Riesentöter Forums
Alternative Energy - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Alternative Energy (/showthread.php?tid=1175)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- ccm911 - 05-22-2008

As oil just passed the $135 per barrel mark, the situation is begining to look like more than just a momentary price hike.  These high prices may just be with us for a while.

And while I really love America, the same can not be said for our Auto manufacturers. I have no sympathy for them at all.  How can GM really complain about eroding market share when they blatantly went for the fast buck by basing an unreasonably high percentage of their product line on light trucks.  Sure, it was easy to push out stuff like the Suburban when gas prices were lower.  They made a lot of profit on these inappropriate vehicles(can anyone say "Hummer")?  But now when the boom has been lowered, we hear them crying about not having product appropriate for the new petroleum-stunted economy. 

But then again, they happily raked in the bucks when George "The Dunce" Bush pushed trough legislation that provided HUGE tax breaks to folks that purchased large trucks.  And then he had the nerve to suggest that it was good for the economy in that it stimulated production, and businesses would be getting a tax break as well.

And how was this a responsible move in making us less dependent on foreign oil? He all but RAISED our dependency on foreign oil as a bunch of hapless yuppies went out and bought up Escalades and Suburbans in order to take advantage of yet another case of "Corporate Welfare".  And people seem to think I am negative when I bitch about soccer moms in Suburbans.  Like they really need that large a vehicle.  Seems to me that these yuppies with their misguided notions are no better than common street trash when it comes to forwad thinking and saving the environment.

And believe me, I am no tree hugger.  But the time has come for us to take a step back and rethink things.  Don't you all want to coninue to enjoy your fast cars on the track?  Well then something has got to give.  We need to save energy in other areas in order to be assured of a steady supply of fuel for the track.

I like David's post about solar energy for the home.  Not perfect, but a decent start.  Why did we wait until now to start researching alternative energy, when we knew this was coming all along?  And why are we moving so fast towards ethanol? Will we back ourselves into a corner where we will have to chose between food or fuel?  Due to the shortsightedness of the American public and the government we are going to have to make some really painful choices in the years ahead.

Are you folks ready to embrace the future? 

- Vytenis - 05-22-2008

We had an oil wakeup call in the 1970's and we chose to go back to sleep.  The economics of the present situation will surely keep us awake.

Interesting article about worldwide energy consumption and stats about where it comes from: http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-9928068-54.html?tag=bl

"V"

- ccm911 - 05-22-2008

Very interesting.  I grew up in the Coal region and did not realize that it was still in use today as much as the Pie chart would suggest.

A very scary article.  Good catch!

- AMoore - 05-22-2008

It appears that we are on our way to using hydrogen powered cars within in our lifetime.  I'm pretty sure we won't run out of Hydrogen, (from water).

- Wellardmac - 05-22-2008

Vytenis wrote:
Quote:We had an oil wakeup call in the 1970's and we chose to go back to sleep. The economics of the present situation will surely keep us awake.

Interesting article about worldwide energy consumption and stats about where it comes from: http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-9928068-54.html?tag=bl

"V"

I've gotta echo this. The signs were there and we should have heeded them, but chose not to.

The automakers produced and sold lots of large trucks because the US population wanted them. They were not shoved down our throats, we begged for them - they were status symbols of stupidity and excess. The automakers simply did what any good business should do and cashed in on demand. People still buy those wasteful monsters. It drives me nuts every time (and I hear this way more often than I like) to hear people say that they NEED an Escalade now that they have a kid in order to carry around all the junk - huh? what do they have? baby elephants?

We waste a lot of energy (well, we habitually consume and waste needlessly) and show no signs of that changing. We have never been big on energy efficient devices and go for cost and bling over efficiency and energy use.

Looks around your house - how many lights are on in unoccupied rooms? How many appliances are left on stand-by? How many appliances do you have that are outdated and not as energy efficient as they could be? Our houses are abysmally insulated - just take note of snow melt patterns next time it snows and you'll get my point. All of those things needlessly waste energy.

Until we get wise on energy use, then I have no sympathy for anyone who whines about the cost of energy. Do your bit to cut back on use and educate others on doing the right thing - then you can whine about others not pulling their weight.

- Vytenis - 05-22-2008

A Saudi Arabian prince was quoted as saying "The stone age did not end for lack of stone".  The high cost of of fossil fuels will spur new technologies and changes in attitudes.

"V"

PS I'm not a tree hugger either and thoroughly enjoy driving around in circles for 20 minutes, going nowhere, four times a day,on a three day weekend.

- ccm911 - 05-23-2008

Vytenis wrote:
Quote:PS I'm not a tree hugger either and thoroughly enjoy driving around in circles for 20 minutes, going nowhere, four times a day,on a three day weekend.

Well that just illustrates my point further. I am not in any way, shape or form bashing track driving. I am merely stating that if we all would like to continue, we will need to save elsewhere so that when we do go to the track, there will be ample fuel for our cars.

And to be honest, I think we should seriously consider a "Gas Guzzler Tax" to be paid annually by those who chose to use oversize, inefficient vehicles for purposes other than business. I mean, you can't fault a guy like Minkin for driving a Suburban, as it contains all the tools essential for his livelyhood. But when you see one woman and one child in one of these behemoths, then they should have to pay. And why, you may ask? Because it is no longer a "personal choice". All of the world's citizens need fuel, so we will need to share and share alike. My aforementioned Tax Dollars should then be directed towards alternative energy development.

It is no longer "fashionable" to flaunt one's wasteful habits under the guise of being "hip" or "cool". Actually, for some of us, it never was.

- Vytenis - 05-23-2008

Who determines what fair use of a resource is?  If a gas guzzler tax was implemented then sports cars, pleasure boats,  racing events, etc. could be deemed wasteful and taxed as well.

Based on the price of fuel, I think that the average American will think differently about their next car purchase.  This approach has worked pretty well in Europe.

"V"

- ccm911 - 05-23-2008

Actually, if the gas guzzler tax was based on annual mileage, sportscars would be exempt. 

And I would gladly offer my services regarding who gets taxed. Big Grin

- Vytenis - 05-23-2008

I'd go for that!