Riesentöter Forums
Passing Signals - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Passing Signals (/showthread.php?tid=402)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Tony356993 - 03-22-2007

I agree. White was very good at watching mirrors and had very few trains. I went out with Marty and got to drive Wally's ride and the white driver's did a nice job.

- Sechsgang - 03-22-2007

J.Smith wrote:
Quote:Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:were you in the blue group?
White (what Tony calls the "slow guys"). White was actually a great group this weekend. Not one black flag, great passing signals, and really no train issues.

ya, i was in the blue and it was OK...at times there were HUGE trains and it took atleast 3 laps to get out of...I also found myself behind people that thought it was cool to have a TT behind them and not have it pass...

the last run was AWESOME though...next to no traffic and a lot of great drivers (would have been at home in white most likely)...

Ill admit...I was envious of the white...looked like a great overall time!

BTW>..I saw the red 944 at dougherty's today...wow...that thing hit HARD..;.

- michael lang - 03-23-2007

Well, I don't have much experience for reference on this, but I would think patience and traffic management would be the keys to not being hung up by someone in front of you. I do understand the whole concept of how it feels to be stuck behind someone for extended period of time, but getting back to Tony's topic point, I also understand having someone pass w/out a signal & Brian's point about drivers taking their time getting around. Especially when you are driving as hard as you can and that turn is coming up fast but the driver going around you has just gotten to your 1/4 panel and is not letting up forcing you to go wide and throw your whole rythm out of wack. Only a thought from a newbie. I still enjoy the rush, regardless of the risks!

- smankow - 03-23-2007

maybe I missed something here, but why did the passing car feel the need to "get back in line" going to the turn?  At my 2nd event, I was taught how to safely handle late pass signals.  Why didn't the passing car stay off-line?

- Sechsgang - 03-23-2007

^^ I dont know...but going into the esses at over 110 mph in a big car on street tires feels much nicer when allowed the full line rather then having to compromise...its not a must or anything...I just like the signal somewhat early so I could GET back on line if possible...

- Racingswh - 03-23-2007

I have watched some good video lately of advanced run groups and it looks like passes are taken both ways even in our region.  In the videos I see advanced guys taking passes with what looks to be no signal but they may be just hard to see. 

I think DE with no signal required would lead to more car to car contact in the lower run groups and maybe all of them (I've seen everyone "race" karts Big Grin).   I don't think anyone wants that.  For those who want to pass without signals I think they should try club racing or time attack events. 

- bobt993 - 03-23-2007

If you get an inside late pass approaching the uphill essess at VIR.  Apex to the left curb and straighten out the entry to the first crest slightly trailing the brakes before the crest (left foot if your comfortable).  This will give corrected turn in, settle the car and continue back on line.  Car behind simply must wait.  I would get at least one pass a session like this in red group during the past weekend.   This adds the "E" for education back into a DE event.  Try it and learn.  Steve mentioned passing car moves "offline", don't get back over  unless there clearly is room.  Proceed offline into the next turn and adjust your line.  If there was oil on the track , you would "avoid" the slippery spot and adjust your line.  Practice this with passing and your driving skills will vastly improve.  Big Grin