Riesentöter Forums
Pocono big road course - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Pocono big road course (/showthread.php?tid=1007)

- AMoore - 05-08-2008

I noticed on their Website that Pocono also runs the North infield with the South and East oval sections.  I think it is 2.5 miles with lots of long straights.  I imagine it would be too expensive to rent but it sure would be fun.  Has anyone run this course?

- catchacab - 05-08-2008

I ran it about 6 years ago.  It is longer, but the bottom line is...

It is still Pocono and Pocono sxxks.

- Brian Minkin - 05-08-2008

I ran it 5 years ago with SCCA. It is usually called the IMSA course.  Leaving the pit as we always do for the North Course you turn into the North Course.  The North Course is faster in this direction as the turns are increasing radius.  When you exit the North Course you make a right onto the bowl at Nascar turn 2 (the tunnel turn).  This is a freaky turn as the wall is very close so you sort of throw it away.  After the apex for turn 2 you can put the peddle down and fly down the back straight.  You then make a right into a chicane which is triangular shaped and uses the connection to the main oval of the East Course and the South Course.  Not a flowing chicane like the Glen but a very sharp turn at the point of the triangle.  Then its back out onto the bowl in Nascar turn 1 (the South Course) and into the main straight in front of the grandstands. This part is very fast.   Then its a sweeping right back into the North Course.  Its fun to do it once but I do not have any compulsive draw to do it again.

- Sechsgang - 05-09-2008

Personally, I LOVE the reverse IMSA course (same as what Brian said but running the infield the way we (rtr) generally do). I hit well over 180 on that back straight and that IS fun...just for the raw speed factor of it.

- AMoore - 05-09-2008

How stable is your car at 180 mph?

- Brian Minkin - 05-09-2008

I got to around 140MPH in the front straight and the car was stable. Did not have data then so it was simply a quick glance at the speedo which read over160 but I know it had a large error as 100 was really 92. With walls on both sides its like going down a tunnel at that speed. You realy learn to look ahead so you can slow down and make the turn in to the North Course.  The cones put up as a breaking zone flash by at that kind of speed.

- Sechsgang - 05-10-2008

my car was unbelievably stable actually...I would say I was around 170 mph GPS style...Ill tell you what I hit this time though as Im running with a ferrari group that is using that reverse IMSA course on memorial day.

- dmano - 05-27-2008

SVRA used to run the IMSA course counter clockwise and I have been clocked at 218 MPH in a 1969 IMSA Corvette, I would run that coarse anytime that direction it just flows much better than clockwise. Barry and I used to run that course on our motorcycles back in the 80's with WERA also counter clockwise and I loved it then also.