Riesentöter Forums
Der Gasser- Letter to Editor - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Der Gasser- Letter to Editor (/showthread.php?tid=1868)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- George3 - 09-08-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:I bought Fred lunch the first day of DE as a "thank you" - (a very small one I might add)

That will most definitely earn you points !! Tongue

- ccm911 - 09-09-2009

I finally got the Der Gasser with the "letter".  What was the big deal?  Sure beat the usual assortment of "Valentines to the Editor".

- Darren - 09-09-2009

I started a thread/poll on Rennlist about the question of instructor fees for DE, in case you're interested:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/522948-should-instructors-have-to-pay-for-de.html

- emayer - 09-09-2009

That's a great idea Darren.  Curious to see what the feedback will be.

I just spent 3 days at the Glen with the NY FCA club.  Fee was $450 with 3X 20 minute and 2X 30 minute sessions daily.  The instructor ratio was 1:1 with 3 instructors extra!  The classroom didactics included run group video footage shot from various key corners for discussion.  Lunch was provided for 2 days by participating vendors.  Paddock space was sold at $50 each, instructors were not given preference in this instance.

I realize this isn't necessarily a fair apples to apples comparison, but my concern for our club is that people will be less inclined to participate in our DEs or instruct when other programs like this exist.  IMHO we need a fresh look at this....

I try to take of my instructors like George when possible- his GT2 should be arriving soon.....  Smile

- dmano - 09-10-2009

Porshagod wrote:
Quote:George3 wrote:
Quote:
I for one, support the need for hard copy print issues of Der Gasser. We don't need 12 monthly issues, but I think we need more than we have now.
I agree 100% and that we should go back to the 10 issue format. BTW- I am also a member of the Gold Coast Region and they publish 12 monthly issues of their newsletter every year, 30+ pages, and in COLOR! So why is there such an issue with the DerGasser?

I understand cost is an issue, so I propose that we let members choose how they would like to receive the their monthly newsletter, either by mail or online. By mailing copies ONLY to the members that ask, that should greatly reduce the cost of publishing and postage, thereby offsetting to costs of the added issues.
I mention this same thing last year when the DG issues were brought up and was told a flat out NO

- Brian Minkin - 09-10-2009

Having an opt out option for De Gasser is not as easy as it appears to be.  We get our mailing list of members monthly from National PCA.  RTR does not keep membership records.  This service is supplied by national PCA.  There is not a provision in the national database for an opt out field for local newsletters.  To achieve this RTR would have to start maintaining its own database of member records and do additions, deletions and address changes every month.  Anybody up for this job? In addition new members would need to be contacted by a representative of RTR and asked if they opt in or out of the local newsletter.

I am running for Editor next year and I hope we will find a way to continue delivering a quality local newsletter in printed format. How many issues a year depends on budget numbers that come from membership dues and advertising income. Perhaps a change in format that would reduce production costs may help. The board has already taken steps that reduced postage costs which are the largest single component of the cost to publish a printed newsletter.  Unfortunately the poor financial condition of the USPS probably means that postage costs will go up and erode this savings.

Other regions have the luxury of having a huge base of advertisers to support their newsletter but that is not the case for RTR.  RTR will continue to have a newsletter for its members but monthly may not be possible unless it becomes an electronic newsletter.

- Graham - 09-10-2009

To add a bit more to the Der Gasser comments; this year we succeeded to go online with the newsletter, in a pdf format.  That can be seen every month on the Web including back issues.  However, to add an "opt out of mailing & go green" option, much like the banks are doing, requires us to keep a database.  Not difficult, just would have to be organized and planned, hopefully for 2010.

Whoever becomes editor next year, we hope that that initiative can be a priority, This will allow those us to receive our newsletter via email only, should we so desire.  This will save a few trees a few more bucks for the club. 

Graham

President 2009

- emayer - 09-11-2009

Getting back to the DE topic a bit....

Hopefully everyone has had a chance to review Darren's thread on Rennlist.  There are varied opinions but a few ideas emerge:

1.  There is universal agreement that no instructor should have more than 2 students.  Many do not feel comfortable with 2, but recognize the present need.

2.  The vast majority support some form of incentive.  The program that seems most fair is a discounted track fee based on the number of students (ex. 50% for one student and 100% for two) which is credited at the end of the event to ensure instructor compliance.  This could potentially include some other percs such as paddock space, T-shirts etc.

3.  A few have also mentioned reorganization of run groups to permit instructor downtime.

I'm sure more seasoned and wiser club leaders have considered these options though it would be interesting to hear whether such a program could be implemented.  Of course, it would mean higher track fees for the rest of us but I don't think this would be in excess of what other clubs are charging.  One could argue that it could help offset current losses by generating more interest amongst the upper run groups.....

- catchacab - 09-11-2009

emayer wrote:
Quote:Getting back to the DE topic a bit....

3. A few have also mentioned reorganization of run groups to permit instructor downtime.

One way to increase instuctor downtime would be to increase the time of the white run group to 40 minutes. We can also change the run group schedule to:

1. Red
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. White
6. Green
7. White

As you can see this schedule will allow instuctors sufficient rest time. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

- George3 - 09-11-2009

No, you have it all wrong...

It should be . . .

1. White
2. Black
3. White
4. Blue
5. White
6. Green
7. White