Riesentöter Forums
Zone 2 VIR 2009 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Zone 2 VIR 2009 (/showthread.php?tid=1523)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- George3 - 03-09-2009

scwaters wrote:
Quote:I-81 Thursday a.m. for me too.

If you'd like to travel together on Thursday, let me know.
So far there's two of us traveling.
PM sent.

Thanks,

George

- StoogeMoe203 - 03-10-2009

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:RTR Camp in the VIR Paddock will be in the same area as we have set up in the past couple of years. When you enter the Paddock make a left and you will see the false grid up on a hill at the end of the Paddock. There is also a rest room building to the left of the false grid. RTR camp will be in the area across from the entrance to the false grid.

I will be leaving about 9:00 am Thursday and going by way of Richmond if any one wants to caravan. I usually make it in 7 1/2 hours going this way and stop for lunch along the way.

Save me a spot if you will. I won't be getting there until Friday morning.

I'm going the I-81 route also. Do you guys go all the way down to Roanoake or cut over I-64 and go down through Lynchburg?

- Dan Yonker - 03-10-2009

I'm in Malvern, so I take 95 down through Richmond to 85S to 58W into South Boston where I stay.  Generally takes me between 6.5-7.5 hours.  DC traffic can be the only real issue.  Sometimes I take 360/15 south off the western side of the Richmond beltway.  Drive safely

- scwaters - 03-10-2009

I'm staying in Danville so I take 81 to Lexington and cut over.

- Brian Minkin - 03-10-2009

I take 95 down to Richmond and then 360 into 58. Have found this route works best for me since I am towing a brick. Smile

- vego - 03-12-2009

Have fun everyone!  Wish I were there!  :dude:

- bobt993 - 03-12-2009

And bring your rubber boots, maybe a snow shovel. :?

- Tony356993 - 03-12-2009

have fun guys and gals.

- Brian Minkin - 03-15-2009

VIR Zone 2 summary.

Its 5PM Sunday..what does that tell you?

Yes VIR was a washout.  Cold and rainy all 3 days.

We did get a trail run at the extended passing rules in Red and Black run groups.  Drivers had to attend a classroom session during which the rules of extended passing where reviewed and a special wrist band was issued that allowed you into extended passing sessions.  The 1st session of each group had an exercise in traffic awareness as all the drivers had to do 2 laps at reduced speeds with another car next to you for the entire course. Drivers switched sides after the 1st lap. This was a bit of a challenge as it was done in heavy rain but fun none the less. After that extended passing was allowed meaning you could pass anywhere on the course with a passing signal from the car being passed.  With the rain and reduced speeds it was very easy to pass or give a pass just before a corner and I did not find it very different from getting a late pass.

On a less pleasant note turn 6A took out 7 cars.  6 on day one and 1 on day 2.  There is new surface (milled and sealed to remove bumps)  on many of the turns that is very grippy even in the rain.  However the original surface once the patch ended did not have as much grip.  Turns 4 & 5 has the coating but 6 and 6A did not and it seemed that application of throttle resulted in snap throttle steer and loss of control. My student got lose there a couple of times but PASM seemed to save it. Others where not so lucky. I believe if we had dry conditions none of this would have happened.

Still a great track and I look forward to being back there the end of June in "Dry" conditions. 

- bobt993 - 03-15-2009

Sorry to hear about the weather Brian.  I gave up on this event two years ago and now attend the NASA race/DE at the end of the month.  Too much of a crap shoot middle March at VIR.  Drive safely home everyone.