Riesentöter Forums
The Chuff Zone - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: The Chuff Zone (/showthread.php?tid=1072)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Marty Kocse - 03-10-2008

Darren wrote:
Quote:The only thing I ever really read in Der Gasser was Chris' articles. I'd get excited to read his article whenever I saw Der Gasser in the mailbox. And I'm sure I'm not the only one!!!
Not the only thing, but I looked forward to reading Chris' articles also...

- Tony356993 - 03-10-2008

Quote:I don't see why she does not want to continue with you.

she needs to stay in the kitchn Cool
Dave - out of line, not necessary, and certainly not funny.

Quote:The editor has her hands full to produce this publication on a timely basis every month.  Please appreciate the effort and do not criticize what you do not have knowledge of.  

A nice man once told me:

"A wise man knows what he does not know"

Quote:I'd get excited to read his article whenever I saw Der Gasser in the mailbox.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one!!!
Sharon and I used to look forward to Chris's articles (most of them Wink) also. Chris and I have had our share of differences in philosophy but I like to believe we approached our differences in a gentlemanly fashion.

I enjoy the Chuff Zone wherever I can read it.

- Brian Minkin - 03-10-2008

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Brian:

I actually went to great lengths to not be offensive with my answer, and to lump me in with David's remarks regarding the Kitchen is doing me a great disservice. I really did not deserve to be spoken to in such a manner.

Chris,

Accept my apologies for lumping you together with David's remarks. At the time that I read it you two had the dialog going and I reacted to the direction of the thread. Going back and reading it again I can see that you have been careful not to be offensive. What David said however was very much out of line and I found it very offensive with all the effort the volunteers who make this region tick put into it. Maureen is feeling very overwhelmed with what it takes to manage and publish this News Letter. So her quick answer of maybe next month was not sufficient for you to understand why we need to make editorial decisions. You are of course welcome to publish The Chuff Zone on the forum and I am sure she will fit it in when we have space.

Just to clarify this, the previous editor took editorial freedom not to publish articles from exec members about upcoming events and opted to fill it with other stuff. Maureen however understands that one of the most important reason to publish this News Letter is to bring News of the region to the membership.

I to always enjoyed your writing and hope you will continue to give us great reading whether it be on the forum or in Dergasser.

- Wellardmac - 03-10-2008

Gotta admit that I'm a fan of Chris' pieces also, but like being an admin, being an editor is a thankless task and we should all be understanding of a very difficult job.

I'm sure that David will apologize for his inappropriate comment when he gets the opportunity.

- ccm911 - 03-10-2008

Maybe it was me that should have taken a deep breath and relaxed.  I am not at all mad with Maureen.  In fact, I was just telling someone that my plight was made that much more difficult due to the fact the editor ranks up there with Registrar as being a really thankless task(as I am sure Brian knows).

No hard feelings.  Thanks so much for the space.  We can't all be fighting or there will be no one on the schoolyard with whom to play.Big Grin  Oooops, can I say that?  Schoolyard...never mind.

- dmano - 03-10-2008

Sorry poor judgement.

Chris had nothing to do with my comment!!!!!!!

If I was serious in the remark there would have not been a smiley face attached.

I know her job as we used to do it for my antique car club "CCACC" not an easy task to take on. Diane and I used to fight over what should be published with the limited space we had to work with 4 pages total with over 300 members in the club at the time. 

Lighten up all.

I will follow Chris's column were ever it may be written.

- dmano - 03-10-2008

Brian Minkin wrote: First let me say that due to cost restrictions we have to limit it to a specific number of pages. (I think the count is 20 pages plus cover). Even with a national PCA stipend and advertising revenue we do not even break even on publishing Dergasser.

The first priority is to fit all the paid advertising into the publication as well as articles written by the exec board members.

I have done this before. For 2 years to be exact.

Looking at what you wrote here it sounds like the whole Der Gasser is a big Ad and an Exec board blog.

What happened to making space for your members to be able to write for the club?

Pictures of members rides, mods, family members on weekend holidays with their car.

My first priority was always to the members who wrote articles then to the Exec board then to the advertisers. CCACC is now all on the web, as many pages as you like and still have advertisers.

Without the members there would be no EXEC board or a need for Advertisers

A lot of members enjoy Chris's work so why exclude him?

Can there be a site for the Exec's on the web under the Club Activities/ Exectuive News instead of taking space in the paper?

Or have no paper at all, save the money, and put Der Gasser on the web site under it's own heading.

Just my 2 cents.

- Darren - 03-10-2008

I agree Dave, FWIW.  I don't understand the finances of the club enough to understand why individual parts of it are financed and managed independently.

There are some things that we should do as a matter of pride and because we know that we want to do them (and how we want to do them).  There are also other things -- well maybe just DE that we make more money from.

I know that we were trying to put together a club race at Thunderbolt and I'm not really sure what happened with that.  Events like that potential event are obviously ways for us to add money to be used for other purposes.

The same argument seems to also go for Autox.  Our events run in the red when we rent the Scanticon lot, but at the risk of not having an Autox program, maybe we shouldn't care so much?

My budgeting experience is on the corporate side, not the non-profit, but I have to wonder whether things like page space in Der Gasser should be budgeted partially as chargebacks to the part of the organization that gets page space.  Part of the space could also be budgeted as member (non-exec) article space.

Autox could also be partially funded by the DE program because I think we'd all agree that the goals of both are the same (at least very similar), and that Autox is a great way to bring new people into the sport.