Riesentöter Forums
NEW PA Law- "No Cell Phone While Driving", - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: NEW PA Law- "No Cell Phone While Driving", (/showthread.php?tid=873)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-15-2007

Way to show those pantywaists, Larry. "I see your cell phone use while driving and raise you an e-mail sent by blackberry while driving."

Of course I have been known to do both, at the same time, not to mention the time I was driving in FL and had calls on two mobile phones at the same time. Rather scared my passenger, but then the road was level and straight.

- larrybard - 10-15-2007

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Way to show those pantywaists, Larry. "I see your cell phone use while driving and raise you an e-mail sent by blackberry while driving."

Of course I have been known to do both, at the same time, not to mention the time I was driving in FL and had calls on two mobile phones at the same time. Rather scared my passenger, but then the road was level and straight.
I figured (hoped?) no one would take me seriously about that.
You, on the other hand, are one serious road warrior. Maybe the way it goes, is green drivers must concentrate solely on driving, blue drivers may operate a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone, white drivers may operate a normal (non-Bluetooth) phone, and black drivers may use two mobile phones at the same time. Red? Maybe they can add a BlackBerry to the mix -- while downshifting, trail braking and entering the esses.

- Wellardmac - 10-15-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Last winter I even saw a woman in a minivan (I know, say no more) talking on the phone while fishtailing on ice. Probably calling her husband to tell him how she's driving dangerously and losing control of the car on ice.

What the hell is so important that it cannot wait until they get home?!? what, are they finding wold peace?
LOL!!!! But then again, if she met with an unfortunate end, it could be considered "thinning of the herd".

Being a scientist I'm a firm believer in evolution and survival of the fittest.

There are times when I hope evolution comes to some faster than others - but hopefully only in a way that they and noone else gets hurt in the process. Big Grin

I thought the blackberry message was funny. I'm generally never amused by driving and cellphone use I've seen too much bad driving as a result. I'm pretty sure that every one of those cellphone using drivers would claim to be a good driver in perfect control of their vehicle... right up until they lost control and killed themselves and others around them.

I was serious about the tickets on cellphone use though - the local governments could make a fortune by enforcing such a law - way more than they do on speeding and with a lot less effort - it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel.

- ccm911 - 10-16-2007

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Of course I have been known to do both, at the same time, not to mention the time I was driving in FL and had calls on two mobile phones at the same time. Rather scared my passenger, but then the road was level and straight.
And was it Cancer you were curing whilst on the phone? Or maybe a solution for world hunger? Spare me......

- larrybard - 10-16-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:And was it Cancer you were curing whilst on the phone? Or maybe a solution for world hunger? Spare me......

And on this 50th anniversary of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, let me suggest, unsolicited, that facilitating our capital markets may not exactly rank up there on a par with curing cancer, but sure is beneficial. (Okay, for the record, I don't think it's generally a good idea to simultaneously drive and use a hand-held phone.)

(Of course a friend once expressed the view that Ayn Rand was the greatest humanitarian since Adolph Hitler, but then again we're all entitled to our opinions, right?)

Larry (defender of dirty capitalism) B.

- ccm911 - 10-16-2007

As long as said facilitation of our capital markets does not drive us from capitalism to the oligopoly present here in Bush's modern America.....but I digress.

I'll stand by my original assessment that talking on two cell phones while driving is neither safe nor prudent, and you would have to go a long way to prove to me that the importance of such calls far outweighs the dangers presented to the other folks on the highway, not to mention the passenger.

Ayn Rand....I am very impressed.  Even though I just read somwhere that she was quite the cranky individual.

- catchacab - 10-16-2007

Yesterday the target was listening to your Walkman while driving.

Today the target is a hand held cell phone. Wearing a head set to talk is ok.

Tomorrow will the target be the radio, talking to a passenger, eating, putting on make-up, or picking ones nose?

Distraction while driving is not good!  The real problem is the number of licensed drivers, that don't know how to drive!

- JIMK - 10-16-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Ayn Rand....I am very impressed.
+1

I was surprised by the reference too, it has been a long, LONG time since I've heard her quoted.

You know what I want...

I want one of those LED scrolls on top of my car with a BIG AS$ horn... so I can blast the horn while flashing "HANG UP AN DRIVE".

Okay, I'd also like to flash "MOVE RIGHT" (it's momentum car thing)

- larrybard - 10-16-2007

JIMK wrote:
Quote:ccm911 wrote: +1
Does that mean you added some "mana"?

- Wellardmac - 10-16-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Yesterday the target was listening to your Walkman while driving.

Today the target is a hand held cell phone. Wearing a head set to talk is ok.

Tomorrow will the target be the radio, talking to a passenger, eating, putting on make-up, or picking ones nose?

Distraction while driving is not good! The real problem is the number of licensed drivers, that don't know how to drive!

I absolutely agree. The driving test is a joke and the average driver has terrible skills, no consideration, and lack of focus on the road.

A lot of the ills of the road can be fixed through tougher driving tests and stricter penalities that make people value the privilege of driving. If you don't want to lose it, then you should be more responsible.

Part of the problem that is harder to fix is a society that is overloaded and inconsiderate. Not much can be done when your attitude to the guy next to you is comparable to something disgusting you might find under your shoe.