Riesentöter Forums
Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels (/showthread.php?tid=1168)

Pages: 1 2

- George3 - 05-29-2008

I have two sets of wheels for the WRX.  Both are OEM factory wheels and finish.  I use CarboTech XP10 racing brake pads on the car.  These pads are being used on the street and on the track with both sets of wheels.

I'm noticing I can't get the brake dust cleaned off from the wheels due to the extremely high temperatures... the brake dust is being baked on to the wheel finish.

I've tried cleaning the wheels with over the counter wheel and brake dust cleaners with no success.  I would like to know if anyone is aware of any cleaners, acids, or stronger solvents to remove the caked-on, baked-on brake residue from the wheels.

Thanks.

- ccm911 - 05-29-2008

When I ran Hawk Blues on my car during my track years, I used to have the ame problem.  What I did was soak the wheel with a LIBERAL amount of wheel cleaner.  Then, after it sat for a few minutes, I would take a wooden paint stirrer, and use it like a big eraser, working it along the stained areas.  It would actually scrape off the buildup.

Hopefully, the Tech Chairman will have an easier solution for you.Big Grin

- Ccns23 - 05-29-2008

This may sound silly, but try EZ-Off oven cleaner. Try it on the back of a wheel first in a small section, but I've had "some" sucess with it in the past. Spray it on, wait a few min, then wipe off.

- Ccns23 - 05-29-2008

And don't forget to THOROUGHLY rinse the EZ off after you remove the caked on dust. You don't want that sitting on a tire/wheel any longer than it has to.

Good luck!! Big Grin

- George3 - 05-29-2008

I don't want to try EZ Off Oven Cleaner.  I had to replace the top of my stove one time.  Ask me how that happened?

I soaked the crud with wheel cleaner... and, also a combination of wheel cleaner and Bleech White.  Minimal removal. 

There's gotta be an acid solution for this.  I can't be the only one.

- Larry Herman - 05-29-2008

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:When I ran Hawk Blues on my car during my track years, I used to have the ame problem. What I did was soak the wheel with a LIBERAL amount of wheel cleaner. Then, after it sat for a few minutes, I would take a wooden paint stirrer, and use it like a big eraser, working it along the stained areas. It would actually scrape off the buildup.

Hopefully, the Tech Chairman will have an easier solution for you.Big Grin
Sure do, paint'em black!

Actually we have not had any problems using the Hawk HT10 pads on our Subie. One other thought is to try a mild compound/cleaner wax. Once you get them clean though, I have read (but not tried) that RejeX applied to your wheels will make the brake dust much easier to wipe off.

The best ever wheels that I owned were Fikse black anodized FM-5s. Brake dust just would not stick to them, and you could literally blow the dust off with an air hose.

- George3 - 05-29-2008

Black would be nice, but I want to keep the wheels looking stock.  I like the Silver contrast.  I tried the cleaner/wax with no luck.  Any solutions or solvents that have been tried for this?

- ccm911 - 05-29-2008

I once found a wheel cleaner made by Simonize that actually had an acid in it.  This may be your best route.  Dicey, but what the heck, the wheels already look like hell.  Try a professional detail shop and get the strong stuff.

- AMoore - 05-29-2008

I've done some research on this.  Most cleaners are acidic.  This can be bad for polished wheels like Fikse, as opposed to stock clearcoat wheels.  Some have even suggested using an acidic based concrete cleaner, but that seems excessive.

I have Fikse wheels with some baked on brakedust areas.  I may take Larry's advice if I can figure out how to paint them. 

Larry, what process would you recommend for painting aluminum Fikses black? Powdercoat?

- Brian Minkin - 05-29-2008

You do not want to powder coat aluminum wheels.  Powder coating requires an oven bake after it is applied and this changes the characteristics of the aluminum and could cause premature failure.  Aluminum most be anodized to have color added.