Riesentöter Forums
Safety Tech Tips - Wheel Torque - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Safety Tech Tips - Wheel Torque (/showthread.php?tid=2639)

Pages: 1 2 3

- emayer - 03-03-2011

KennyB wrote:
Quote:Chris,

The aftermarket studs for our cars don't have the flange and splines, just threads. And they need to be set in with Lock-Tite. They can be backed out, obviously, if they need to be changed.

I'm kinda liking wht Joe has said.

Eric,

You'll have no problem at Tech. The club has acquired a very long breaker bar to which a running board has been welded. Paul, Steve Hoagland, and 2 other designated tech workers will stand on the breaker bar once fitted to your centerocks, and bring the torque up to the specified 950 ft-lbs.

I envision a Flinstone scenario here whereby the wheel stays put and the car flips onto its roof!

Thinking that the day will come where it'll be necessary to perform this trackside, I took off one wheel. It required checking the manual and rennlist for advice, recruiting my brother who laughed at me the whole time, and much cursing in English and German (happens when I'm REALLY pissed!) to get the job done. There should be a bench-press or curling minimum before they sell you the car. Smile

This is typical German engineering. To add insult to injury, Porsche conveniently sells a torque multiplier wrench which must be honed from unobtanium as it costs a fortune! Uh Oh. I'm starting to curse in German again....

- betegh9 - 03-03-2011

emayer wrote:
Quote:cjbcpa wrote:
Quote:Funny,

I was garaged near a guy at T-bolt last October who had centerlocks his Porsche.

He asked for my help putting his wheels on. Not sure how much of this was drama for my benefit, but it was some absurd multi-step process putting those on. In the end, he had this humongous torque wrench with an extended breaker bar on it that was necessary to get the torque up high enough to the factory setting.

Maybe Porsche has made a secret pact with folks like Doughtery's to make it almost mandatory to hire track-side service.

CB

You nailed it!

Repair shops, wheel manufacturers, tool suppliers and my chiropractor are the only ones benefitting from this change...

Nick, is a tire warmer kinda like a "fluffer"?! Big Grin
Eric! I don't care about a fluffer........... get someone else for that. I meant to be your co-driver. If you would do high level AX competition with your beast, the only way to be competitive is if you have a TIRE WARMER....... person driving the course to warm the tires for the second driver. No other means of tire warming is allowed.

- betegh9 - 03-03-2011

emayer wrote:
Quote:
I envision a Flinstone scenario here whereby the wheel stays put and the car flips onto its roof!

Thinking that the day will come where it'll be necessary to perform this trackside, I took off one wheel. It required checking the manual and rennlist for advice, recruiting my brother who laughed at me the whole time, and much cursing in English and German (happens when I'm REALLY pissed!) to get the job done. There should be a bench-press or curling minimum before they sell you the car. Smile

This is typical German engineering. To add insult to injury, Porsche conveniently sells a torque multiplier wrench which must be honed from unobtanium as it costs a fortune! Uh Oh. I'm starting to curse in German again....

Eric, don't get frustrated........... for less than the price of the wrench, go to Home depot, buy a cheap air compressor and hose. Then stop on your way home at Habor Freight, off Germantown Pike and get a 300# impact gun and the corresponding socket head for your wheel single lug nut. Pretty soon you be able to do your wheels like those monkeys in F-1..... Big Grin Oh! do the process in reverse, the cfm of the compressor must be more than what the impact gun requires.:dude: