Riesentöter Forums
Financial Shakeup this weekend - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Financial Shakeup this weekend (/showthread.php?tid=1090)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- porsh111214 - 03-19-2008

Can I bring my P-car?

- Darren - 03-19-2008

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Americans have always been taught to conform. Non-conformists in American high schools are called trouble-makers, or put on ADD drugs. If you cause trouble in a high school today you're in for a world of hurt.

The education system in this country is not about teaching kids to think, it's about teaching them to be corporate drones - all wear the same uniform of jeans and Polo shirts, all guided by mass media, and all think the same way. Honestly.
Pinch me, I think I agree with everything you said in that post. My son, first grade, his teacher complains that he gets bored -- well duh, he's a kid and school can get boring. I get bored at work too! He also has to learn how to play by the "rules" while he is in school, so I'm trying to lead him that way. Sometimes you just have to do what is expected -- and I hate it when I talk like that.

She said something to me to the effect of "he has to do well in school so that he can get a good job". He is 6! As she said it I resented every word -- is that really why we raise kids so they can grow up and get miserable jobs and go to an office every day? We make life so complicated and get miserable about things that have nothing to do with life.

The talk about boats fits in well with this conversation.

Here's a quote from Sterling Hayden, who became an actor (he was Jack D. Ripper in Strangelove) after fishing and racing schooners in Maine....

[indent]
To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... cruising, it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about. I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone. What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life
[/indent]

- ccm911 - 03-19-2008

Damn, that was good!!!!

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-19-2008

One of the neat things about the Philadelphia area are the many excellent Quaker schools. We've been happy with Germantown Friends.

- dmano - 03-19-2008

catchacab wrote:
Quote:

What do the Poles, Checks, Swiss, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Filipino, Arab, Persian, South African...etc. do?
You can finsh the second half of the list.

- dmano - 03-19-2008

Wally wrote:
Quote:Dave that dive boat sounds great, where do you want to settle. Camans, Tahiti or any where its warm, I'm having more trouble getting into my dry suit.WinkWink
My family had a house in Eluethra in the Bahamas there is no real dive shop or dive boats to speak of. We have a couple of friends that still have homes there and they tell me a dive shop and dive boat are needed on the island. I'm game

- dmano - 03-19-2008

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Americans have always been taught to conform. Non-conformists in American high schools are called trouble-makers, or put on ADD drugs. If you cause trouble in a high school today you're in for a world of hurt.

The education system in this country is not about teaching kids to think, it's about teaching them to be corporate drones - all wear the same uniform of jeans and Polo shirts, all guided by mass media, and all think the same way. Honestly.

Now I see why I spent sooooo much time in my guidance counselors office in school.

WOW I AM A NON-CONFORMIST

luckily I was not put on the ADD drugs. I see why I did not go to college. I am most definitely not a corporate type. As most of you know I do not think the same as the masses.

Is that good or bad?

I don't really give a Sh#t

- catchacab - 03-19-2008

I believe that a perfect educational system does not and can not exist.  What is great for one student is not appropriate for another.  Each system (European, and American) has their merits.  Our system of education is  compromise, where with limited budgets, federal and state educational mandates, and issues at school that originate from the home environment.

In our country, education is the most underfunded part of the federal and state government.  Educating our youth is the single most effective way to reduce the need for public assistance, decrease crime, and improve the standard of living for all in our country.  For a long time I have felt that our country should require additional training be it college or trade school beyond the high school years.  For those who choose not to continue their education, then military service should be required.

Our country is going broke paying for our current and future senior citizens medical bills.  If you didn't take care of yourself, are over weight, smoke,  drink excessively, and have never exercised; then you don't deserve two hip replacements, care for five heart attacks, dialysis, and treatment of diabetes.  Let the old die, and use that money for those who will contribute to our country.

Our schools need more skilled teachers and greatly reduced class size, to give the students greater one on one interaction and more personalized lesson plans. 

College and trade schools should be fully funded so that family and student finances are of no concern in choosing a post secondary education or school.  

Parents (across all social strata)  need to become more involved with their children, their children's education, and their children's school.  It is time  for many to stop thinking about themselves, and hold their children as a higher priority.  Professionally, I spend my day with children.  Many children that are labeled and treated for  ADD and ADHD, truly do not suffer from that medical condition.  Many of them just need some interest, guidance, and discipline from their parents.  A great child psychologist that disagrees with most current dogma in child psychology (but he agrees with the pre-Spock child psychologists) is John Rosemond.  Read him.

- Porshagod - 03-19-2008

Financial Shakeups, The Supreme Court, Political Parties, Constitutional Rights, Toilet Habits? Anyone know where I can find a web forum where people discuss their interest in PORSCHE'S?[Image: surrender.gif]

- ccm911 - 03-20-2008

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:One of the neat things about the Philadelphia area are the many excellent Quaker schools. We've been happy with Germantown Friend
I have heard the same great things time and time again about Quaker Schools. When I worked at Wick's Ski shop some years ago, Mark and Nancy, the owners, sent their kids to a Quaker School. Then they decided that it was time to send the one son to Valley Forge Military Academy. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they went in and asked the Quakers to give a reference so the son could go to a MILITARY school! William Penn must have been rolling in his grave.Big GrinBig Grin