Riesentöter Forums
'ring School for 2008? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 'ring School for 2008? (/showthread.php?tid=843)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- bobt993 - 12-29-2007

Eric, from what I recall, the article was written using data from PCA stats of "reported" incidents.  I am sure there is some missing data (unreported).  I understood this to be a per event average whether 1,2 or 3day.  I would like to think I am safer on the track than the street, but reality tells me otherwise.  I like you, feel there are more variables within our own control on the track, but speed and car stress factor into offsetting that.  If you really feel strongly about this then convince the insurance companies that lost money to reinvest in the track programs and we will all be happy. 

- catchacab - 12-29-2007

The issue with the insurance companies relates to the dollars at risk.  Historically, older cars (although many highly modified) were driven in PCA DE events.  Recently, late model high expensive models have been more prevalent at PCA DEs (GT3, Turbos, etc)  Add to this the increased costs to repair modern cars (designed to absorb impact forces to protect the occupants at the expense of damage to the car)  Additionally, as  the cars have gotten faster, damage due to incidents have gotten worse.  Put all this together, insurance dollars paid to repair and replace these vehicles has outpaced insurance company income from these same vehicles.  To unfairly raise premiums to all those who own high performance cars but not necessarily track them to make up for this expense, was a choice the insurance companies did not want to make.  To protect themselves they have excluded coverage for incidents on the track.

If we were all driving 1982 SCs on the track, we probably would not have come to this juncture.  

- Sechsgang - 12-29-2007

way to go in making me feel like crap then with my fast lead-sled!

ok, I guess I dont feel that bad...muahahha

- catchacab - 12-29-2007

You just need to drive in deer free zones

- bobt993 - 12-29-2007

Eric, that would be valid if the insurance policies were not based on value to begin with.  Insurance was always quoted on a percentage of the cars value with a large deductable (typically 20% of the agreed value).   It has become expensive to fix almost any Porsche that has a track accident.  (now spec Miatas, that would be a better option).  I really think it is unfair to tell someone to come do track events because it is safer than driving on the street.  If you ask any instructor or veteran DE driver, they will respond that it is a matter of when not if they have a track incident.   Sh*t happens, just take a count of cars with dents after one weekend in  November. Smile

- Sechsgang - 12-29-2007

I dont avoid deers...they avoid ME!

- Phokaioglaukos - 12-30-2007

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:I would like to think I am safer on the track than the street, but reality tells me otherwise.

Thought I'd flag this straight line for others. It's too large a target for me! Big Grin

DE is structured to minimize car-to-car contact. I cannot recall an incident in a DE where there was damage to a car caused by another car directly. I have seen many single car incidents, mostly where someone pinched a trackout, and a few that were triggered by another car, such as a following car target-fixating on or following a spinner, but not one car collecting another as happens in racing. I have also seen DE incidents caused by antifreeze on the track or other similar issues. DE is a not a "safe" sport, but as we learned in motorcycle safety course, nothing is 'safe." One just needs to manage risks.

- bobt993 - 12-30-2007

Chris,  I agree 100% with your statement.  We also minimize the number of cars per mile in order to avoid metal to metal contact.  I have seen at close to a dozen car on car contacts over the years, but most were with other clubs and other regions of PCA.  Part of the draw for DE is the adrenaline/risk.   I see it as similar to rock climbing:  You can climb with a rope in case you miss a hand hold.  Yes, you can fall and get hurt, but the more preparation you make and safety gear you bring, the less likely you will fall far. 

- michael lang - 12-31-2007

The new podcast section of the PCA website has a feature interview with Pete Tremper. Oddly enough he says that one of the biggest reservations that drivers have when participating in DE is not messing up their body or getting hurt, it's banging up their ride. Maybe that's why I say to myself everytime I go out, "Oh God, please don't let me mess my car up!"