Riesentöter Forums
What are RTR's current thoughts? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: What are RTR's current thoughts? (/showthread.php?tid=22)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Phokaioglaukos - 08-14-2006

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:Chris,

If we could get a date, I'd be glad to organize a race. And there's no doubt a number of other people interested in helping out.

I'd be glad to talk to you about club racing...... Just give me acall, stop me at an event or club meeting. August's club meeting is race cars of RTR at AWE, that might be a great location (or this weekend at the Glen).

Years ago PCA had a club race document, I can only assume it's grown from there.

Mike, I missed this when you posted it, but I did see your post on Rennlist http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showpost.php?p=3313062&postcount=131.

I'll look for you at Summit Point next week. I very much would like to help RTR run a club race, and of course we're all excited about Thunderbolt!

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-13-2007

Just checking in. Looks like Thunderbolt will be a reality in 2008, so do we want to run a club race there, perhaps combined with a DE? Any further word on what dates we might be able to get at Thunderbolt?

- Larry Herman - 03-13-2007

Personally, we should have a separate DE date and a club race date.  I think that with the right race date, we could get over 200 entrants alone.  You could have a DE day before the race, like on a Thursday, but that will tax the volunteers to the max, having to get enough people to cover 4 days of service.

Genesee Valley BMW CCA runs a three-day event at the Glen, partly DE and partly club race. They just slot practice, qualifying and the race in among the DE run groups and it worked surprisingly well. Of course they have been doing that for years and are well organized. For a first time in a long time event separating race and DE events might be easier for us.

First, if we are going to do this next year it seems that we should start planning now. I have NO experience with this, but it occurs to me that we need dates from Thunderbolt when we can sponsor events as the first priority. Someone wrote here that RTR had requested dates. Can we get an update on what response we have had and what timetable Thunderbolt is on?

Second, it seems to me that we need some committed organizers for a club race. Those of us (not including me) who race probably know alot already, but I suspect they want to race, not work the race. I volunteer this year to attend one or more club races in the area to shadow the sponsoring club staff members in an efforr learn how it's done, if that is useful and someone can introduce me to the right people.

What is the way to push this forward, those of you with real experience? I have enthusiasm, but no experience or expertise.

- Larry Herman - 03-13-2007

Chris, if you are only getting 100~125 club racing entrants to a track like the Glen, 2 race groups and 2 DE groups are do-able.  If you get 200+ racers, then you need 4 race groups, and that is the entire day, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

GVC runs three DE groups and one race group.

I think our first issue is whether we have requested dates from Thunderbolt that would work for a club race/DE or club race. Second is when we will know what dates we will get. Third is how the club as a whole wants to use those dates.

- Racingswh - 03-13-2007

Why do you want it to be a race weekend?  AFAIK most of the RTR people participating in track events participate in DE, not racing.  I think you would have a sellout DE event if the track turns out to be what they expect. 

Race weekends are hectic.  DE weekends are nice and leisurely, a time to spend with friends having a great time doing what we love to do.  I am not sure I see a reason for us to mix the two. 

- Larry Herman - 03-14-2007

Race weekends are fun events.  A well run Club Race brings prestige to our club, and if well attended, with proper sponsorship, can generate more income than every other event combined. 

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-14-2007

From where I sit, I'd like to see us add a DE at Thunderbolt AND a race, either combined or two separate events, depending on whether we can get reasonable dates. Maybe drop a Pocono date (and move MAW to Thunderbolt). There must be great competition for dates at Thunderbolt, but that is what I'd like to be able to do.

Who from RTR is talking with Thunderbolt?

- smankow - 03-14-2007

I agree that a race should be separate from DE.  I also agree with Larry that a well run, well attended event can provide financial windfall to the region.  I'm also certain that a poorly run event can provide the opposite.

We have a great DE reputation, which I'd hope can translate back into Club Racing.  In order to do this, I think that Chris has a great idea in starting to plan for it now, even without dates.  Should we formalize things with a RTR Club Race committee?  I don't know.  Similar to Chris, I also don't have a background in organizing these events, but would love to learn.

What we would need to run an outstanding event?  When the time comes, hopefully our racing vets will help with the do's and don'ts of the weekend along with what would make the event even better.  Has someone published "Organizing A Club Racing For Dummies" yet?  Big Grin

Steve