Riesentöter Forums
DE insurance - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: DE insurance (/showthread.php?tid=1699)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- emayer - 06-06-2009

Caveat Emptor!

I'm not disputing the accuracy of what people are saying in respect to automobile policy coverage but if it were me I'd certainly want that verified in writing....

The liability issue is a vaild one for which I'm not certain there is a solution.  I'm no lawyer but to me DE is much like skiing in that we are collectively assuming an element of personal risk for engaging in the sport, verified also by signing the waivers.  That said, nothing is going to prevent a lawsuit, just not sure how far it would go.

I recall a case several years ago were a Carrera GT driver and passenger were killed in an on track incident.  I know lawsuits had been filed against everyone including Porsche.  Not certain of the outcome though, perhaps others have heard of this case.

- KennyB - 06-06-2009

Steve, George

Couldn't agree with you more.  I am trying to get written confirmation.  I don't know if your State Farm policy had a written exclusion, or exclusionary language, but the Allstate policy does not.  That I checked.

Eric,

The CGT case was well-publicized on the boards a while back.  I don't know the outcome either.  The issue there was an allegedly negligent flagger who flagged the CGT onto the track even though there were other cars rapidly approaching pit-out.  Sounds like human error, probably negligence.

- Mike Andrews - 06-07-2009

KennyB wrote:
Quote:

Eric,

The CGT case was well-publicized on the boards a while back. I don't know the outcome either. The issue there was an allegedly negligent flagger who flagged the CGT onto the track even though there were other cars rapidly approaching pit-out. Sounds like human error, probably negligence.

Ken,

The flagger waived a Ferrari out onto the track and the guy didn't go right away. When he did finally did get moving he entered the track in front of Ben (the guy driving in the CGT) and Cory (his passenger - his wife was the one that sued). Ben tried to move around him and lost control of the car and ended up striking a barrier.

I have my opinion as to what all went wrong but I don't see any negligence. Unfortunately I was not on the jury.

- George3 - 06-07-2009

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:Ken,

The flagger waived a Ferrari out onto the track and the guy didn't go right away. When he did finally did get moving he entered the track in front of Ben (the guy driving in the CGT) and Cory (his passenger - his wife was the one that sued). Ben tried to move around him and lost control of the car and ended up striking a barrier.

I have my opinion as to what all went wrong but I don't see any negligence. Unfortunately I was not on the jury.

This is the perfect example of why it is so vital to stress the importance of the "blend line" and how to properly and correctly enter the track... even more so by pointing your arm out the window in "point-by" fashion letting oncoming traffic know that you see them and are letting them by.

This practice and technique should be continually preached in every classroom and at every driver’s meeting at every event.

- KennyB - 06-07-2009

Mike,

Thanks for getting the story straight for us.  You obviously know more about the incident than I got from my in-depth internet research.

And I certainly agree with George.  Anything/everything we can do to make our fun safer is worth preaching.

- pearlcoupeg35 - 06-09-2009

Fellas,

As the sponsoring insurance agency of the RTR Website/Forums id be happy to answer any questions about this offline.

Many of you have had MUCH more track experience than me and it shows just by reading this thread....however, not EVERYTHING in this thread is true.  I wont go into online (and its not a big deal) but lets just say that DE Coverage is a VERY "Case by Case" basis.  Never take someones word -- read your policy -- and if it feels 'too good to be true' it most likely is.

That all being said, i dont even offer a TRUE Track Policy in my agency --- i would recomend those websites mentioned above --- however I do have a few options for the casual DE driver.

Safe Driving!

Jon Wright

www.wrightagencyinsurance.com

Big Grin

- Terry - 06-09-2009

The CGT case settled. Even Porsche paid, although a relatively small amount compared to the track,  the Ferrari Club which sponsored the event and, I believe, the flaggers. The decedent was a young man with an astounding earning capacity (he was riding in the CGT with a view toward buying it) and,as is always true, the plaintiff's lawyer had come up with viable negligence theories against all of the defendants. These theories could have been rejected by the jury but that would have been highly uncertain. The big issue for us was whether the release would hold up but I recall that California law was significantly weaker than Pennsylvania's in this area and that would have gone to the jury as well. The plaintiff's lawyer was not a Ralph Nader type but was actually an SCCA racer who had a good understanding of the issues. I gather that he did not go for the brass ring or the case might not have settled.

- rbasales - 06-12-2009

Great News from PCA on HDPE insurance.
[size=PCA is pleased to announce a new member benefit program for its members.  We have entered into an association with Lockton Affinity who has created a Driver Education insurance program specifically tailored for our members.  In addition to providing this coverage, Lockton has agreed to offer exclusively to PCA members a 10 percent discount on HPDE insurance premiums!  For most of us using this service, the savings will more than pay for our yearly PCA membership dues!  ][/size]

- larrybard - 06-12-2009

rbasales wrote:
Quote: Lockton has agreed to offer exclusively to PCA members a 10 percent discount on HPDE insurance premiums!

That sounds pretty good -- if Lockton offers coverage and rates that are already competitive with whatever is available from other insurers.

Has anyone already obtained a quote from them and compared it to competitors?

- rbasales - 06-12-2009

They are competitive. They offer a $1000 deductible where WSIB is $2500 to $3000 deductible. WSIB does offer a yearly policy that the premium is based on number of events. 1-5,6-10, 11-15 etc. I guess you need to figure your cars value, number of events, deductible ETC. For my "05" 997S, 11-15 events, the quote is $1900. Any racing or timed events are specifacally excluded. The last time a insured from Lockton the premium was $287. Before the PCA discount. The difference in the deductible is the big difference. If you dont have a claim the WSIB is the better deal.
 I will probably go with the Locktos.n for the next couple event