Riesentöter Forums
Summit Point Club Race - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Summit Point Club Race (/showthread.php?tid=106)

Pages: 1 2

- bobt993 - 09-30-2006

Just picked up my serviced transmission from Jeff, who I owe big time for such a quick turn around.  I took a quick head count and I know of at least a dozen RTR's going/participating in the event.  Who's in? Camping at the track?  Social at the track?   Let's get a game plan together.  Smile

- TwentySix - 10-02-2006

Good luck to those who are headed for Summit, as well as Larry going to Daytona... what's up down there, anyway?  Must be fun for such a long tow   Cool

- bobt993 - 10-02-2006

Elizabeth, 

PCA club racing follows a different format.  Racing is wheel to wheel and there is recognition for placing "podium" , but the rules do not allow contact.  Contact between cars is penalized with a 13month probation and another incident means 13months of non-racing.  The purpose is to allow competitive events within classes, but limit the act of "punting" or blocking by minimizing the gain of actually winning to little more than bragging rights. 

As far a 993 Cup VS a 993 stock car.  Big differences to had in performance and upkeep.  I run a class D stock 993 with only suspension improvements.  Cup cars require alot more upkeep and certainly offer a multitude of improvements in power, gearing, weight reduction, suspension, brakes, etc. 

I would suggest your husband attend a club race to see how it is run and decide what direction he wants to go as far as a car.  Best advice is to buy someone elses efforts with a campaigned log book.  The investment for even a stock car to be class ready is alot of money and you never see it back. 

- TwentySix - 10-02-2006

13/13... that's all good, hate going home with a busted up car   :? 

As far a 993 Cup VS a 993 stock car

I mean difference in the tub...stripped down of everything--bodywork, drive train, suspension.  Lighter?  Reinforced?

attend a club race to see how it is run

We've been to a couple... though it's a few years ago now.  Seemed pretty laid back, is that still the case?  I've looked at a lot of results sheets... hard to tell who is driving the wheels off a bad car or cruising in a fast one.  I've been lurking on Rennlist, but there are so many opinions it's hard to know what's true :?

Best advice is to buy someone elses efforts with a campaigned log book.  The investment for even a stock car to be class ready is alot of money and you never see it back. 

BTDT  Sad  You never get back what you put in... at least you know what you've got. 

- Tony356993 - 10-03-2006

Bob,

When is the race? I might have to come cheer on my RTR friends. Who else is registered from RTR?

- bobt993 - 10-03-2006

993 Cup is 600 lbs lighter than a stock 993, yes stripped and then some.   Engine is a 3.8 VS 3.6 with better torque.   Full cage adds enormous rigidity.   Stock to Cup is is possible in theory, but turning a stock 993 into a Cup Car is a big endeavor.  Check with any longtime racers and you will be more convinced of finding an existing well developed car "sorted".  

Events are laid back in the spirit of fun.  As far as competitive, look at the Glen event results run in June.  1st Place in upper class ran a 1:52 as his fastest lap.  On the long course, this is up there with ALMS drivers and Rolex series (ironically this event attracts such drivers as Wolf Henzler ran club racing last year at Sebring).  

I am not sure if any of this helps, but attending an event and seeking out some of the GTC drivers may answer more questions for you. 

- Larry Herman - 10-03-2006

elizabeth26 wrote:
Quote:Good luck to those who are headed for Summit, as well as Larry going to Daytona... what's up down there, anyway? Must be fun for such a long tow Cool
Thanks, Elizabeth. Actually Dave Shenk and I are having Dougherty trailer our cars, and we are flying down there. It is a big event as there are over 260 racers. Plus it's just one of those tracks that you have to do. So much history there, like Sebring and the Glen.

My wife is coming too, and by 5 pm Thursday, I'll be at the track, and she'll be on the beach. But she'll be there on Saturday so I'll have a cheering section for the sprint race. Big Grin

- bobt993 - 10-03-2006

Tony, sat,sun this week.  Fun starts with practice on Friday.  RTR list of people to expect down there:  Ed K,  David E, John Geno, John Gia,  Bob Di, Mike P,  John Ran, Mitch R,  Myles D, I am missing a couple.  I think at least dozen of us.   

- Tony356993 - 10-03-2006

Larry,

You da man! Best of luck at Daytona. Will you post some vid when you get back? I'd love to see lap after lap of Daytona from inside the car.

Bob,

If I can get a substitute drug seller to cover the shop on Sunday, I'll come down for the day. Do I need an RTR foam finger? Is there a schedule of who's running when on the web of if they sent one to you could you email it to me? tony356@comcast.net

- smankow - 10-03-2006

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Larry,

You da man! Best of luck at Daytona. Will you post some vid when you get back? I'd love to see lap after lap of Daytona from inside the car.

Bob,

If I can get a substitute drug seller to cover the shop on Sunday, I'll come down for the day. Do I need an RTR foam finger? Is there a schedule of who's running when on the web of if they sent one to you could you email it to me? tony356@comcast.net

Larry, just like Tony said - best of luck and we're all looking forward to your vids

Bob, has a schedule come out yet? I may try to head down on Sat. Either way, wish all of the RTR group the best of luck.