Riesentöter Forums
Gas prices - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Gas prices (/showthread.php?tid=1123)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Wellardmac - 04-30-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Wellard, I don't know what you consider good milleage for a race. If you have ever run 10/10ths on a typical circuit for a sprint race, 6 to 7 mpg is average and anything close to 10mpg is stellar. I can watch the gas gauge synchronize with the tach climbing the essess at the Glen.Smile The diesels have proven to run much longer, more green (if that's not a joke) and the 320d won at the Ring in 98. You will see more and more diesels running endurance races in the next year or two.

Bob, your post simply implied that the 1-series will be a more fuel efficient option, and I cautioned that's not necessarily true. The 1-series (well, the european version anyway) shares engines with the 3-series, which on paper should make it a rocket, but the 1-series is not as light as you would expect and only gets (if I remember correctly) 18/26 mpg - which is pretty bad for such a small car.

Now if we're talking diesels, then I've been a convert of diesels for over 20 years considering that my father has run nothing but turbo diesels for at least that long. He was complaining this weekend that if he gets less than 50mpg, then he's not happy.

- bobt993 - 04-30-2008

Wellard,  I am sorry, I thought you knew what car that was.  "120D TDI"

(factory race car) 

There is a big shift to high performance TDI endurance racing cars.  Since this was a DE thread, I saw this as a perfect car for putting around the track during DE's and racing in GTS events with NASA etc.  Torque/power curves put this car as a front runner if you poney up the coin.  ( 90,000, euros). Sad  Keep in mind this is a factory race prepped diesel as Porsche specs the 911 alot of goodies come with this race car.

With almost 50% better fuel economy in a race, the diesel pits about when it needs tires (2hours) perfect for an enduro and driver changes (or double stint). 

- Wellardmac - 04-30-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Wellard, I am sorry, I thought you knew what car that was. "120D TDI"

(factory race car)

There is a big shift to high performance TDI endurance racing cars. Since this was a DE thread, I saw this as a perfect car for putting around the track during DE's and racing in GTS events with NASA etc. Torque/power curves put this car as a front runner if you poney up the coin. ( 90,000, euros). Sad Keep in mind this is a factory race prepped diesel as Porsche specs the 911 alot of goodies come with this race car.

With almost 50% better fuel economy in a race, the diesel pits about when it needs tires (2hours) perfect for an enduro and driver changes (or double stint).

Ahh, no, it just looked like a 1-series to me. Thanks for the heads-up. BMW does a great diesel engine, so I have high expectations for that machine. I'll have to go looking for the specs.

- Darren - 04-30-2008

Lets just run restrictor plates at DE then it will be easier to buy a low HP car.  I say we drop everything down to the SC level.

- AMoore - 05-01-2008

I believe Audi has been racing diesels for a few years now and they have been doing very well.

- Wellardmac - 05-01-2008

...and a timely article on CNN today about gas prices. Smile

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news/international/usgas_price/index.htm?cnn=yes

- Mark Fox - 05-01-2008

If interested in towing junk behind your car, clam shells are a nice option.  Wolfgang tows one behind his 951 and easily gets 4 race tires, large jack, stands, tool box, easy up and chairs packed into it.

- larrybard - 05-01-2008

Any sources you could point me to for the clamshell option for a 993?  Glen's suggested configuration looks promising.

Thanks,

Larry

- Mark Fox - 05-02-2008

I will email Wolf for the info.

- dmano - 05-02-2008

Mark get the info for me also if you can.

Thanks David