Riesentöter Forums
Red Flags Incident at The Glen - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Red Flags Incident at The Glen (/showthread.php?tid=1254)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- larrybard - 08-05-2008

Despite a number of different postings subsequent to The Glen event, I saw none that mentioned Tom's response in the drivers' meeting to the two drivers who apparently drove past several red flags.

Is the lack of any Forum comment an indication that there was nothing remarkable about Tom's response?

I assume there is universal agreement that the offenses were truly serious, and even absent any comments from the track's management it was important that the drivers involved completely understood the seriousness of their conduct.  However, in my admittedly very limited experience attending RTR DE events, I can recall no similarly public admonitions.  Is that probably because, coincidentally, at the events I have attended there haven't been individual safety lapses of such a magnitude?

Just curious.

- ccm911 - 08-05-2008

Good point.  Your's is the second story I have heard about people ignoring red flags. I am surprised that the powers that be don't make the offending parties sit out a session for missing a red flag.  After all, it IS Drivers Education. Big Grin 

- Sechsgang - 08-05-2008

The problem wasnt as much the flags (well, it IS a HUGE problem...but...) as much as the one offender drove RIGHT BY around 10-15 STOPPED cars(including myself) and right BY the accident itself...a flagger had to literally run in front of a car to stop him. That was a serious problem. The other guy missed a series of flags, but IIRC wasnt near the incident (again, VERY bad but not as WOW as the other guy). Unfortunately, its hard to "practice" this as many tracks only want it to be real when it comes out...I know Tom said he even mentioned this BEFORE the incident as it seems that some need practice in a situation like this. Either way, thank god everyone was alright!

-Drew

- larrybard - 08-05-2008

Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:. . . the one offender drove RIGHT BY around 10-15 STOPPED cars(including myself) and right BY the accident itself

I had wondered about that -- I thought it was conceivable (though reprehensible) that someone could have been just so narrowly focused on the track that they missed the flags, but it seemed implausible that they wouldn't also encounter any stopped cars. That seems really clueless, IMHO. And, I suppose, if any conduct is worthy of public humiliation (extreme though that is), then perhaps that qualifies.

- ccm911 - 08-05-2008

Did you guys in the stopped cars freak out?  I would have been worried about getting hit.

- emayer - 08-06-2008

Sechsgang wrote:
Quote:The problem wasnt as much the flags (well, it IS a HUGE problem...but...) as much as the one offender drove RIGHT BY around 10-15 STOPPED cars(including myself) and right BY the accident itself...a flagger had to literally run in front of a car to stop him. That was a serious problem. The other guy missed a series of flags, but IIRC wasnt near the incident (again, VERY bad but not as WOW as the other guy). Unfortunately, its hard to "practice" this as many tracks only want it to be real when it comes out...I know Tom said he even mentioned this BEFORE the incident as it seems that some need practice in a situation like this. Either way, thank god everyone was alright!

-Drew
Fair point. Missing the flag is one thing, blowing by standing traffic takes this to a more serious level IMO. That said, I'm new to DE events but attended a session earlier this year at the Glen where a "random" flag check was performed. No fun to have a session interrupted, but it ensured everyone was up to spec.

- dmano - 08-06-2008

That driver should be banned for the rest of the season as short as it will be. And possibly be put back into Yellow for the next few sessions as a training penalty. He could have caused a deadly situation for all on the track be it drivers in their cars to corner works to the rescue team.

At the next drivers meeting that driver should be put on the spot in front of the whole crowd and explain what happened.

- ccm911 - 08-06-2008

David, I agree.  It is amazing how many folks will think thy are so fast, yet they can only achieve that speed by focusing only on their driving, as opposed to driving AND their surroundings.  Isn't that what is meant by "Track Awareness"?

Jack, if you are out there, the suggestion of flag tests randomly done during driving sessions would really be a neat way to teach track awareness.

- George3 - 08-06-2008

I think one of the guys that blew thru the RED Flag was one of the two with the high horsepower Camaro's.  One of them had more than 700 hp.  They're not even P-car guys.  Send them home for the day ???  I think a vote would lean in that direction.

- Sechsgang - 08-06-2008

It was #337 and it was the red camaro...I couldnt believe it.