Riesentöter Forums
Australia - Next Weekend - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Australia - Next Weekend (/showthread.php?tid=1033)

Pages: 1 2

- ccm911 - 03-06-2008

With a shrewdly negotiated deal with Comcast, I finally have back my beloved SPEED TV.  Seems kind of a shame that I had to pay extra for like only a few viewable shows.  If only SPEED would drop all NASCAR and those stupid "Reality Shows"(Pinks, Unique Whips, etc.) life would be great.  But I digress.

So who will reign supreme?  I know I am rarely wrong.  I called Kimi right from the start.  I know talent when I see it.  Alonso and Hamilton are merely novelties who really need to step aside to let the big dogs(read FINNISH) run.

Who in Gods name are "Force India"?  Is this a team sponsored by a syndicate of 7-11 owners?  Will they make Super Aguri and Red Bull(and Toro Rosso) look like viable competitiors?  Will this season be reminiscent of a WWF Smackdown as Ferarri steamrolls all comers? Will Trulli. Barrichello and Coulthard be wearing Depends in deference to their advanced age?

Let the games begin!

- JAB993 - 03-06-2008

Kimi could be the man this year although I am certain he will get a run for his money. In this months Motor Sport, one of the few motor magazines worth reading, there is an article by Nigel Roebuck reviewing the upcoming season. Recognising that F1 was becoming boring and your question is Kimi for 2008 he wrote...
 Fortunately the FIA has at last cottoned on to the fact that motor racing is not chess, that excitement is required, that overtaking-while it should never be easy-is an essential of the sport. And when you have a situation in which an Alonso or  Raikkonen can struggle even to lap a backmarker, imaging the difficulty involved in passing someone in a comparable car.
Think of what Kimi said after last year's Turkish GP, in which he finished second to Felipe Massa, the Ferraris unopposed throughout. On the penultimate lap he suddenly cranked out the fastest lap- more than half a second inside anyone else's best-and we wondered why. "Well" Kimi said, "the race was decided yesterday, really, in qualifying. It's so boring these days, driving behind other cars all the time - there is no passing, with the aerodynamics the way they are. I did a lap at the end because I just wanted to see what the car would do..."
If a man can get bored driving an 800-horsepower GP car.....

.....and so the article goes on. By eliminating some of the driver aids maybe Kimi will not be bored this year and secure that second world championship.

- ccm911 - 03-06-2008

Awesome Input!  It is clear that you are truly a student of F1.

But don't you think that at the level of F1 that it is, indeed, Chess?  I mean, half the fun is running scenarios as the race is going to see the strategy employed with fuel, tyres, etc.

I don't know.  Look at NASCAR.  A lot of passing, but at what cost?  They bunch the cars back up if there is a hot dog wrapper on the track! 

So, like anything else, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

- dmano - 03-06-2008

There should be absolutely no drivers aids on any race car period. Then you have to wonder how good of a driver they actually are. Without the aids I bet there would be a lot of other different names at the top. It all comes down to the $$$$ who has the most to put into the car. We need to go back to manual adjustments. Good old boost knobs, sway bar leavers, wing adjuster. Then racing would be fun to watch again like the 60's and 70's. Good old IMSA days.  

- ccm911 - 03-06-2008

And don't forget the TRANS-AM series, as well as when NASCAR ran at tracks like Riverside. Back then Men were Men, and sheep were scared. Big Grin

- dmano - 03-06-2008

My sheep are still scared.Cool

- catchacab - 03-06-2008

Nascar and some of the other series need to go back to the showroom.  Pull, a car off of the floor, gut the interior, put in a cage, race seat, and other saftey gear, and race a car on Sunday, then the manufacturers can sell on Monday!

- dmano - 03-06-2008

That would be nice but the problem with that is most all cars now are FWD. I would love to see a big BMW or Benz gutted and on the high banks with a good old boy driving. That would be funny.  At least Toyota is trying.

- ccm911 - 03-06-2008

Actually, guys, .....what is stopping Ford, Chrysler and GM from doing just what has just been mentioned?

All these retro-cars.  Let's strip em down and see, who does indeed, sell on Monday.

- ccm911 - 03-14-2008

Midnight this Saturday.  Who is staying up to watch?