Riesentöter Forums
European delivery photos // raffle car - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: European delivery photos // raffle car (/showthread.php?tid=1312)

Pages: 1 2

- emayer - 10-22-2008

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:We all know the abuse cars take on the track and this car is too nice to sacrifice the aesthetics and the warranty at such a young age.

Josh - it's nice to hear a track guy admitting to the aesthetic toll that putting a car on the track puts on your car.

The number of times I've had people try to convince me that my paint work will not get messed up by tracking my car.... and if I were to believe that, then I'd be gullible enough to buy Lehman Brothers stock right now. Big Grin
+1. Take it from me, as much as I enjoy the 997, I cringe at the abuse the car gets from track debris (and my driving!) on the track. Some of you know I've been vacillating toward changing into a dedicated track car. In the ideal world (read: a spouse that would permit me a third P-car...) I'd enjoy both- like you! Big Grin

- porsh111214 - 10-25-2008

The pic of the winding road with the hairpin reminds me of the Bond movie "Goldfinger"!

- APXD 30 - 10-27-2008

emayer wrote:
Quote:In the ideal world (read: a spouse that would permit me a third P-car...) I'd enjoy both- like you! Big Grin
A friend who got me in the cars once said, "it's not trout fishing....there's no limit!"

Eric, is that your new S550 in the parking lot?---if so, it's sweet!

- emayer - 10-27-2008

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:emayer wrote:
Quote:In the ideal world (read: a spouse that would permit me a third P-car...) I'd enjoy both- like you! Big Grin
A friend who got me in the cars once said, "it's not trout fishing....there's no limit!"

Eric, is that your new S550 in the parking lot?---if so, it's sweet!

LOL! You should've seen my wife's reaction to that one!!!

It's true, the S550 is mine- I'm in technology heaven in that car....

I did sell the turbo to a family member with the idea of getting a more track ready car. Could use some input here from the gang.... GT3 perhaps? In the interim, I was considering the Bertil Roos course next year. I'll have to inquire on the DE post for feedback on this choice.

BTW, love the Cayenne! I got a closer look running the other day- sorry for the drool. Did you guys enjoy Thunderbolt? I couldn't make the event due to another event.... -E

- AMoore - 10-27-2008

emayer wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:We all know the abuse cars take on the track and this car is too nice to sacrifice the aesthetics and the warranty at such a young age.

Josh - it's nice to hear a track guy admitting to the aesthetic toll that putting a car on the track puts on your car.

The number of times I've had people try to convince me that my paint work will not get messed up by tracking my car.... and if I were to believe that, then I'd be gullible enough to buy Lehman Brothers stock right now. Big Grin
+1. Take it from me, as much as I enjoy the 997, I cringe at the abuse the car gets from track debris (and my driving!) on the track. Some of you know I've been vacillating toward changing into a dedicated track car. In the ideal world (read: a spouse that would permit me a third P-car...) I'd enjoy both- like you! Big Grin
My 3 cents:

You want aesthetics, buy a painting. If you insist on owning a 100K automobile for aesthetic purposes, buy, and baby, a classic car that might go up in value. If you want to enjoy driving, buy a Porsche and drive it like you stole it.

Wellardmarc, I don't know who told you that your paint work won't get messed up by tracking a car . . . Of course it will . . . and its well worth it. Have you ever tracked any car?

In ten years, when your 996 / 997 or Boxter is worth a fraction of its new price, and you end up tracking the car anyway, you will ask yourself why you waited.

- emayer - 10-27-2008

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:

My 3 cents:

You want aesthetics, buy a painting. If you insist on owning a 100K automobile for aesthetic purposes, buy, and baby, a classic car that might go up in value. If you want to enjoy driving, buy a Porsche and drive it like you stole it.

Wellardmarc, I don't know who told you that your paint work won't get messed up by tracking a car . . . Of course it will . . . and its well worth it. Have you ever tracked any car?

In ten years, when your 996 / 997 or Boxter is worth a fraction of its new price, and you end up tracking the car anyway, you will ask yourself why you waited.

That's a fair view and I guess I'm in the camp that wants to enjoy P-cars for their asthetics as a daily driver AND beat it on the track. The more I've gotten hooked on the track thing, it appears from a fuctional view both may not be possible from a single car. I came to the point that from a safety and learning perspective- a near 500hp street car may not be the best choice for a newbie...

Trust me when I tell you that I've beaten her like a (well-cared for!) rented mule, I'm surpised I still have a license!.... Big Grin

- APXD 30 - 10-27-2008

emayer wrote:
Quote:AMoore wrote:
Quote:In ten years, when your 996 / 997 or Boxter is worth a fraction of its new price, and you end up tracking the car anyway, you will ask yourself why you waited.
Trust me when I tell you that I've beaten her like a rented mule, I'm surpised I still have a license!.... Big Grin
First, I don't want to hijack Greg's Euro delivery thread, I was just responding to his question of to track or not track the 997. Secondly, maybe I'm just sentimental but it's not about a dollar value of a the car, it's about the memories of building my first new P-car and the trip itself. Yes, economic value has diminished, but it's value to us has not.

Finally E, save the exuberance for the track (DE requires a valid license)!

- emayer - 10-27-2008

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:AMoore wrote:
Quote:In ten years, when your 996 / 997 or Boxter is worth a fraction of its new price, and you end up tracking the car anyway, you will ask yourself why you waited.
Trust me when I tell you that I've beaten her like a rented mule, I'm surpised I still have a license!.... Big Grin
First, I don't want to hijack Greg's Euro delivery thread, I was just responding to his question of to track or not track the 997. Secondly, maybe I'm just sentimental but it's not about a dollar value of a the car, it's about the memories of building my first new P-car and the trip itself. Yes, economic value has diminished, but it's value to us has not.

Finally E, save the exuberance for the track (DE requires a valid license)!
+1, and Greg enjoy those P-cars! Congrats....