Riesentöter Forums
Absentee Ballots for Officers? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Membership Meetings (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Absentee Ballots for Officers? (/showthread.php?tid=1366)

Pages: 1 2

- larrybard - 09-07-2008

Has any consideration been given to permitting members to vote online?

Also, if I recall correctly, absentee ballots were previously printed in Der Gasser.  If there will be no improvement in the process, and printed ballots will once again be needed (and have to be mailed in), is there any reason why blank ballots shouldn't be available as online downloads?

Larry

- Brian Minkin - 09-07-2008

Larry,

Online voting has not been considered. Interesting idea however.  Once the nominations are closed at the end of the september meeting a ballot could go on the web site for printing out and mailing to the election official. We will work on it.

- larrybard - 09-08-2008

Thank you.  Although maybe this variation was impliedly included in RTR's decision not to permit online voting (at least this year; hope springs eternal), might it be possible to email a .pdf copy of a completed ballot to the "official"?

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-08-2008

There are some issues as to how the voting should work to elect the new Board . There are two conflicting provisions of the Pennsylvania Nonprofit Corporation Law that relate to how members can vote at our forthcoming October meeting.

The first provision is in section 5758(b) where it says: "The manner of voting on any matter, including changes in the articles or bylaws, may be by ballot, mail or any reasonable means provided in a bylaw adopted by the members." The second provision is in section 5759(a) where it says "Voting by members of a nonprofit corporation shall be only in person unless a bylaw adopted by the members provides for voting by proxy." (Voting by proxy is how corporations allow stockholders not present at a meeting to vote--the stockholder signs a proxy card instructing someone (the proxy) who will attend the meeting in person (typically an officer of the corporation) to vote the stockholder's shares as the stockholder instructs. The proxy has no discretion in how to vote so his or her casting of the vote for the stockholder is wholly an administrative convenience.) The current Riesentöter Bylaws do not allow for voting by proxy.

The current Bylaws require secret ballots at the October meeting and also provide for absentee ballots ("A provision for absentee ballets will be provided."). Mailed in absentee ballots are authorized by section 5758(b) where voting by ballot and mail is allowed but in conflict with section 5759(a) where voting is allowed only by those present at a meeting in person or by proxy. For the October 2008 election of officers under the current Bylaws, I believe the Club is using the same procedures that have been used in the recent past, which I understand to be that voting members may cast their ballots either in person at the meeting or by mailing an absentee ballot (printed in the Der Gasser) to be received in advance of the October meeting. The September Der Gasser did not include an absentee ballot, but if one is included in the October Der Gasser, posted on the web site or both, it should be possible to vote that way.

The proposed restated Riesentöter Bylaws provide a clear and certain voting procedure that is consistent with all of the provisions of the statute: voting by members is expressly authorized by secret ballot in person at a meeting or by proxy.

The voting members of Riesentöter are the active and family-active members. A family-active member may be a "person of the active members [sic] immediate family, 18 years of age or older, who is the wife, husband, brother, sister, son, daughter, mother or father of the active member." The other classes of member (associate, affiliate, honorary, life and dual members) are not entitled to vote.

- dmano - 09-10-2008

What happend to the good old days of yes or no/ yea or nea.

I forgot LAWYERS were born to screw everything up.

- larrybard - 09-11-2008

dmano wrote:
Quote: I forgot LAWYERS were born to screw everything up.

You forgot to add a smiley face after your comment.

But after you apologize to Chris for all the time and good work he's contributed assisting with this matter alone (not to mention his other contributions to RTR), if it makes you feel better you can continue to criticize me. Wink

- dmano - 09-11-2008

Honestly now, tell if if I am wrong.

I would love to here from the rest of the crowd on this one.

- dmano - 09-11-2008

Don't get me started on lawyers, I can't type that long my fingers would fall off. :dude:

- LouZ - 09-11-2008

dmano wrote:
Quote:Honestly now, tell if if I am wrong.

I would love to here from the rest of the crowd on this one.

A question for you, are you a member of PCA-RTR? I am, and I don't appreciate your wise-a$$ comments about Chris and Larry.

So now you heard from one of the crowd. Happy?

Here's my Big Grin

- dmano - 09-11-2008

Did I say Chris or Larry no, you know what I mean about lawyers so don't be a jack a#$ :?