Riesentöter Forums
Where are the mandatory rules posted for using jack stands, etc.? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Where are the mandatory rules posted for using jack stands, etc.? (/showthread.php?tid=3019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- CarreraS - 05-04-2012

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Felker! Take that crap out, too much weight. Use a standard floor jack and jack stands.........even though pressing a hose on a chuck is pretty convenient when changing brakes and wheels.
Nick, all the real weight is in the driver's fat ass. That will be a separate project.Tongue

- MikeKling - 05-07-2012

Nick,

Dave's air jacks allow us to crack four walnuts at one time.  They are very necessary. Oops, sorry, was I supposed to let this thread die?

- Ben951 - 05-07-2012

Just finished swapping the head... burned a hole through the exhaust valve of #1... what about this thread dieing?

- betegh9 - 05-07-2012

OUCH! Sorry to hear that Ben. How did this happen?

- LouZ - 05-08-2012

Ben951 wrote:
Quote:Just finished swapping the head... burned a hole through the exhaust valve of #1... what about this thread dieing?
Ahhhh....but was the car on jackstands?

- Ben951 - 05-08-2012

Ben951 wrote:
Quote:Just finished swapping the head... burned a hole through the exhaust valve of #1... what about this thread dieing?

Previous owner abused the hell out of it. On a technical level, I am told that if carbon builds up in a spot, it creates a hot spot, and eventually will burn through the valve (looks like that happened).

Thought I 'saved' the car in time from the PO, but that's okay. Used up the rest of my DE budget though, so I might just do the new 'taste of the track' 1 session thing at NJMP for the rest of the year.

And YES! It was on jackstands. Learned a new place to place stands (frame rails towards the front of the vehicle)!

- betegh9 - 05-08-2012

Ben, don't be down and out..........Join the AX group (see the threads on the forun) and have fun for the cheap.

- Ben951 - 05-08-2012

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Ben, don't be down and out..........Join the AX group (see the threads on the forun) and have fun for the cheap.

Rgr that... just tossed my first rebuilt control arm there... I have 'low mile' factory arms, but I still worry, as the second set of rebuilt arms failed from daily driving...

You may just see me though, what the heck...!

Oh, and I just changed a wheel and tire out, and I DIDN'T use a jackstand (I feel bad). Wife and another car collided (no injuries) and broke the wheel.

However, when swapping out the head, the PCA member helping me went to go check the exhaust after our initial test drive, and I insisted he use a jackstand (the jack we were using looked older than I was). Even though he resisted, I asked where the second jack was when this one failed and the car was crushing the life out of him... he threw the jack under. =)