Riesentöter Forums
WELCOME TO RTR AUTOX in 2008 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: WELCOME TO RTR AUTOX in 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2

- STEVEMCMORN - 02-27-2008

Max Power wrote:
Quote:What about a gymkhana? Exactly what is a gymkhana anyway? Is that how you spell it? I picture it as what Bobby and Cindy Brady did on the Brady Bunch TV show. i.e. drive thru a really really tight course, maybe even with some reverse driving, and then at the end, see how close you can get your bumper to the egg balanced on the top of a traffic cone without knocking it off. I think they were popular in the 1950s?
......... if you organize it, they will comeWink

- betegh9 - 02-28-2008

Max Power wrote:
Quote: I am looking forward to Autocrossing in 2008! Hopefully RTR can have more than one of our own this year. Smile

What about a gymkhana? Exactly what is a gymkhana anyway? Is that how you spell it? I picture it as what Bobby and Cindy Brady did on the Brady Bunch TV show. i.e. drive thru a really really tight course, maybe even with some reverse driving, and then at the end, see how close you can get your bumper to the egg balanced on the top of a traffic cone without knocking it off. I think they were popular in the 1950s?

Hey Max Power!!
The Brits were big on that fancy trick driving, going forwards and backwards between cones and other barriers in a VERY confined space with the little MG Midgets and alike. If you like shifting between 1st and reverse while the car is rolling in either ( any) direction, be my guest, but I don't think that you'll have many Porsche owners putting their synchros into metal shavings in such a LOW speed excercise.

Your avatar shows a neat oldie............Cool!!

Confusedhock:Confusedhock:Confusedhock:Confusedhock:Confusedhock:Confusedhock:Cool:dude:

- Darren - 03-02-2008

Steve -- I'm looking forward to the RTR autox events this year! 

I know this has been discussed before -- I'd love to see the autox program expanded a little.  Obviously DE is the activity of choice for our club, maybe there are some ways we can bridge the gap between the two?

For example, what if we had an autox event where we had classroom-type instruction and then run a skid pad? Or some other instructional course?  Maybe we could set up a 1-turn course and then have judges grade people on time/performance.

The one thing that DE brings to the table that I don't see autox doing is instruction, which is ironic because the safety level of an autox really lends itself better to instruction.  Yes, I know instructors are available on request -- personally I think it should be more integral to the program.

What if "1st autox" meant your first run was with in instructor? Or first 2 runs?

At RTR DE events I like to work grid mostly because I can see what is going on and find instructors for people who need them (also so I can meet everyone).  Some people's egos lead them to belive they don't need an instructor, but that is unusual.  Often I forcefully suggest they need an instructor, and "almost" every time the drivers have thanked me.

We have a resource of awesome autox drivers/DE instructors -- to start Patrick W, Larry, Nick B.  These guys all love to teach, and I'm sure we have many more people willing to help out, especially many people specifically that are DE Black run group.  The Black DE run group people especially would be great because they probably are on their way to being instructors, and why not instruct first at autox to get comfortable with the idea?

Opinions please Smile

- TwentySix - 03-03-2008

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your interest  Smile

The autocross committee (Steve, Vytenis, and I) have been doing a lot of planning over the winter.  Though the Der Gasser is not out yet (sorry to jump the gun Steve!) we have our own autocross classroom seminar scheduled for May 3rd (the day before our first RTR Roadshow event at Warminster) given by national champion Dave Newman, his awesome 911 will be on display as well.  We are working on having our own ground school, the problem isn't a lack of desire or instructors, it's getting access to a good local lot... our question for all of you is how far are you willing to drive?

- STEVEMCMORN - 03-03-2008

Same as what she said!Big Grin

Darren - we are in total agreement with your thoughts and plans are underway to address all of them - watch this space ... and Der Gasser