Riesentöter Forums
Help choosing new track tires for the 993 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help choosing new track tires for the 993 (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Mike Andrews - 06-09-2008

Larry,

Are you talking about replacing them before or after the event?  If you can, replace them after the event.  Full tread depth tires don't like track events....

- ninjabones - 06-09-2008

Larry:

Over the winter, I ordered Kumho Ecsta MXs direct from Tire Rack and had them shaved to 6/32" (original depth 10/32')  These are their highest performance street tire.  They handled like a dream, incredibly sticky, and had great audible feedback and were very predictable at the limits.  The wear rating on the kumhos is 200, but they didn't last very long for me (9 track days and two long-distance trips to VIR and Summit point).  However, the reason they wore fast was that I spent every opportunity I could this winter in an empty parking lots working on car control and spin recovery.   I think I paid $860 shipped (extra $20 per tire to have them shaved).  This is the tire that the spec miata guys were using a while back.  I think they would be a good compromise tire for you, just shy of r-compound and reasonably cheap.  The yokohama advan neova's and the michelin PS-2s may be better tires, but they are a lot more expensive. 

Aaron and Dan, you guys may want to chime in here as I believe you have had less than positive things to say about your Ecsta MX tires (full tread depth and on 17" rims may explain some of the difference in performance)

- larrybard - 06-09-2008

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:Larry,

Are you talking about replacing them before or after the event? If you can, replace them after the event. Full tread depth tires don't like track events....

Mike,

Definitely afterwards. I'm so cheap (though I try not to be "pound foolish") that I intend to get the last few 32nds out of the current tires before I replace them.

Then I can break in the new ones before WGI. Maybe I'll locate Glenn's parking lots to do so.

Larry

- AMoore - 06-09-2008

I got my Kumho MX tires in November.  They were inexpensive and they hold up surprisingly well for a tire with a treadwear rating of 200.  I notice no significant wear and have had them for three events, including driving to and from Summit twice and Pocono once.  I was not as impressed with the tire as Glen because I felt they had more sidewall flex.  This was remedied when I increased the tire pressure to well over 40 cold per the manufacturers recommendations.  18s are likely to have less flex. 

Nonetheless, I believe I am ready for more grip but still want a tire I can drive to the track.  Accordingly, I believe I will be purchasing Nitto NT 01s (100 treadwear rating).  They won't last as long as the Kumho but I don't drive the car in the street much.

Many R Compound tires manufactueres suggest that they be shaved and / or heat cycled. 

For comparison ( the lower the number, generally the softer and grippier the tire)

Continental Contiprocontact 600

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 400

Kumho MX 200

Kumho V 700 50

Goodrich G Force R1 40

Hoosier A6 40

Nitto NT 01 100

Pirelli P Corsa 60

Michelin PS Cup 80

Hope this helps.