Riesentöter Forums
NJMP Thunderbolt Advanced Day 7/15 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: NJMP Thunderbolt Advanced Day 7/15 (/showthread.php?tid=1748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- betegh9 - 07-13-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:It's not that so much....

I don't know how fast I'm going through T3 at Thunderbolt, but I'm too scared to look! Probably 95 mph I'd guess.

Maybe that's why it scares the AutoX guys Smile

I'm so scared at the track, that I close my eyes in the turns. So far, the Gods have been with me. I got this BAD habit from all the tuff turns in AX. TongueTongue:dude:

- Darren - 07-16-2009

What did you guys thing of the chicane after running it both ways?  Just curious...

- Brian Minkin - 07-16-2009

I enjoyed the track in both configurations.  We ran the chicane in the morning and without in the afternoon. The chicane is certainly slower and added about 4 seconds to laps times but it was fun.  I think for student groups the chicane makes the track easier as turn 3 has a steep penalty if not done properly.  NJMP has extended the curbing on all corners of Thunderbolt and this really helps driving it fast.  

- Trevor McNeill - 07-16-2009

I liked it both ways, but I don't feel like I ever really found the better line through the chicane - plenty of room for improvement in the future.
That being said, I'm happy we removed the chicane for the afternoon as it allowed me to continuously test the 'pucker factor' around T3. I came as close as ever to a true no brake-no lift-full on through T3 and it was amazing how much of a speed differential that offered going up to T4.

For the 3 Day MAW event I would hope that we could mix it up again.

And to Miles and the rest of the gang that worked to put this event together - a HUGE Thank You !!! It was a great day and a fantastic event. Another RTR Winner! Can't wait for The Glen.

Trevor

- ninjabones - 07-16-2009

My wife took some photos yesterday.  I have the high-res files if any of you want them.  

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2127-dsc-2985.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2126-dsc-2981.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2125-dsc-2974.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2124-dsc-2962.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2123-dsc-2959.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2122-dsc-2948.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2120-dsc-2943.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2119-dsc-2891.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2118-dsc-2890.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2117-dsc-2854.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2114-dsc-2847.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2113-dsc-2842.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2112-dsc-2829.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2111-dsc-2818.jpg]

[Image: ninjabones-albums-thunderbolt-picture2110-dsc-2807.jpg]

- Darren - 07-16-2009

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:I think for student groups the chicane makes the track easier as turn 3 has a steep penalty if not done properly. NJMP has extended the curbing on all corners of Thunderbolt and this really helps driving it fast.

Anything that slows things down are good for instructing I guess. I agree about going off after T3, though I remember it being pretty flat there but it didn't seem like a place I wanted go to off....

The chicane is successively decreasing radius right? I think that's why I don't like it, any chain of successively decreasing radius turns I can never figure out whether to go full throttle to every apex or take some kind of "smooth" line. Jefferson backwards is the perfect example of this. I don't know I just want to "power out!" and can't. The esses at Lightning are also like this.

- delanckc - 07-17-2009

Looking at the flames coming out of the #20 car.  Is that the new Batmobile?

Kevin

- opus - 07-18-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:I think for student groups the chicane makes the track easier as turn 3 has a steep penalty if not done properly. NJMP has extended the curbing on all corners of Thunderbolt and this really helps driving it fast.

Anything that slows things down are good for instructing I guess. I agree about going off after T3, though I remember it being pretty flat there but it didn't seem like a place I wanted go to off....

The chicane is successively decreasing radius right? I think that's why I don't like it, any chain of successively decreasing radius turns I can never figure out whether to go full throttle to every apex or take some kind of "smooth" line. Jefferson backwards is the perfect example of this. I don't know I just want to "power out!" and can't. The esses at Lightning are also like this.
So, will we be using the chicane for the Oct 16-18 event at Thunderbolt? Also, what direction are we running?

- Brian Minkin - 07-18-2009

opus wrote:
Quote:So, will we be using the chicane for the Oct 16-18 event at Thunderbolt? Also, what direction are we running?
Discussion at the one day advanced event at Thunderbolt seemed like we would use the chicane for at least part of the weekend. As to direction Thunderbolt only runs one way and that is clockwise.

- George3 - 07-18-2009

Nice pics of the matchbox car.... thanks !!!  Smile

Personally, I do not like the chicane, nor would I encourage it for use with students.  It's way more turns for the student to learn and I think the track is easier to learn and faster without them.  The student will get a sense of accomplishment that much quicker.  Just my humble opinion.