Riesentöter Forums
Schattenbaum NJMP April 9-10 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Schattenbaum NJMP April 9-10 (/showthread.php?tid=1471)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- Brian Minkin - 04-12-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:I disagree. It was clearly the second passing car's fault. The damage on the Boxster was behind the door so the passing car should have given up the pass and been aware enough to avoid contact -- whether he got a signal or not!

I am not passing blame on the Boxster driver. I just think if you are driving in the Red group that you need to be scanning your mirrors and know the position of all the cars behind you. I have been in this situation numerious times where I did not give the second and sometimes the third car a signal and they took a late pass. We had a former chief instrutor in RTR who I would have had contact with more then once if I was not very aware of faster cars comming up on me and disapearing from my rear view mirror. Agressive driving like the cup car exhibited is not appropriate in DE but there will be drivers like him in the fast groups so you need to be aware of what is going on around you.

- Darren - 04-12-2009

Sure, I agree with that, they both could have prevented this.

- Sparticus913 - 04-12-2009

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Darren wrote:
Quote:I disagree. It was clearly the second passing car's fault. The damage on the Boxster was behind the door so the passing car should have given up the pass and been aware enough to avoid contact -- whether he got a signal or not!

I am not passing blame on the Boxster driver. I just think if you are driving in the Red group that you need to be scanning your mirrors and know the position of all the cars behind you. I have been in this situation numerious times where I did not give the second and sometimes the third car a signal and they took a late pass. We had a former chief instrutor in RTR who I would have had contact with more then once if I was not very aware of faster cars comming up on me and disapearing from my rear view mirror. Agressive driving like the cup car exhibited is not appropriate in DE but there will be drivers like him in the fast groups so you need to be aware of what is going on around you.

I am new to this forum and new to PCA DE's. However, I have DE experience with other organizations and have to agree with Brian. I witnessed a fair amount of aggressive driving in the white group and I was guilty at times. However, if a driver is promoted to a solo group they should have the skills to be aware of their surroundings and the cars behind and in front of them as well as on side of them. I noticed too many drivers in the white group who did not consistently demonstrate track etiquette, car awareness and point by rules. There was a certain driver who would give a point by, proceed to drift in the direction he pointed and then drag race the car he gave the point by to. Unbelievable! But as I stated, I am new to PCA DE's so I am learning as well.

PS
Brian, you rock man! I watched several of your sessions and you've given me inspiration and made me realize that a well driven 993 can hang with the big boys. Great driving!

- Mark Fox - 04-13-2009

I would agree with the line through T-4.  In watching video of you (and I am on the same line) coming out of T-5 past the curbijg on the right, I am wondering if we stay out longer (vs slightly fighting the car back to the right) if it won't give a straighter approach to T-6??? 

So did you and Terry not get any times?

- Terry - 04-13-2009

I ran a bunch of 1:15.0s but then corded 3 tires and couldn't figure why I was driving harder but going slower. I think I could have shaved off another .5 seconds that day but I am not complaining at all.

- Darren - 04-13-2009

Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:I would agree with the line through T-4. In watching video of you (and I am on the same line) coming out of T-5 past the curbijg on the right, I am wondering if we stay out longer (vs slightly fighting the car back to the right) if it won't give a straighter approach to T-6???

So did you and Terry not get any times?
That might be true if I'm understanding where you mean. I think you're saying after the blind apex to stay left a little longer and do a straight line to the braking zone for the next left hander.

I'll have to try that line next time and see....

I didn't know lap times until I reviewed the video. Mostly low 1:16's at Lightning, with PSS9 and MPSC tires.

- Brian Minkin - 04-13-2009

For lightning on friday my best lap was 1:16:7 but mostly  1:17:2 to 1:17:5.  1:15:0 is really cooking Terry. 

- Mark Fox - 04-14-2009

Darren,

Yes I am refering to to the exit past the curbing on the right following T-5.  Staying out later will probably give you better approach into T-6.  Tremper and the wing men were doing this. 

Also Hoyt was driving well into the light bulb before initiating turn in.  I never did get the braking right upon entry.  I had one run in the 17's handful in the 18's.  Cleaning up the entry into the light bulb and the extra speed down the front straight is probalbly worth 2 sec.

- Terry - 04-14-2009

Mark, you weren't poking along at all on exiting the Lightbulb and I think it is unlikely you will get 2 seconds without rocket packs. I agree with a high and late entry but I think pretty much everyone was doing this by the end of the day. My problem (here weep crocodile tears) was that I couldn't get on full power coming out of the Lightbulb until the car was getting straight - otherwise I would push out to track edge and beyond. But I think that is the way the track is designed.

- Darren - 04-15-2009

Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:Darren,

Yes I am refering to to the exit past the curbing on the right following T-5. Staying out later will probably give you better approach into T-6. Tremper and the wing men were doing this.

Also Hoyt was driving well into the light bulb before initiating turn in. I never did get the braking right upon entry. I had one run in the 17's handful in the 18's. Cleaning up the entry into the light bulb and the extra speed down the front straight is probalbly worth 2 sec.

I don't know -- that's Tremper a couple of cars in front of me and I don't see him gaining ground on me there. They do beat me through 2-4 though, any right-left transition I get killed with the PSS9 vs real suspensions.

The lightbulb isn't that difficult -- there are really 3 components -- entry point, entry speed, and the point where you go full throttle. The difference between a bad and good line is probably 10 car lengths by T1, less than a second I think. Basically it's 10 extra mph faster everywhere from the entry-point of the lightbulb all the way to the end of the front straight. Suprisingly I was going a little faster there (142 mph) than I was on the front straight at Thunderbolt.

I hit the 'bulb perfectly one time and pushed all the way out and about 2" over the track-out curbing -- Pechstein was behind me -- it was a little too aggressive for DE though Smile I had to back it down.

I really want to do a track walk there -- I want to see how soft or bumpy the dirt is at the track-out point from the 'bulb. It's also really suprising that T6 (left hander) you can see a huge hill from the paddock that you just plain can't see driving the track.