Riesentöter Forums
Cones: turn in, apex and track out, or not? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Cones: turn in, apex and track out, or not? (/showthread.php?tid=358)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Graham - 03-11-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Graham wrote:
Quote:Cones are good, they make for an easy reference point.
Graham, So what happens when we take the cones away. The cows move so you cant us them for reference points. And there is not a drug dealer on every corner like there is in the ghetto.Big Grin

And remember, according to Brian, "there is not a drug dealer on every corner like there is in the ghetto."... Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Good point...Big Grin

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-11-2007

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Chris, not everyone agreed. I can tell you from the instructors meeting that it was less than 50%.
Understood, Bob. I was judging based only on what I saw at the drivers meeting. The discussion in the instructors meeting would be a more accurate and complete indicator. I tried to make this poll fun, but no one should think that it should be binding on the instructor corps. There are many years of experience at hand, and we should all benefit from them. For a new driver I agree that the cones are a good guide, and more experienced drivers should be able to ignore them and use hard points as references. That said, I would like to see the cones used only on the first day of a multi-day event and not at all should we sponsor some events for advanced drivers only.

I appreciate the thoughtful comments on this thread.

- AMoore - 03-12-2007

I am a new student with only two events under his belt.  I realize the dangers of tunnel vision, and jerky movements, but I believe the pros outweigh the cons.  Moreover, the experienced drivers should be able to avoid these pitfalls.  I thing the beginning driver with the help of his instructor benefits from understanding how following the line makes for a better, safer driving experience.  The instructor can more easily explain this by referring to the cones.  Of course the instructer still needs to remind the beginning driver that the cones are only a frame of reference, and one must not jerk into a turn at the first sign of a cone.  A beginning driver must also be warned that cones tend to move.

- Tony356993 - 03-12-2007

Aaron,

Thanks for your feedback. This is what this forum is all about. We all (students, intermediates & instructors) can have some dialog for the betterment of the program.

- Wally - 03-14-2007

Cones! What cones? I don't see no stinking cones.  I just picked up on this thread and have found it very interesting.  My thoughts on the question are that it should be left up to the instructors entirely.  For the first timer the cones are a great training aid.  At our last event at Summit the track seemed different to me on the second day, but I couldn't  think of why until someone told me the cones were removed.  I was taught in another activity a long time ago that when your velocity increases linearly, your scan and focus down range must increase exponentially.  Let your sub-conscious control your physical inputs and concentrate on your next moves.  As your speed increases your concentration and discipline should get sharper and your vision broader. I hope I'm making sense for my 2 Grosz's worth of input.Smile

- Tony356993 - 03-14-2007

Makes sense to me. This is a topic that we will continue to explore.

- LouZ - 03-14-2007

Wally wrote:
Quote:
Quote: Let your sub-conscious control your physical inputs and concentrate on your next moves. As your speed increases your concentration and discipline should get sharper and your vision broader.
As Obe-one says "Feel the force, Luke"Tongue