Riesentöter Forums
Help with Tough Decision (memoirs of a track newb) - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help with Tough Decision (memoirs of a track newb) (/showthread.php?tid=1227)

Pages: 1 2 3

- ninjabones - 07-12-2008

So, I've had some time to reflect on the occurences of the past month.  Looking to put the wreck behind me and move on. 

I'm still waiting for word from my insurance company regarding my claim, but it is looking more and more as if the deal is going to make it more beneficial for me to get rid of the car.

Here are some of my options moving forward:

1.  Buy another stock 993 and transfer all my racing bits over (lsd, JICs, RS sways, rollbar, seats, strut brace, lightweight battery, steering wheel, etc).   It's a buyer's market and there are lots of cars available right now.  After the insurance payout, at the end of the day, I'd have a DE-prepped 993 ready for the Glen, and still have $7,000 left over (buy trailer, and other goodies with the change)

2.  Keep the 993 and fix her. The obvious downside is that I'll be out of the game for quite some time, and it is going to be a financial loser based on the insurance deal and repair costs.  However, it could be an opportunity to really strip the car, perhaps fix her cheapler to less than concourse standards and have a really mean DE car that could be transformed pretty easily down the road into a competitive G-class car.  Downside also is that the 993 (as I've learned) ain't a cheap car to track.  Parts are getting harder and harder to find and aircooled engines are ridiculously expensive to rebuild/replace.

2.  Here's an out-of-the-box idea that I'm finding pretty attractive... I found a couple very sweet fully prepped spec boxsters on the west coast.  PCA has just recognized SBR as an official race class and I'm sure that this is going to pick up on the East soon just like it has blossomed on the West coast and Texas.  Fully race-prepped cars with log books can be had pretty cheaply.

In truth, it may be a better learning car for me, without the possiblity of masking minor mistakes with horsepower.  In addition, boxster parts are dirt cheap (replacement engine less than $3,000), the car is easy on brakes and rotors, spec tires (r888) are cheap and will last 1/2 season.  And, to top it off, if I'm ready (and motivated) to race in a year or two, I'll have a fully prepped/sorted car with which I'll be intimately familiar. 

Opinions on these and other options greatly appreciated.  I'm tired of repeating everyone elses mistakes all the time, including my wreck three weeks ago that was, in a nutshell, due to the confluence of multiple preventable factors (ego, "in-a-rush-to-get fast" mentality, fatigue during the fourth run session, cold tires, pushing too hard at a dangerous and unfamiliar track despite repeated warnings, etc).  Hindsight is 20/20.

And, again I am greatly appreciative of all the support that the RTR guys have given me over the past few weeks with both advice & pep talks (especially Bob Turgeon, Darren Mingis and Todd Reid), towing my car (Graham Knight) and wheels (Tony S.) back from the Glen, and strategic planning (Bill Dougherty, Dave Coughlin, Steve M. and Graham)
Glen

- Sechsgang - 07-12-2008

I would say if you want to get into the racing later, go for the boxter or a true club race car that has already been built...you will then be practicing in something you plan to race and will build a comfort level with the car that is necessary to step out of your comfort zone (not that that ever happens during a race or anything...). Plus, youll make out the best financially speaking IMHO.

- George3 - 07-12-2008

I can't speak for you, Glenn.  But I usually like to wait to sort things out in my mind on what to do next.  I don't rush big decisions and usually I come up with the correct answer of what to do.  I can't speak for anyone else, except me.

- ninjabones - 07-12-2008

I wouldn't say that I'm in a rush.  I've been sitting on my hands for three weeks; this is my first post asking for feedback, and I still haven't gotten the final word from WSIB yet.  Can't make any decisions until I find out the final deal.  Who knows, they may end up screwing me and then I won't have so many options... but I also don't want to write off the rest of the season. 

I've toyed around with spending a weekend or two doing schools (god knows I need it), and even renting a car for a DE or two while I sort things out. George, you feel like renting me your WRX for a few weeksConfusedhock:?. 

I'm not making any moves today, but exploring options and looking for feedback.  Sometimes, this type of set-back can create interesting opportunities.  It's all pretty crazy, because the car really isn't in that bad a shape and I think I could fix her on the cheap if I were patient, creative and hunted for used parts.  However, I'm not going to dump money into the car if I can't keep the title clean (ie., only if WSIB does not total the car).   Once WSIB and I settle, I'll have a better idea about what direction I'm taking.

- George3 - 07-13-2008

Glenn, although many poked fun, I had the WRX all set up with roll bar, harnesses. suspension, turbo back exhaust, etc., but stock engine.  Let me tell you, it was a formidable little track car.  Particularly in the wet.  For around $12,000 (or so) you can pick one of these up.  Unfortunaltey, I recently sold mine (all set up).

- ninjabones - 07-13-2008

I'm not poking fun... I was serious.  I would seriously rent a car for a couple weeks while I sort things out.  Any takers? Probably not the best way to find a rental car, starting out with news about your recent wreck.Smile

Also, who could honestly say that this spec boxster idea doesn't look like fun?  Here are some in-car videos from some recent races:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7815018334393007680&hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO5wehgZa3o&eurl=http://www.boxsterspec.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIq8W9D60c&eurl=http://www.boxsterspec.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhxpy7ttQ2o

Donor cars can be had for about $9,000.  Strip her down, throw in a cage and seats, work the spec-allowable add-ons (PSS9s, sway bars, oil cooler, etc) and your in business.

- ninjabones - 07-13-2008

Just more food for thought... with the insurance payout, I could sell my dailer driver bmw and pick up a fully prepped spec boxster, new aluminum open trailer, and a 2006 Cayenne S tow vehicle and not have to spend a dime (including taxes).  Sound like a no brainer to anyone else?

- geza - 07-13-2008

I was faced with the “What do I get next?�?  dilemma, just recently.  Here is my $0.02 regarding the Porsche options:

1. 993- Great handling, mechanically solid car. Many people run them and there is a wealth of support as well as knowledge base. The problem is that these cars have become sought after as “daily drivers�? and therefore the value remains high for a car to put on the track. Maintenance also remains high. Look at what it costs to do an engine.

1. 994- Low initial cost, a lot of fun for the dollar, as long as you keep it stock. If you don’t do your own work, the maintenance costs will kill you.

1. 996- Great value since they do not have the collector value of a 993. The engine is “plug and play�?. Relatively easy to work on and has modern technology including PSM. The only down side is the nagging question about the rear main seal. If you can get one that has had the engine replaced or has over 35,000 miles and has no problems, you should be OK.

1. Boxster- This seems to be the best option for many reasons. There is a spec class. Very durable and balanced car. Maintenance would be similar to the 996. It is a little more complicated to do your own work. Try and change spark plugs or a fan belt! It can be done. Since it is modern, it also has PSM. Did I mention, “YOU CAN GET ONE CHEAP!�?

I do not know your personal goals, but he Boxster just seems right for so many reasons. The only draw back is that you should be prepared for the feeling of “But it’s not a REAL Porsche�? that you get from both the parent company and other 911 owners. That being said, I loved my Boxsters and enjoyed them right out of the box as track cars. 17 inch tires are a lot easier to find and less expensive than 18 or 19 inch. Consumables are very reasonable and there is plenty of local support. Most do not seem to have the overheating problems (mine were “S�? models) of the 996. Plus, since there are so many good used Boxsters on the market, it may get you back on the track FAST.

Hope this helped.

- jmr3 - 07-13-2008

Glen -- Just some more food for thought -- I highly doubt your car's title will be dinged by WSIB. 

- bobt993 - 07-13-2008

Glen,  Buy a track car already prepped.  The market is such that track cars are very low in cost right now.  Cage, suspension etc should be in place.  You have indicated  that you are considering racing in the future, so much better to start with a car holding a log book and the required safety features now. Smile  Sorry to hear the car is that expensive to put back on the road.   Your car parts will sell easily, so don't worry about getting a car that allows moving them to the new car.  If you were doing the work yourself, this could be a consideration, but labor in/out adds up fast.  I am finally at the point that dropping the trans/engine etc is not a big deal even by myself with nothing but jacks.  This would not be possible without the help and guidance of fellow club members.  Decide how much you want to know about your car or if "arrive and drive" is your preference.  BTW there are alot of race cars for sale on the West Coast right now for 30 to 40K (down about 15K from their prior market value).