Riesentöter Forums
NYS "Driver Responsibility Assessment" - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: NYS "Driver Responsibility Assessment" (/showthread.php?tid=1016)

Pages: 1 2

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-01-2008

Good news is that when another state reports speeding tickets to PA, PA ignores them. That doesn't apply to really serious offenses, but PA does not add to my driving record speeding outside of PA. Nice.

Bad news is that NY counts NY points for me even though I have a PA license. Now that I got to 6 points [paid the fines for the tickets to the NY courts] I got an assessment from NY DMV for $300. The letter says that my NYS driver license [none] and/or privilege of obtaining a NYS driver license will be suspended if I fail to pay the assessment. Not needing a NY license any time soon, I'm inclined to ignore the assessment. Unlike the civil assessments VA instituted that apply only to VA residents, NY is trying to get money from non-residents! I looked for any cases on this provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law and there are none, except for a half-hearted attempt a NY resident made to claim the assessment was illegal because he did not have notice of it. Nothing on NY's jurisdiction over non-residents.

What would YOU do?

- michael lang - 02-01-2008

Chris, do you know if NY DMV can submit you to collections? If they can or they will then I'd pay it and move on.

No idea. They could report to a credit agency, but for $300 hard to believe they could take much collection action.

- Brian Minkin - 02-01-2008

Chris,

There are commercial collection agencies that take all the bad paper from municipal goverments and attempt to collect it for a 30 to 50% take depending on the contract. They will report to credit bureau.  Terry used to work for one so we know this first hand.  I would pay it.

- catchacab - 02-01-2008

Chris,

I would pay it.  I don't agree with the assessment, but to fight it, would cost you more money than you will save.  Unless, you can say Class Action!  Additionally, with your addiction to WG, if you were pulled over again, who knows what kind of action they would take (impound car, confiscate drivers licence, etc.).

FYI, the collection agency that I use accepts any debt larger than $5.

I wish you guys would stop giving me good advice and tell me what I want to hear instead.

The only penalty noted is to deny me the privilege of getting a NY license. Having had one many years ago I see no reason to seek one again.

But I guess I should pay. I will be at the Glen this year again, although I'll be at Summit Point more. Bummer.

- Tony356993 - 02-01-2008

I'd pay it - it's the cost of about 1 tire - fork it over baby. Big Grin

- ccm911 - 02-01-2008

But what is the downside of not paying?  I still have a Verizon out there for $300, which I refuse to pay on principle, and it had no effect on my refinancing whatsoever. I say hold out!

- Brian Minkin - 02-01-2008

Chris,

You are correct that it would not effect a mortgage credit decision but it will show on your credit report and would effect consumer credit and also the rates you could obtain for loans or lines of credit.

- ccm911 - 02-01-2008

So Brian, are you telling me that I will have to give in at one point?

Bummer.