Riesentöter Forums
New Jersey Motorsports Park – Thunderbolt Raceway - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: New Jersey Motorsports Park – Thunderbolt Raceway (/showthread.php?tid=124)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- Nick - 10-17-2006

New Jersey Motorsports Park – Thunderbolt Raceway, in Millville, NJ, is a proposed Raceplex that will include at 4 Mile Road Circuit.  Their website doesn’t always contain fresh information http://www.njmotorsportspark.com

We have a home less than 10 miles from the track and I have tried to stay involved with the progress of this project. In attending the town meetings, I have seen huge community support with little opposition. Phase 1 of the project was unanimously approved. It includes Thunderbolt Raceway (the road course), 100 garages, a country club clubhouse, VIP Suites and a Karting Track.  

After meeting with the 3 principals Harvey Siegel, Lee Brahin and Joe Savaro, I was extremely impressed with their business acumen, knowledge of racing and tenacious ability to move forward. Their vision is to build a complex very similar to Harvey’s last project, VIR.

James Redman has aceepted the position of Director of Motorsports Activities. He currently resides in Vero Beach, FL, but plans to move to the area in the near future.

For the most part, this project has successfully moved through its lengthy approval process. The city recently received a $1.5 million Federal grant to build roadways and infrastructure near the Raceplex. Wheels are in motion to make this dream a reality.

I’ve seen many projects like this fail in the past, but feel good about this one. I believe that a car will drive on the track in 2007 and RTR will host a DE event and Club Race here in 2008.  Smile

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-27-2006

Posted on Rennlist today:

Things are moving along nicely with Millville. I spoke to lee a couple of days ago, he hopes to break ground in January.

They are holding a City Commission meeting on Monday, November 6th at 5:00PM. The meeting will be held in the Millville Municipal building on the 4th floor.

The address is:
12 South Street
Millville, NJ 08336

It is at the end of High Street next to the police station.

Lee asked me to get people to this meeting in support of the track. Let's spread the word and show up IN MASS.

Apparently there's another wave of anti- track dweebs that will be in attendance crying about a race track coming to town. I say we drown out their whimpers.

- smankow - 10-27-2006

I should be able to set my schedule to be able to attend.  If anyone is interested in going, let me know and we can head down together.

It looks like its about 90 minutes from my house (Hatboro, PA).

Steve

- Phokaioglaukos - 10-27-2006

I have to be out of town that day so I cannot attend. If you do plan to go, though, please confirm this information before making the drive!

- Nick - 10-29-2006

Yes, the City Commission is slated to vote on an amendment to the redevelopment agreement on November 6[suP]th[/suP].  I will be attending the meeting. There is a nice Asian Restaurant and sushi bar across the street if anyone is interested in dinner afterwords.

Over $400k has been spent on over 25 environmental studies, investigations and evaluations required by the FAA and the U.S. Navy.  But the project continues to move forward. Bertino Associates from Atlantic City is the construction company that will act as general contractor of the project.  I heard that the ground breaking is scheduled for March, ’07.

- TwentySix - 10-29-2006

From the AC Press:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/local/cumberland/story/6855165p-6720953c.html

- Wellardmac - 10-29-2006

Not wishing to be a damp squib or anything, but it's probably up to the citizens of Millville to decide if they want the track in their town.

They shouldn't be subject to the outside influence of others. Sure, you might benefit if they give the track the go ahead, but you shouldn't seek to drown out their voices. To be honest their voice is way more important than yours. I'm hoping that the words were not meant as literally as they were written.

I know that I wouldn't be happy if a track moved into my back yard and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be happy either. I get a little annoyed when I see people seeking to use undue influence on matters that are not theirs to change.

Take my advice and leave them alone to make their decision. I wouldn't be happy if a bunch of out-of-towners came in to make noise at my town meeting. I think I'd be blunt enough to say "get the f#*k out and go back to where you came from".

Just my $0.02, but sometimes others don't realise the impact of their words or actions.

- smankow - 10-29-2006

Wayne, in this instance you don't know what is going on here.

1. Millville is a "needy" community and the residents basically want and need the track for the jobs and revenue that it will bring to their community.

2. This project has already been held up for about a year due to a "legal research project" at a local university.

3. The developers of this project have a proven history of building quality tracks - they own and operate VIR.

4. Those of us who choose to attend this meeting are going in support of the track both from a selfish reason (new place for us to drive) and to give our support to the residents.  Stall tactics have been ongoing for too long now.

Steve

- Wellardmac - 10-29-2006

I accept that I don't have all the facts in this case.

If the residents support the track and the developers have the willpower, then the track will happen. Jersey being Jersey it does not surprise me that adminstrators might hold up the deal.

If the residents support the deal I see no problem in supporting them, but sadly most of the time that is not the case - it is unusual for a deal to be stalled when most of the parties agree that it should happen.

- smankow - 10-29-2006

Personally, I don't know if I'd want a track in my backyard - wait, maybe I do  Big Grin

I do understand where you're coming from.  But, track events bring a lot of revenue to towns through gas, hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc.  This track is truly one where the residents can see the forest through the trees and are welcoming the jobs that it will bring.

I'm curious to see what the latest "issues" are and who is driving them.

Steve