Riesentöter Forums
Brake Clinic - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Brake Clinic (/showthread.php?tid=1155)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- George3 - 06-10-2008

Larry,

Please PM me your address and contact info, please.

Thanks............. G

- Larry Herman - 06-10-2008

George, I sent it last week.  I just sent it again.  Let me know if you do not see it.

- Wellardmac - 06-11-2008

Great job Larry! Thanks for having us over. I was amazed at how easy changing pads and bleeding the fluids turned out to be.

- Ccns23 - 06-12-2008

Same here. Thanks again to Larry for being such a gracious host. I had no idea changing out the pads were really that simple.

- George3 - 06-12-2008

Thanks,  Larry.... Great Brake Clinic and fantastic location for it!

- Larry Herman - 06-12-2008

Thanks Guys.  We will have to figure out another topic to cover for maybe an August session.  We started to get into a little suspension/shock discussion after it thinned out.  That may be a good subject, or maybe a primer on wheels, offsets, tires and how it affects the cars related to DE driving.  We can also cover mounting and balancing if that is not too simplistic.

In answer to George's question as to why his car wears out the rear brakes first, it's one of those head-smacking answers...the PSM!  The basic control that PSM exerts over the car is to independently brake either of the 2 rear wheels to correct impending yaw.  If the car is understeering it may brake the outside rear in order to get the car to "follow" the steering input.  If the car is starting to oversteer, it would brake the inside rear to try and stabilze the car.  If either of the rear wheels starts to lose traction under acceleration, it will apply the brake to that wheel to keep it from spinning.  Little wonder why the back brakes show so much wear.  Without PSM, they are usually just along for the ride.

- George3 - 06-12-2008

Ah.... mystery solved !!

Thanks, again !

- AMoore - 06-12-2008

Greata event Larry.

Thanks

- catchacab - 06-12-2008

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Thanks Guys. We will have to figure out another topic to cover for maybe an August session. We started to get into a little suspension/shock discussion after it thinned out. That may be a good subject, or maybe a primer on wheels, offsets, tires and how it affects the cars related to DE driving. We can also cover mounting and balancing if that is not too simplistic.

In answer to George's question as to why his car wears out the rear brakes first, it's one of those head-smacking answers...the PSM! The basic control that PSM exerts over the car is to independently brake either of the 2 rear wheels to correct impending yaw. If the car is understeering it may brake the outside rear in order to get the car to "follow" the steering input. If the car is starting to oversteer, it would brake the inside rear to try and stabilze the car. If either of the rear wheels starts to lose traction under acceleration, it will apply the brake to that wheel to keep it from spinning. Little wonder why the back brakes show so much wear. Without PSM, they are usually just along for the ride.
I was just reading an article about a modified 997GT3 in the latest excellence, and the author stated that there is a rear brake bias on the cars from the factory.

- Larry Herman - 06-12-2008

I'd like to see the article, because out of context, what you quoted does not make a lot of sense.