Riesentöter Forums
VIR Zone 2 Club Race Volunteers Needed - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: VIR Zone 2 Club Race Volunteers Needed (/showthread.php?tid=1067)

- Brian Minkin - 03-03-2008

At the Zone 2 Presidents Meeting the plans for the upcoming VIR Zone 2 Club Race where reviewed and there was one position on the Race Comittee that was vacated.  RTR was not involved with the race at all and since this position open up I took it.  The Position is Grid and Pit coordinator. I took the position because I believe it is important for RTR to be part of this Zone 2 event. 

The race is August 08, 09, 10.  I would love to have crew off RTR people work with me and staff the entire Pit and Grid operation.

Each worker has been budgeted $250 to help defray worker expenses. Obviously it is in Zone 2's best interest to recruit couples so we can get two for one value for our $250. Each worker in a couple will of course get a shirt and banquet ticket, but we can save $250 if we get couples. 

The position and its responsiblities are stated below. The black print is from the club Racing Manual and the blue below are additional thoughts from Tom Bobbitt who is the race chair.

Pit and Grid Coordinator Recruits 6+ member team (nominally 4 people for False Grid,

and several people for Hot Pits control).

3.5 Pit and Grid

PCA Club Racing uses standard, accepted race gridding and control of hot pits procedures at all races.

this means that the organizing Region will need a team of 4 - 6 people for false grid, and 4 people for hot

pits control.

The false grid will need one person to be at the head of the grid, with a radio, so that they can be directed to

give information to the racers on the grid. It is desirable that a means of signaling 5 minutes, 1 minute,

start up, etc. be available. Generally a whistle is adequate, with hand signals and the other members of

the false grid team relaying down the line. At the 5 minute mark the other false grid people should begin

checking the cars near their position for proper fastening of safety equipment, etc. False grid people must be

familiar with Club Racing Rules which govern this equipment. (See Rule Book - Appendix D)

It is the responsibility of the region grid people to carefully check helmet stickers (SA00), tech stickers, run

group stickers, safety equipment, etc. and to report to the National Scrutineer any car/racer that is not in

compliance.

The hot pits will need to be carefully controlled, with at least one experienced person working pit out and

another signaling for cars entering the hot pit lane. Also, the hot pit personnel will ensure that only essential

people are allowed onto the hot pits (no minors), and that these individuals are appropriately dressed, not

smoking, and monitored. No one under 16 years of age is allowed in the hot pit area. Long pants, shirts,

and closed shoes are required for anyone in the hot pit area.

At VIR we will be staging up to 70 cars in a race group on the false grid. We will be using the covered grid up the hill at the west end of the North paddock, just like we did a few years ago.  Not sure if you were there for the previous club race.  Great place but with that many cars, and getting them all placed in proper time sequence takes time. having  many trained workers can really improve the process, I think the PCA recommendations are a little light, I thing 6 workers, plus one at the front with a radio and one at the rear to close the grid (and tell racers as they arrive what spot they are in) will improve the operation. 

If we have three run groups plus DE then that is really non-stop work for the team

In the hot pits  we will need someone at entrance to manage traffic, and someone at mid-pit to direct traffic (and open and close the hot pit entrance at appropriate times.  VIR personnel will be at pit exit releasing cars and routing into paddock.

The challenge of course is that per the guidelines, these workers have a full day-little downtime-and they need to be trained in the basic safety stuff to observe, and know how to back cars into spaces, etc.   

Let me know if you have any interest in working with me one this.

Thanks

Brian

- Brian Minkin - 03-03-2008

This is a great opportunitty to get up close and personal with club racing.  This event will draw many of the top drivers around the country.  The variety of cars will also be a view to remember.

- Tony356993 - 03-06-2008

3 events already scheduled for August for me (RTR Glen-Thunderbolt w NNJR-RTR Summit). Don't think the boss will go for this. It should be a great event. Good luck.

- Brian Minkin - 03-06-2008

I am doing 3 events as well. But my NJMP event will be Schatenbuam on  Monday and Tues before we are at Summit Thrus and Fri.  I am just writing August off as a blur. In fact I will celebrate my Birthday at the club race. Big Grin