Riesentöter Forums
05 carrera S - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: 05 carrera S (/showthread.php?tid=1073)

Pages: 1 2

- cal19127 - 03-04-2008

Hello Everyone! 

I am a new member, I joined in September or October 07 and have not been able to attend any meetings yet, however, I am planning on it. 

I got into an accident in Nov. and have had problems with the ride height of the rear passenger side.  I used Don Rosen's recommended body shop and have been left less than satisfied, after much grief and lost time.  The rear passenger suspension has been changed and the front driver strut has recently been replaced to try to remedy this problem.  It is still riding high.  When I drive in regular mode and park the car, the passenger rear is significantly higher than the rest of the car. I can fit all 4 fingers upright (like a handshake) between the tire and the wheel well.  The rest of the car can only accomodate two fingers.  When I have been driving on sport mode, then I can only fit 3 fingers between the wheel and the well on the passenger rear.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?  Is it dangerous, and how can I get it fixed? 

Thank you

- michael lang - 03-04-2008

Carlos, welcome to the group. You will find this is generally a friendly group with a little bit of banter mixed in but no hard feelings taken.

I don't know a whole lot about the 997 and the suspension set up but in reading your post you really didn't go into much detail about your car's suspension alignment settings. It sounds like from what you described the suspension may not be properly aligned. Hopefully some of the 997 guys will chime in and offer you some better advice but I'd be looking at the alignment as a starting point if I was in your scenario.

Again welcome to the club and hope to see you at the track.

- ccm911 - 03-05-2008

Hi Carlos.  Welcome to RTR.  I think it would be best if you took your car to another shop for a second opinion.  Call either Tilsons, Dougherty's, J&J Motors, Possum Hollow, Performance Automotive, or any other reputable shop.  It shouldn't take a lot for them to check it out, and the piece of mind you will get in return will be priceless.

Enjoy.

- cal19127 - 03-05-2008

Thanks guys.

I am looking forward to the next event, later this month.  Anyway, Michael, they did tell me that the alignment was up to factory specs, but you never know, since I am not quite sure of the quality of workmanship I have received.  I have thought about taking it to J & J Motors.  Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

- ccm911 - 03-05-2008

Good choice on J&J.  I use them for all my Porsche work, and Jay is a really honest and experienced guy.

- Wally - 03-05-2008

Greetings Carlos,
Welcome to the club.  By your sign on it seems that you are in Manayunk.  If this is the case, Tilson's is only about 5 mim. from your location.  They are out City Line Ave.
just past St. Joe's.  His shop is located next to a SEPTA train station. 
Good luck,
Wally

- Brian Minkin - 03-05-2008

Carlos,

If Rosens sent you to Finish Line Collision they do have the equipment to insure the suspension mounting points are all in proper allignment.  When your car was repaired was the rear quater replaced?  It could be a sheet metal issue and not a suspension issue.

- cal19127 - 03-05-2008

Thanks Wally, I appreciate your help.  I am going to follow on a couple of leads, I did go to the dealer today and noticed on 2 brand new Carrera S' that they are all slightly higher on the same side as the other side.  They said that the car may settle a bit once the new struts and shocks have some miles on them.  I will keep an eye on it and then check out the suggested places.  

Brian, they did not replace the quarter panel, I believe they just fixed it, the damage on the quarter panel was not that extensive, it was more suspension and paint work. 

Thank you for your help. 

- Larry Herman - 03-09-2008

Carlos, any of the shops referenced should be able to check your car, and confirm whether or not it has a problem. It really is as simple as putting the car on a leveled alignment platform and weighing the corners and measuring the ride height. That will quickly determine if the RR fender gap is due to suspension (spring height) differences or fender alignment.

- michael lang - 03-10-2008

Carlos, I've been thinking about your problem. One thing that I noticed when I redid my shocks on both the front and rear was that my car's ride height came up as much as almost 2 inches. I went from stock Boges with my car lowered to Bilstein Sports fr & rr. My car raised back up. You had commented that the shop has replaced both pass side shocks. I'm thinking that your car has settled and with the driver side shocks being original the new pass side shocks would explain why it sits slightly higher. If new driver side shocks were put in I think your car's ride height would be equal again.

Just my $.02