Riesentöter Forums
Pocono North with NNJR - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Pocono North with NNJR (/showthread.php?tid=1051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- ninjabones - 04-06-2008

Had a blast at Pocono yesterday with NNJR despite the weather.  A few RTR guys were present (Drew, Dan and of course George).  Track was pretty wet in the AM, but dried up nicely by the afternoon. 

The green group was booked, so they had me run with Yellow.  Turned out to be a good thing as there were more than 10 first-time drivers in green, and I heard that the traffic was very painful.  Can't say that the ettiquette in the Yellow group was great.  I think the ego factor was a bit more apparent and getting a point-by was very hard (especially from some of the high-horsepower cars). 

Anyway, I got to start out in front on my last session and here's the video of my first three laps.  I changed the dampening settings a bit for the first time ever on this run, and the car rotated really well (at least compared to what I am used to).  I was averaging about 2:08 without traffic, but sometimes 2:15 when caught up in a train.  Constructive criticism always welcomed (this was my 8th track day; 4th event; second time at Pocono).  And again, I don't time my laps in the car... got the times from my video (so they may not be that accurate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrk2Ohj9DcU

- larrybard - 04-06-2008

Glenn,

Well, I'm impressed (though, admittedly, consider the source) -- as, more importantly, was the instructor, with his clapping and remarks about the "beautiful job."

Was wondering, was it the angle or were you really as close to the wall as you looked on the long bowl?  No fear of marbles?

Regards,

Larry

- bobt993 - 04-06-2008

T1 looks fine.  I would like to hear a little stronger throttle to the apex.  T2 is a little late, you hit the apex, but your turning in too late using a little too much wheel, track out using the whole track.  T3 a little late also, use more track.  T4a-4b, if you get just right, you will use one wheel movement all the way to the dot for turn in back to the left.  Big Grin

- Sechsgang - 04-06-2008

Ya...lets just say the black group felt like when I was in the blue group in our region. I lapped at least 80 percent of the cars before pulling in from boredom...the traffic was ridiculous...I got 2 laps every time as I made sure I went out first...only able to manage a 59.6 while I had one free lap, but couldn't put together more than a couple corners on my own. That said, It was fun to run with other people...but I prefer our drivers for SURE.

- catchacab - 04-06-2008

How excessive and ridiculous were the work assignments?

- Sechsgang - 04-06-2008

um...very...I loved sitting at the gate for 4 hours...and the guy who was teching me initially failed the car for not having valve stem caps...uhh...its a racecar that gets hot pressures taken as SOON as Im off the track..are you kidding???

- catchacab - 04-06-2008

There is a story from years ago, NNJR was at Pocono, the NNJR person at the gate wouldn't let a person in who was not registered for the event.  He told person he owned the racetrack.  The NNJR person radios into control, saying that some guy that is acting like he owns the plance and wants to enter, but is not on the attendance list.  Control radios back that he does own the track and please let him in.

I was assigned  with 10 other students to the tower on the last day of a NNJR event at the Glen.  I cooked my brake fluid the second session of that morning.   I asked the steward of the tower if I may take some time to bleed my brakes, he said that is what my run session is for.   I packed up my car, and left.  I will never attend another NNJR event again.  It is a shame because they have a number of very nice members, but their leadership forgets that PCA is a volunteer organization, not a Siberian Work Camp.

- Sechsgang - 04-06-2008

ya, I cant say that was the most fun event I have ever been to...

- George3 - 04-06-2008

My work assignment was staging at pit-out on Saturday morning.  I froze my koulyans off... the biting wind and near freezing temps made it a real PITA.

Otherwise, I got a lot of good runs in with the Blue-White run group.  I was second fastest in my group.  It was loads of fun and I ran Pocono North the best I ever did. 

Nice seeing you Glenn, Drew & Dan.

- Sechsgang - 04-06-2008

Was great seeing you too George (as well as Glenn and Dan)