Riesentöter Forums
Rate Watkins Glen - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Rate Watkins Glen (/showthread.php?tid=658)

Pages: 1 2 3

- JIMK - 07-10-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Mo men tum

Chris, I have felt your pain. Try that track in a 944NA 145HP at the flywheel.

Momentum

Been there done that!

I usually have some cucumber sandwiches in the car to eat with a fine English tea between the toe the crest of the hill in the boot.

- Darren - 07-10-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Interesting comments about the Glen. Now I realize that it has been a few years since I've been out on the track, but looking back, I really don't miss the Glen at all. I totally miss Summit Point, though.

I agree Chris -- Summit is so much fun in a light good handling car. At our last Summit event I could get my little 2400 lb Acura flying through the 5-9 section, flat out from 6 on, and it's really difficult for heavier cars to keep up. The only place I lose a lot of ground is on the main straight.

I'd get totally killed in the black group at the Glen, there would be two chicanes, me and the busstop.

- ccm911 - 07-10-2007

Darren:

I really want to come back to the track next year, and Summit is the reason.  There is no better feeling than whipping through five and then just trying to stand on it all the way through nine.  The Trak-Ho was just oh-so-fine in that section.  Plus, if we start at Jefferson, there is always the chance of seeing bikes or the SCCA running the big track.

And based on what I am hearing, I bet that Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio would be awesome as well.

And Jim:  We probably would have time to brew that tea on the back straight!Big Grin

- Mark Fox - 07-10-2007

You might want to check out rennlist. There is a thread about boycotting tracks do to poor up keep.  Summit is mentioned.  Shame Bill Scott won't maintain it properly.  It is a fun layout but needs repaved badly.

- Darren - 07-10-2007

I camped out at Summit Point father's day weekend with my son at the last RTR event and we had an absolute blast.  The track is very camper friendly, showers, etc...and you can walk/camp basically anywhere.  There was a great bonfire going the first night, and I remember something about a potato gun...

Compare to Pocono where if our pizza (and wine) dinner isn't over by 6pm, they drive over in pickup trucks sneer, at us because we like to turn right too, and tell us to get lost.

Summit Main is a bit rough in spots -- in terms of looking at everything it has to offer and the reasonable distance away, it's one of my favorite places to go.

If you want a newly paved surface, he has one of those, and it's not being used enough Smile

- ccm911 - 07-11-2007

Darren, good point about Pocono.  And another thing that really irks me is how they lock off a large portion of the garages. I mean, are we really going to damage the garages to the point that a bunch of hayseed, NASCAR pretty-boys would not be able to function on race weekends? 

Pocono Bob and the flag crew are really nice, but that's about it. 

Summit, for all its bumps and potholes, at least has a staff that is well versed in the quaint traddition called "Customer Service".  The people at the gate actually welcome you instead of treating you as an unwanted intruder.  

- catchacab - 07-11-2007

Chris,  What do you do at Summit from turn 9 to 1?  Lean back, put your feet up and enjoy the surroundings?   Now those are two long straights.

I enjoy 4-9 also.  I just wish they would coat 6 with superglue.

- Mark Fox - 07-11-2007

Quote:Chris

Summit, for all its bumps and potholes, at least has a staff that is well versed in the quaint traddition called "Customer Service".  The people at the gate actually welcome you instead of treating you as an unwanted intruder. 

It's called southern hospitality.  VIR provides it along with a real track (IMHO Jefferson and Shenandoah are mickey mouse courses) and smooth surface.  In the end the surface is what we are buying.  

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-11-2007

Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:It's called southern hospitality.
And it's very nice. I just wish we could get the professional-quality corner workers from the Glen to work the tracks at our other venues.

- vego - 07-11-2007

I agree the corner workers at the summit tracks arent the greatest, but it is entertaining to honk your horn as you pass the sleeping corner workers. Tongue

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:It's called southern hospitality.
And it's very nice. I just wish we could get the professional-quality corner workers from the Glen to work the tracks at our other venues.