Riesentöter Forums
Wires/trailer hook-up - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Towing and Trailers (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Wires/trailer hook-up (/showthread.php?tid=1351)

- APXD 30 - 09-16-2008

So I'm almost towing but I have a question about the Red and Black wires on my trailer that seem to have no home in my application.    Do I need them?

Here's the background:

The dealer installed the Pollack part and my brake controller (Drawtite Activator III) and I have the Uhaul adapter for the LEDs on my trailer.   This is a crazy part to allow Cayenne tow trailer with LEDs.

My trailer lead had a 7 PIN plug on it to fit a Denali (purchased from an RTR member). The problem is that the Uhaul adapter starts accepts a 5 PIN and converts it to a 7 PIN.

Here's my question, my trailer has red and black wires. I believe that Red is "AUX/Backup" and Black is for "12V+." My trailer is a simple open unit with brakes, lights, and an emergency battery.

I think I just need to put a 5 PIN end on to be in business and connect the White, Blue, Brown, Yellow, and Green wires. Will not hooking up the Black and Red matter?

[Image: image_handler.ashx?thumb=1&type=product&id=4089]
LED Light Trailer Module For use with Volkswagen, Porsche or Audi vehicles with manufacturer installed wiring and equipped with automatic trailer lamp monitoring systems when towing trailers equipped with LED lights. Price: $29.95

- Andresawan5251 - 07-07-2012

There is no comparison between the cost of LED lights vs. traditional incandescent options. With incandescent bulbs, the true cost of the bulb is the cost of replacement bulbs and the labor expense and time needed to replace them. These are significant factors, especially where there are a large number of installed bulbs. For office buildings and skyscrapers, maintenance costs to replace bulbs can be enormous. These issues can all be virtually eliminated with the LED option. led tubes

- michael lang - 07-08-2012

Josh, I get what you are saying and in theory your thought process is correct. You probably do not need the red & black as you had suggested. The only thing I would say is it might be wise to check if your Cayenne has a Rear SAM (single activity module) that allows the brake lights & the trailer brake to operate, and if it does, the red & black wires might be for that very purpose.

- ccm911 - 07-09-2012

Michael - This thread is close to four years old. I see this person has replied to a few older posts. I am still trying to determine if this is a legit user or a spammer.

- LouZ - 07-09-2012

ccm911 wrote:
Quote: I am still trying to determine if this is a legit user or a spammer.

So am I.

I've been keeping an eye out, with finger on "Banned".

- michael lang - 07-09-2012

Sorry Chris, I didn't even catch that. I usually pick up on stuff like that. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I really feel like a dumbass.

- CarreraS - 07-10-2012

Mike...did you hear?   Obama won that damn election, too!

TongueBig GrinTongueBig Grin

- APXD 30 - 07-15-2012

Hello All,

I did puchase this Pollack LED adapter but never had to use it.   My 7-PIN worked well with my 2007 BriMar trailer with LED.

Ancient post and problem solved.