Riesentöter Forums
Help with Tough Decision (memoirs of a track newb) - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help with Tough Decision (memoirs of a track newb) (/showthread.php?tid=1227)

Pages: 1 2 3

- George3 - 07-16-2008

Glenn,

There's some outstanding advice being offered here, and they are all right.  The problem is..... what is right for you.  As I mentioned earlier, you may want to take your time to decide which direction to go in.  Don't let the deadline of a DE event be your guide.

G

- Darren - 07-16-2008

The more I think about it Glen, I think a racecar SC (a car with a competitive history) is my vote if you want to stay in a Porsche.  Maybe Patrick will give you a ride in his -- that's an awesome car.

The challenge will be that every mistake will be magnified.  But you are mitigating that with a full cage and more safety, and less HP.

- ninjabones - 07-17-2008

Here's an update... WSIB paid me the policy limit.  They asked me to give them a number to keep the car.  I offered $7,400 and they accepted (paying me the policy limit minus $7,400).  So, I get to keep the car, a clean title, and plenty of money to buy a cheap track car (<$15K), new trailex trailer, and trade my daily driver in for a 2006 Cayenne S.

I found some reasonable cars, even a guy who was willing to trade his recently track-prepped 1983 SC for my wreck because he wanted to move on to a new project.   http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=419716

However, if the goal is to have a reliable track car with some cosmetic "blemishes" that is less than $15K, Mike Andrews made the key observation that I already have one.  My car has absolutely no frame damage, only suspension and body panels.  Why not keep my 993 and just bang out the dents and fix the suspension? It'll certainly be a better track car than anything I'll find in that price range, and I won't have to worry about a pristine garage queen any more.  

Over the past few days, I got really luck and was able to find a bunch of parts, including a front bumper (in polar silver, yeah!) and decklid (teal green, ugh!)  from a guy in Princeton who was making some upgrades.  I also may have found all the stock suspension pieces I need from some RTR 993 guys that have done suspension upgrades (ERP links, Evo uprights, etc).   It's going to be tight, but I may have the car back in shape for the Glen.  She won't be pretty, but she should run just fine at least by Summit Point.

- George3 - 07-17-2008

Out of all of this, I happy that the insurance company did not screw you around.  It did not take all that long for them to payout and seems they came through with what they said they would .... and, with minimal hassle.  You are fortunate.

- catchacab - 07-17-2008

Glen,  I am happy it is working out for you, and that you are going to remain in a 993.  Sorry that I do not have any parts that you can use.

- Tony356993 - 07-17-2008

Quote:Sorry that I do not have any parts that you can use.
Me neither. Good luck.

- ninjabones - 07-17-2008

I have to say that I have nothing but positive things to say about WSIB and specifically my agent (Jean DeWitt).  She was incredibly responsive and reassuring during the entire ordeal.  The day I got back from the Glen, I called her and she immediately said "I promise you that we will make this right".  She definitely came through.  It took just about 1 week from the time the body shop submitted the estimates until they rendered a decision and made payment.  They did not send an adjuster out to haggle and force compromises regarding used parts, etc.  They accepted photographs and did not even send an adjuster to examine the vehicle. 

The only hastle with the whole process was that the adjuster was in London. Consequently, communications were a bit difficult and emails always seamed to reach each other when we were out of the office (time zone conflicts).

I can't say enough about how happy I am with the service, professionalism, and speed with which WSIB handled this situation. 

Here's Jean's contact information (let her know I sent you)

WSIB

Jean DeWitt

Director

Wholesale Division

Office: 866.904.9742 Ext. 2507

Fax: 866.974.2329

Email: jeand@wsibinsurance.com

- michael lang - 07-17-2008

Good for you. All's well that ends well so far.

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-17-2008

Great to hear. Hope none of us have insurance claims to make.....