Riesentöter Forums
What is DE? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: What is DE? (/showthread.php?tid=1120)

- Tom Zuraw - 05-05-2008

Is there a FAQ or something?

Tom Zuraw

- Graham - 05-05-2008

Tom Zuraw wrote:
Quote:Is there a FAQ or something?

Tom Zuraw

Tom,

Come to Snidely on May 17th and you will know everything there is to know about DE! I will be caravaning the gang up from Otto's in Warminster or you can meet up in Allentown. Good event for $30, money well spent. You bring your own car...

Otherwise, there isn't a FAQ sheet on the site though I am sure by the end of this thread, you will have more than enough information. Snidely will give you the feel for the track so hope to see you there.

-Graham (VeeP)

- AMoore - 05-05-2008

Tom,

If you ever wanted to drive your Porsche the way it was meant to be driven, without actually racing, then DE is for you.  As a beginner, you would be put in the green run group.  You would then get to run 4 sessions per day during a weekend event, on a real track, with complex turns and straights (Pocono, Summit Point, Watkins Glen, etc.).  There will be a certified instructor in your passenger seat every step of the way.  As a student progresses, he can advance to higher level run groups and even be permitted to drive without an instructor.  Drivers Ed is not like racing.  You can pass other drivers, but only if they permit you with a waive, and only on a straigt.  This is why it is much safer than racing, where the goal is to prevent passing.  There are some drivers ed materials that can be copied from the Riesentoter website.

This of course is a simplified summary.  Like Graham, I recommend you attend the snidely wiplash event which is described on the website.

Good Luck,

- Phokaioglaukos - 05-05-2008

Here is a FAQ from the Chicago Region: http://www.pca-chicago.org/?getpage=21

The PCA DE program is increasingly national, with national certification of instructors, minimum standards for promotion and event administration.

In short, DE is a way to take your car to the track and learn, with an instructor sitting next to you, how to drive at speed in a controlled way. It's a great deal of fun and the Riesentöter instructors are very able.

Come see at Pocono, and then consider trying one of the wonderful tracks on our schedule.

- Wally - 05-05-2008

Tom Zuraw wrote:
Quote:Is there a FAQ or something?

Tom Zuraw

Welcome Tom, You could probably find answers to most of your questions by going to our web site, open drivers ed. and scroll down to the DE Manual. It explains what is done at DE's, what you have to do to prepare and gives some helpful hints about a track week end. It also gives you track layouts and breaks down the turns for you. For first hand information and a taste of the track, come out to Snidley as has been suggested and have a great time.Smile

Good luck, be safe,

Wally

- ninjabones - 05-06-2008

For the sake of your wife, children and finances... DON"T DO IT!!!!!  Ask me how I know. 

You're basically asking a bunch of crack addicts to take your first hit on the pipe.

- AMoore - 05-06-2008

crack is cheaper!

- Graham - 05-06-2008

Crack can be goooooood....  Once a month, under specific conditions, with an instructor at your side.... Tongue

- Tom Zuraw - 05-13-2008

Wally,
Thanks! The manual covers most of the bases.

Graham,
Your suggestion is a good one I'd like to take you up on. For Snidely do you need a helmet and is Snidely run throughout the summer? I need to get new tires and tune things up before I try.

Others,
You may be right about 'don't do it.' Even the helmet will be show stopper. I was lucky enough to buy the car. My wife would flip if I told her I wanted to do something that required me to buy a helmet.

In part I do want to get some drivers ed. Much of DE sounds more like Racers Ed than mere Drivers Ed.

Tom Zuraw

- ccm911 - 05-14-2008

Tom.  You should really do at least one or two DEs.  I promise that you will be a much better driver in that you will know how your car will react in many circumstances that you would not be able to experience on the street.  It will make you that much safer.

As for Racers Ed?  This is a forum, and folks like to think they are engaged in mortal combat.  But once you get to the track, you will realize that things are much different.  There will be a bunch of folks just starting out, and if you are like me, you will not only learn how to drive, but also will make some really good friends.

Enjoy that Porsche!