Riesentöter Forums
Anybody:Tune up help for $$$ - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Air-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Anybody:Tune up help for $$$ (/showthread.php?tid=1009)

Pages: 1 2

- Flyboy - 02-09-2008

Hi,

This is my first post as I just found this site. I have been a PCA for member for over 15 years out of the NNJ Region where I used to live. I now reside in the Lehigh Valley and as far as PCA Regions/Chapters are concerned we in the LV are located between PCA regions. For me, this makes it difficult to participate in many meetings and/or events as I wish I could.

I am asking if there is an experienced technical oriented Porsche afficionado that is willing to assist me with some routine maintenance on my 1970 911S/1986 911 Carrera (where I can actually see the process performed and once and for all feel confident doing it myself in the future) at my location in the Lehigh Valley. I have all the parts, jacks, ramps, many tools to perform the maintenance I want to do before spring. I need somebody who can easily do a complete tune up (maybe adjust valves too), adjust front wheel bearings and other minor maintenance. I will certainly compensate you for your time and efforts. As part of the compensation plan, here is a bonus item you will receive if desired, for your knowledge, time and efforts:

I have one Porsche 7.5J X 18" Turbo Look Wheel. Here are the specs and stamping on back of wheel:

Part Number 993.362.134.06
ET 50
Weight 11.3kg
Porsche Option M413

It came off of a 2001 Boxter but from what I understand will fit the front of any 986 Boxter or 996 Carrera. The wheel is in excellent shape except for one scratched area shown in the pictures. The area is deep enough to catch your fingernail as you scrape it across but can easily be polished out to perfection.  Thanks.

- michael lang - 02-09-2008

Flyboy, welcome to the group. You'll find we are a pretty laid back bunch of guys just having fun. I'm not going to be able to help you although what you are asking for is pretty basic stuff and you really shouldn't need anyone to come over. I find it hard to believe you have been a PCA member for 15 years and don't own a Bentley manual but own the tools.

There is a supertech meeting in 2 weeks at Dougherty's, maybe you should go there to learn what you want to do.

Another place to use as a reference would be Rennlist or Pelican Parts forums. I am sure these websites can be of great help to you. Most of us go there as well. Again welcome to the group!!

- Flyboy - 02-10-2008

Thanks for the welcome Michael. I am quite familiar with Rennlist and Pelican forums as I have purchased parts from Pelican and posted on Pelican through the years.

I do not have the Bentley manual but I do have a Haynes Manual and all volumes of the Porsche Factory Manuals (in the maroon three ring binder). I have done much work to all my cars both normally aspirated and boosted over the years including the Porsches. Having never adjusted the valves in the 911, I am just a bit hesitant and would like someone who can do it in their sleep assist me because I know the tolerances are critical and if the gap is too tight, damage will occur and it defeats the purpose. The three areas of help I was looking for in my initial post was valve adjustment, wheel bearing adjustment and rear ride height adjustment. If anybody is experinced in those areas and can help me do those three things, please let me know. Thanks.

- cjbcpa - 02-10-2008

Flyboy.

I would love to participate, although primarily as an observer. I am new to the Porsche world and while I have done a few modest repairs, I could benefit from "apprenticing". I have never adjusted valves either.

Perhaps there is enough interest, this is something that could be coordinated through the club? Sort of monthly or quarterly garage session.

CB

- michael lang - 02-10-2008

Ah, now I understand. Haven't done the valve adjustment as I haven't needed it yet but I know it is coming. As far as the wheel bearing adjustment is concerned, easy as taking the wheels off the car. The rear ride height is not that hard either. There are 2 bolts on either side spring plate that do the adjusting. You'll need a ride height wrench as the clearance inside the spring plate is very narrow and you'll need an angle finder. I'm sure you know once you play with the ride height it will be alignment time. You might want to take advantage of the supertech at Dougherty's, Mike Levitas is a pretty smart guy when it comes to Porsche car set-up. Not only does he run a first rate shop just outside of Baltimore but he is a very competent racecar driver. Alot to be learned from that guy! I was planning on coming up that way at the end of the month to go myself,  but if things here in D.C. continue the way they are going I probably will not make it up there for another month maybe even month and a half. Best of luck to you.

- Larry Herman - 02-10-2008

Mike, I wouldn't mess with those bolts.  They are not ride height adjustments, they are alignment bolts.  They make adjustable spring plates that are split, and have a screw in the bottom that allows for easy ride height changes, but they are a PITA to install.

As far as routine maintenance, we have talked about having a few seminars over the season, at the exec meeting just last week.  Maybe if someone has their car setup on a lift for a valve adjustment, we could run a class on it.

Larry Herman - RTR Technical Chair.

- Brian Minkin - 02-10-2008

I don't think the spring plates on the 1970 S are adjustable.  The 1986 however is adjustable with the factory plates. You can adjust the ride height on the 1986 without aftermarket adjustable spring plates but of course they make it much eaiser.  The eccentric bolts on the spring plates have a total adjustable range of around 3/4 inch. They are great for fine tuning, but to make any serious ride HEIGHT change you must re-index the t-bars (thats the fun part).  Turning the eccentric bolts on factory adjustable spring plates requires a special wrench. It is a regular hex head, but it is thinner than a standard wrench. The wrench must fit between the spring plate and the inner wheel well, a standard wrench is just too thick and won't fit. The wrench is available from most major Porsche parts supliers.

- Flyboy - 02-10-2008

michael lang wrote:
Quote:Ah, now I understand. Haven't done the valve adjustment as I haven't needed it yet but I know it is coming. As far as the wheel bearing adjustment is concerned, easy as taking the wheels off the car. The rear ride height is not that hard either. There are 2 bolts on either side spring plate that do the adjusting. You'll need a ride height wrench as the clearance inside the spring plate is very narrow and you'll need an angle finder. I'm sure you know once you play with the ride height it will be alignment time. You might want to take advantage of the supertech at Dougherty's, Mike Levitas is a pretty smart guy when it comes to Porsche car set-up. Not only does he run a first rate shop just outside of Baltimore but he is a very competent racecar driver. Alot to be learned from that guy! I was planning on coming up that way at the end of the month to go myself, but if things here in D.C. continue the way they are going I probably will not make it up there for another month maybe even month and a half. Best of luck to you.

Wow, I wish that were the case but I have researched the REAR ride height procedure and it is not a simple procedure to do correctly and does take special tools and time. The FRONT ride height is easy.

- Flyboy - 02-11-2008

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Mike, I wouldn't mess with those bolts. They are not ride height adjustments, they are alignment bolts. They make adjustable spring plates that are split, and have a screw in the bottom that allows for easy ride height changes, but they are a PITA to install.

As far as routine maintenance, we have talked about having a few seminars over the season, at the exec meeting just last week. Maybe if someone has their car setup on a lift for a valve adjustment, we could run a class on it.

Larry Herman - RTR Technical Chair.
Larry,

If that is an offer I would be willing. How do I sign up as a "donor car?" Thanks.

- ccm911 - 02-11-2008

On my 1984 Targa, those bolts do control ride height, but odds are that they are already at the lowest setting.  And the difference is minimal.  I agree with Larry.  Leave them alone.

As for the valve adjustment.  Once you do it, it is simple.  A clinic would get you going in no time.  If nothing comes of the Clinic Idea, just hit me up, and you can stop by and watch for free.  Although a case of Yeungling would make for a nice after-duty treat.