Riesentöter Forums
Who here races cup cars? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Who here races cup cars? (/showthread.php?tid=1896)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Darren - 09-17-2009

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:996s are also dirt cheap right now, with a lot of Koni challenge cars on the market now for less than it would cost you to build a spec boxster.

Yup...and shhh don't tell the 993 guys but the 996 handles better. Actually, doesn't matter they won't believe it anyway.

The 996 in any variation is just a hoot to drive.

- catchacab - 09-17-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:ninjabones wrote:
Quote:996s are also dirt cheap right now, with a lot of Koni challenge cars on the market now for less than it would cost you to build a spec boxster.

Yup...and shhh don't tell the 993 guys but the 996 handles better. Actually, doesn't matter they won't believe it anyway.

The 996 in any variation is just a hoot to drive.
And we have dry sumps, so when we take the corner, we don't worry about oil starvation and or ingestion. Tongue. Our coolant expansion tanks never leak antifreeze on the track, because we don't have themTongue The 964 engine was so good, they used it in the 996 and 997 GT2,3 and turbo. Not that IMS and RMS failing, D clunking, oil ingesting and oil starvated 996 engine.TongueTongueTongue Oh, crap!!! I have two of those cars in my garageSadSadSad

- Darren - 09-17-2009

Oh no doubt I'd rather have the GT3 motor which has the same old bottom end.  The reliability issues are the only issues with the 996 motor.  As it turns out, the IMS issues are really only a problem for cars that aren't driven hard!  Strange as it sounds.....

The 996 is under-appreciated.  Porsche did, however, finally figure out how to make a car handle exceptionally well with the motor in the back.

What production chassis has had as much race engineering go into it as the 996?  Think about all of the money spent on it by Porsche and by race teams.  The aero KILLS 993's.

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-17-2009

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:I've already given you my $0.02 on this issue. It took you a lot longer than me to lose the enchantment with miata racing.
Glen, I do appreciate your thoughts. Let me explain a bit more of my thinking about Spec Miata, though, based on a year of SSM and SM with the SCCA MARRS series and six races in MX-5s here in the UK. These cars are low HP so to be fast one must be right at the limit everywhere on the track, particularly entering the turns. The fields are large and many drivers are very close in ability. The racing is therefore very tight.

I am not nearly as proficient as most of the drivers, particlularly here in the UK. Whether that is getting to know the MX-5 (more HP and less grip than SSM cars), learning the track in qualifying, still not getting the standing starts very well (it is HARD!), not having had years racing karts before getting in a car or whatever, I cannot say, but the lap times speak for themselves--mine suck. It's not so much that I've lost the enchantment of SSM, it's more that in the time I have to race I doubt I will gain the proficiency I would need to run at the front. So I'm thinking about a faster car in a less competetive class, whether that is SPBOX or GTC2. It would also be nice to have a car that can work in a DE as well as a race so that I can concentrate on one car and not two.

Glen, I encourage you (and others here) to rent a SSM car for a SCCA MAARS race next year. I think it is enough different from the NASA racing you have done to merit a try. Being among 45-50 cars barrelling into T1 at Summit Point is a kick. Not lifting for T4 and being flat from T6 to T10 is a skill. Different than driving a G Stock or GTC2 car no doubt, but challenging, particularly when you are surrounded by other cars.

- George3 - 09-18-2009

Chris,

That's not a problem at all.  I'm a new Miata enthusiast now, too.  And, I've found some Miata sites which show you how to turbo one of those cars.  In the straights, all you need to do then is to put the BFH down.  (LOL)

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-18-2009

George, you're a serial car driver. You change your cars more often than I change my underwear. Wink

I've seen those turbo'd Miatas, and they are fast, but there is no class to race them in!

- George3 - 09-18-2009

That's ok.

Some people say I have no class.  Tongue Tongue

- Darren - 09-18-2009

Just wait until Mike Ellis brings his LS4 powered Miata to the track!  I've seen it, its a beast!

- George3 - 09-18-2009

Who is Mike?

I think I may need to talk with him.  Cool

- fasthonda - 09-27-2009

there is a class for the turbo miatas in NASA;  ST-2 (power to weight class;  8.7:1 is the cutoff.   i've seen a miata or two (both turbo and supercharged) running there...

it's a pretty fast class;  at the last VIR race, there were 10 cars;  fastest lap was turned by my client in a 2006 EVO (a low 2:06;  but that car can definitely go faster there!);  from 2:06 to 2:10 there were a bunch of ST-2 cars;  mostly P cars and C5 vettes and an old WC Caddy CTS-V. 

so, yes you can race a turbo miata if you want to!  LOL!   i'd guess you'd want to aim for about 275 whp or so, assuming you'd be around 2400lbs with driver in the miata....   that would be a fast, fun lil miata!  Smile