Riesentöter Forums
Know any Spec Boxsters racing near here? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Know any Spec Boxsters racing near here? (/showthread.php?tid=1146)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Darren - 09-01-2009

Sure, one sold on Rennlist a month ago 1999 996 for $14k.  It had a bar not a cage but that's all it needed.  Coughlin had a pink one real cheap too Smile Don't know what happened to that one.

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-02-2009

It took a year, but finally there is some discussion on this topic. Good to see! I posted last July because I had talked with two other RTR members whou were thinking Spec Boxster. Now I know of three or four more who are giving it a think. So let's continue the discussion.

The ideal car for me must have a tight spec to make close racing, large fields and sanctions at many local tracks (from WGI to VIR and Mid-O). At this point high HP, adjustable suspension and downforce are less important, but would be great to have also.

Spec Boxster has a good spec, if not as tight as SSM in SCCA racing. The fields in other regions are very good, but not many around here now. There is good PCA club racing around here, and I like the Porsche guys. So if we can get a number of people to commit to build cars this winter it might be a good class. Maybe we can get a shop to do a group build which might reduce costs and would get us more evenly prepared cars.

The cars are faster than Miatas so they can be good DE cars too, and better balanced than a 996.

Who is interested?

- ninjabones - 09-02-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:Are you telling me about cheap racing? I do race an Acura you know.

Yeah a Miata is $20k but how much does a new tub cost? $1000? The cost to race a Spec Boxster is going to be roughly the same as racing a 911, so may as well just race a 911. Forget about close racing because there aren't enough of the cars in the area.

Never build or buy a car to race in a class with only 3 cars, it's just stupid.

I definitely don't want to debate about cheap racing with the master... but, I don't necessarily agree that running a spec boxster costs the same as my 993 or a 996. The 993 was a relatively rare car compared to the production of boxsters. Consequently, there is a wealth of used and aftermarket parts available. Also, junkyards are filled with available body panels and parts. I had to really hunt to find parts for my 993 after my wreck (many 993 parts are NLA). Used boxster engines are dirt cheap compared to air cooled 993s and as we learned from Ian recently, 996 engines are no longer cheap). Consumables will also be cheaper due to the car's weight including rotors and brake pads. And most importantly, the spec boxster runs a spec tire (R888), which would significantly reduce costs. I estimate that I spent about $1,200 on consumables this weekend in the club race in my 993 (1/2 set of pagid blacks, 2/3 set of hoosiers, 1/3 set of rotors, 45 gallons of fuel).

I wouldn't also compare them to spec miata in terms of speed... just to compare apples to apples (track conditions, etc), in the sprint races on sunday morning from this weekend, here were some times and remember that spbox is on R888s and the rest of the cars were on hoosiers)

SPbox (bell) 1:36.6

Kenny Nielson (GT3 J class) 1:32.065

John Giannone (3.6 996 I class) 1:32.6

Pete Tremper (964) 1:35.7

Pete Dubusman (993 H class) 1:33.1

Glen Crawford (993 G class) 1:34.69

Dave Schenk (3.4 996 H class) 1:33.9

Fred Constantineau (D class 1980 SC) 1:35.639

Frank Celenza (944 SP3) 1.37.12

Darren wrote:
Quote:A lot of money for a slow car Smile
At Thunderbolt the best lap by a SPBOX in a sprint race was 1:37.407. The fastest lap by a G car (a 993) was our own Glen Crawford at 1:36.413.

The SPBOX finished 4th in Blue Sprint #1, ahead of 32 other cars, mostly 944s and some SCs.

Sure a GTC4 car (GT3 cup) did a fastest lap of 1:26.446, a solid 10 seconds faster than the SPBOX, but that was the only GTC4 car running. How much fun was that for him to finish 19 seconds ahead of the next car, a GTC3 (and there were only four GTC3s).

- ninjabones - 09-02-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Darren wrote:
..... The fastest lap by a G car (a 993) was our own Glen Crawford at 1:36.413...

it was rainingSmileSmileSmile

Note this thread on Rennlist: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/521741-wtb-97-99-race-car-candidate.html

Charlie (Dr Jupeman) writes: Three of the top GTC1 drivers migrated away from the class this year. Two more were talking Spec Boxster at this past weekend's Thunderbolt race as they are looking for lower running costs (e.g., no slicks). So... left with less competition and an admitted appeal to lower running costs.... YES! I think I may go the Spec Boxster route.

LVDell is there, too: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/516590-since-selling-the-gt3-and-then-the-rsa-heres-what-i-have-been-up-to.html

I talked with Dell just now. There are about 8 people in his area (not far from VIR) building SPBOX cars this year, including Dell. Mooty from Rennlist also has one. Many cup car guys are moving there. The car is cheaper, but more important the consumables are MUCH cheaper. If only the cup car guys would pick spec tire!

- Darren - 09-02-2009

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Darren wrote:
..... The fastest lap by a G car (a 993) was our own Glen Crawford at 1:36.413...

it was rainingSmileSmileSmile

Seriously do you think Glen is that slow that he is 1 second away from a Spec Miata?

I just dont get the brand loyalty here. There are many cars to race, searching for a cheap Porsche is like looking for an ugly Playboy Playmate.

What's wrong with the Spec Miata? Can't you spend more money on that?

A Spec Miata is great in a race, but it's not so much fun in a DE--it's fast in the corners compared to lots of high HP cars but slow in the straights. Without the right to pass in the corners it's not very enjoyable.

I'm thinking a Spec Boxster would be better in a DE even if it does not have quite as good a race group (PCA vs. SCCA; smaller vs. huge fields). If the cage is not tied to the A-pillar I think a Spec Boxster can run in SCCA ITA, too.

I think it important to participate in RTR DEs and instruct. I've learned a lot in the Club and I'd like to help it continue, and improve.

Darren, is your Acura fun in DEs?

- Darren - 09-03-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Darren, is your Acura fun in DEs?
Depends on the track! I love driving it at Summit Point but I didn't bring it to the Glen for this reason, I'd get killed. Similarly the Boxster would get killed at the Glen in DE.

- ninjabones - 09-03-2009

post deleted