Riesentöter Forums
SPIED! - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Water-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: SPIED! (/showthread.php?tid=1186)

Pages: 1 2

- emayer - 06-05-2008

I just returned from visting my folks in Stuttgart.  While there I made a visit to relatives working at Porsche and had a chance to see the revised Carrera.  No major changes.  Most noted were the rear tailights which are now LED.  This car had the sports exhaust, to my ear though the sound was a bit different...

I drove a Cayenne turbo while there- nice! Big Grin  Fuel prices hurt me though at nearly 1.30 euros PER LITER!  Won't be complaining about prices here for some time...

The Porsche museum is well behind schedule, completion by the end of this year is optimistic.  If anyone is interested, I have photos from the various stages of construction I can post.  The building is fascinating in that the entire (distinctly shaped) structure is supported by only 3 small pods.  It is the first such design.

- Wellardmac - 06-05-2008

Now you're just teasing, no photos?

See and Panameras?

- porsh111214 - 06-05-2008

Aww, Come on Eric you shouldn't have to ask if we want them posted!  Talk about a tease!  Missed you at the Bethlehem ConcoursSad

- APXD 30 - 06-06-2008

You want details....here you go from Autoweek.com   Are they calling it a 998?

Porsche makes 911 Carrera faster, more expensive
Direct injection, dual-clutch transmission added to '09 models

By DALE JEWETT
[Image: bilde?Site=CW&Date=20080606&Category=FRE...5&maxw=350]
[Image: zoom1.gif] For the 2009 model year, Porsche fits the 911 Carrera with direct injection and an optional seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
[line]

There's a new Porsche 911 Carrera coming to dealerships this September--with a couple of major changes underneath the engine cover.

Porsche has fitted its flat-six engines with a direct injection fuel system, which delivers more horsepower and better fuel economy (who says you can't have it all.)

The other performance enhancement is that the 911's engine--which still displaces 3.6 liters for the 911 Carrera coupe and cabriolet, and 3.8 liters for the 911 Carrera S coupe and Carrera S cabriolet--can be mated to an new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, the Porsche-Doppelkupplung, or PDK.

It is Porsche's first use of a dual-clutch transmission in a road car. The PDK replaces Porsche's Tiptronic automatic transmission. A six-speed manual remains the standard transmission.

Using two clutches minimizes the time needed to change gears, improving performance.

The numbers, according to Porsche:

-- A 911 Carrera with the PDK will sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Its 3.6-liter engine makes 345 horsepower, 20 hp more than the current model.

-- A 911 Carrera S with the PDK will make the 0-60 mph run in 4.3 seconds--0.2 seconds faster than the car equipped with the six-speed manual, Porsche says. The car's 3.8-liter engine makes 385 hp, up 30 hp from the current model. Porsche says the 911 Carrera S now has a top speed of 188 mph.

Need to make that 0-60 mph run faster? Then order up the Sport Chrono Plus package, which includes launch control. Eliminating wheel spin at the start line will shave 0.2 seconds from the 0-60 run for the Carrera and Carrera S.

There are other changes to the 911: light-emitting diodes for the daytime driving lights, taillights and CHMSL; larger air intakes in the front bumper; and a dual-arm design on the door-mounted rear view mirrors. Inside, there's a new version of the audio control system with a touch screen, Bluetooth technology, and USB and digital music player connections.

Base price of the 911 Carrera coupe will be $75,600, Porsche says, not including shipping charges. That's up $2,100 from the current model.

The 911 Carrera cabriolet and S coupe will start at $86,200 (up $2,400); and the 911 Carrera S cabriolet will have a base price of $96,800, up $2,700.

This article was last updated on: 06/05/08, 22:48 et

- APXD 30 - 06-06-2008

emayer wrote:
Quote:I drove a Cayenne turbo while there- nice! Big Grin Fuel prices hurt me though at nearly 1.30 euros PER LITER! Won't be complaining about prices here for some time...
Please check my math, 1.3E x 3.8/.7=$7.06/gallon. I actually thought it was more like $8-10/gallon there.

- emayer - 06-06-2008

LOL!  Sorry guys- pics of the cars were verboten!  I did not see a Panamera while there (Try as I might!).

I'll post what I have from the factory and other tidbits this weekend when I get a chance to download.

JPD, your math is correct.  The euro conversion was 0.67.  1.3 euro/L was the cheapest gas I saw there.  Prices were as high as 1.47/L.  Interestingly, in some places regular and super were the same price!  Diesel was also slightly more expensive.

My family lives in the same area as Wiedeking (affectionately known as WW in these parts ala "JR" from Dallas...).  Turns out the newest hobby amongst the elite are Porsches of a different sort- tractors.  He has a plot of land nearby to practice, the joke is how his security detail is supposed to follow in an S-class Mercedes... 

To his credit, he has personally invested quite a bit in the region and various charities.  He is well respected for the turnaround of Porsche's fortunes.

- APXD 30 - 06-06-2008

More pics from Rennlist posted yesterday.  Note the new wheel design.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=434933&referrerid=49645

- emayer - 06-06-2008

JPD,

Thanks for the data, I was told basically the same as well.  I saw one car in motion entering the factory the other was parked but I was unable to get close enough to peek inside.  The parked vehicle had turbo rims.  As mentioned, the car being driven did have the sports exhaust set-up but just seemed to sound different.  I'm not sure if this is an additional modification or a difference in euro specs.  Anyway, the real news is the addition of DSG (finally) to the lineup.  No doubt this will be placed in the turbo in the near future.

- emayer - 06-07-2008

Guys,

Trying to post pics today but having trouble do to size limitations.  Any tips from the computer gurus out there?  Thanks-

- Wellardmac - 06-07-2008

emayer wrote:
Quote:Guys,

Trying to post pics today but having trouble do to size limitations. Any tips from the computer gurus out there? Thanks-

resize the photos below 600 pixels wide. and keep the size below 500000 bytes