I am paying them for something, they are working for me and regardless of who owns the car, they are going to be thorough, and identify any possible issues with the car.

They did find some issues with the car I bought, which were resolved. 

It is enlightening to know businesses and people that do what is supposed to be done, not what would probably be better for their finances.

I would feel comfortable buying another 911 from Tim Holt and having the PPI done by Performance.  (I am not sure Tim would like them to do the next one though.)

- jdrian - 05-14-2007

Have you heard of dealers wanting $500 - $1,000  as a "deposit " for the pre purchase inspection. In other words, if the car passed the inspection (or there were only minor and correctable problems)  and was not purchased, the potential purchaser would be out the $500 or $1000.  Is this typicalwith a pre purchase inspection?  Thanks again for all your help.
Allan

- catchacab - 05-14-2007

I believe that I had a fully refundable deposit, pending the PPI.  If anything was found on the PPI, I had the option to cancel the purchase at no penalty to me.   If anyone you are thinking of buying from is unwilling to accept this, walk away.  You can always find another car. 

When evaluating your PPI, you just need to be reasonable.  If the car need brake pads, new tires, light bulbs or an oil change (not over due), these are regular maintenance items, and should be expected to be remedied by the new owner.  But if the clutch is slipping, the leakdown and compression are not within spec., damage to the suspension, previous unreported collision damage, rust, engine fluid leaks, etc., those can be deal breakers, or require a re-negotiation of price.

I had a PPI done on a  perfect condition private sale '92 964.  The leakdown on all cyl. was over 12%, with substantial loss in compression.  There were numerous oil leaks.  The tires were mismatched (brand and tread style). and some other unimportant items, the body was decent, and there were service records from 1991 to present. The seller wanted $26K for the car.  Based on the PPI, I offered him significantly less. His reply is that it isn't a race car just a car to drive in on the weekends, and would not negotiate price.   I gladly walked away from that pig.

When you pick a shop to do your PPI, you should evaluate their familiarity with your car.  You can have your local service station do a PPI on a 911, but do they know what are the common weaknesses and failures of the cars.   Many dealers (with notable exceptions) mostly do warranty work or work on mostly late model cars. 

- mam911SC - 05-18-2007

Have a PPI done before you finalize the deal. I have purchased two 911's from Holt. The first one was fine, the second was a car that IMO Tim misrepresented. The car was in an accident that he didnt disclose and needed major motor work(worn valve guildes). I didn't get a PPI on the second one and I payed. I went in believing that youpayed a preminum with Tim to insure that you aviod the dog that I purchased. My bad and you live snd learn. Tim is selling used cars, you are buying a used car, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and get a PPI before buying from Holt or anyone else, it is money well spent.

IMO, keep looking. 

Good Luck

- Porshagod - 06-11-2007

jdrian wrote:
Quote:
Have you heard of dealers wanting $500 - $1,000 as a "deposit " for the pre purchase inspection. In other words, if the car passed the inspection (or there were only minor and correctable problems) and was not purchased, the potential purchaser would be out the $500 or $1000. Is this typicalwith a pre purchase inspection? Thanks again for all your help.
Allan

You should NEVER, I repeat, NEVER pay $500 - $1,000 as a "deposit " for the right to have a pre-purchase inspection done! Period! If a dealer insists on one, WALK! Any reputable dealer that is selling quality cars should welcome an informed customers request for a PPI, and do whatever it takes to ASSIST the customer with his request, and not try use a sales pressure tactic like a "$500 - $1,000 deposit", thereby making you "obligated" to purchase the car if only "minor" issues are found.

A through PPI should cost you around $200. I've dealt with most of the shops that advertise in Der Gasser and found them all to be reputable for this service.

- IMQKRNU - 09-26-2007

Tim Holt is a direct competitor of mine in the car sales industry.  That said, I can tell you that I have nothing but positive experiences with Tim.  If you are particular about buying a 993 or another older Porsche (993 or before), Tim provides knowledge of the cars, access to records, etc.   I referred a very good client of mine to Tim when he wanted a rare 993 car with service records.  Can we find you a car with the same year and mileage for less?  Usually we can.  However, we sell all makes and models and generate most of our revenue through custom procurement.  Tim invests his hard earned cash in eclectic vehicles that can take months or years to place.  I would figure he is entitled to make a little more than the rest of us on those cars.  I watch him scrutinize cars at Manheim and he typically passes on Porsches that have even the slightest issue.  The PPI is a necessary function of any Porsche buying experience, but no special care is required when dealing with Holt.

- mam911SC - 09-28-2007

I went back and deleted my response concerning Holt. After thinking about it over the weekend, I don't want to air out my experience with Holt on this forum. My perspective is slanted on the negative side so I think it is best just to move on and not vent.

Thanks,

Mike

- JIMK - 09-28-2007

Mike,

You and I read that advice differently.  I saw it and thought "PPI = ALWAYS" but there was no need for "extra scrutiny" of Tim Holt.

Just another reader's perspective.

- catchacab - 09-28-2007

JIMK wrote:
Quote:Mike,

You and I read that advice differently. I saw it and thought "PPI = ALWAYS" but there was no need for "extra scrutiny" of Tim Holt.

Just another reader's perspective.
+1

- Tony356993 - 09-28-2007

Quote:My mistake for not doing a better due diligence on the car. ................ Great, just don't assume that the car is a clean as advertised, with Holt or anyone else. Do your D.D. and be safe and don't assume or trust everything that you are told.
Mike - this is the key to your post. The buyer should be diligent whenever buying a used car, Porsche or otherwise.