Riesentöter Forums
Redline Time Attack at Thunderbolt Recap - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Redline Time Attack at Thunderbolt Recap (/showthread.php?tid=1372)

- Darren - 09-17-2008

This past weekend I competed in a Time Attack at NJMP and took a shot at the $1500 prize for the fastest lap around Thunderbolt Raceway.

The primary event was Mazda Zoom Zoom -- featuring both Formula Atlantic and Star Mazda races. The Star Mazda series, for reference, seems to cost about $50k per weekend to compete in. The Atlantics are faster and even more expensive. They were both an absolute blast to watch!  It was a funny combination of these pro race teams and us guys there trying to make a couple of bucks in a time trial.

I think his picture made it worth the trip:

[Image: 911_girls_sm.jpg]

The Time Attack wouldn't have been for everyone -- it was a total free for all.  You show up with a fast car and go for it -- no tech to speak of, no experience required!

There were some people in the Time Attack with NO track experience. There were a half dozen or so people (out of 22) with less than 5 days total track time. Crazy! Why they let these people compete with no credentials is beyond me. Us faster cars would close on these guys at unbelievable speeds. There were also a few very fast cars (600 hp EVO, 500 hp WRX,475 hp G35, C6 Vette, GT3) that were very well driven.  Just imagine a first timer green student out in the Red run group while the Red guys were trying to set the fastest lap -- that's what it was like!

The first session Saturday ended on lap 2 when a brand new Evo went straight off the track in the decreasing radius and stopped in the grass. That in itself wasn't so bad, but then another guy did the same thing, only spinning. The spinning car's b-pillar impacted the rear right corner of the parked car, with dramatic results

[Image: Smashed%20EVO.jpg]

The driver had some cracked ribs -- it looked like the roll bar kept the driver from being crushed because the car body was wrapped around it.  I've never seen a wreck like that!!

The second session out ended in lap 3 when a 240sx ex-drifter jerk
dropped oil entirely on-line around the track (I was suprised he knew the
line!) That resulted in a 40 minute delay to the Star Mazda race -- boy
were they pissed!!!!

I was running in the modified RWD category because I was running r-compound tires.  There was a $1000 prize for each of stock awd, fwd, rwd, and $1500 prizes for each of modified awd, fwd, rwd.

The track was configured with the chicane near turn 3 so lap times were 2-3 seconds slower than in the regular configuration.  They also put tires on the apexes of turns 5, 7, and 12 which also slowed things down.  My best timed lap was a 1:37.4 which I was fairly proud of.  Without the chicane I think I can get into the low 1:34's.

Video from the street RWD winner showing the chicanes and apex tires (sound is bad but you can see the track changes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDkofsHGeHo

Final Results:

http://timeattack.files.wordpress.co...al-results.pdf

The last session, the only for-score timed session of the day, a highly modified Infinity G35 showed up and beat my best time. It was a totally done-up car with 475 rwhp. My 300 rwhp was just not enough!!! I kept hoping he'd have issues with his car, but it held up and ran great.  So I came away with second place:

[Image: 2nd%20place%20award.jpg]

Here I'm trying to chase down the g35-- in the end he beat me by 4 seconds!!

[Image: IMG_1432_400.jpg]

In retrospect I should have bought a new set of Toyos (the Hoosiers I
have are verbotten) and driven the Integra in Mod FWD. There was only 1
entry and beating him would have netted me $350 after registration.

The event was a lot of fun -- I think I'll do more of these!!

Misc pics:

Element Wrx 500hp

[Image: element.jpg]

Formula Atlantic Car

[Image: Formula%20Atlantic%20Car.jpg]

475 rwhp good driver vs 100 fwhp total Newbie

[Image: robi.jpg]

- AMoore - 09-17-2008

WOW - Great post Darren!

- Brian Minkin - 09-17-2008

What was the intention of the tires on the Apex.  Seems to be a dangerous thing to do.

- Darren - 09-17-2008

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:What was the intention of the tires on the Apex? Seems to be a dangerous thing to do.
At first I had the same concern but they have the effect of making you slow down so that it's not an issue. They are trying to keep people on track because the dirt is somewhat unforgiving and the dust there is a huge issue. Even during the Rolex race I believe they implemented stop-and-go penalties to pro drivers for going off track.

- ninjabones - 09-18-2008

Darren;

I guess I'm glad I decided not to go with you last week... doesn't sound like the safest, most controlled first time trial experience.   Are the NASA time trial events as much chaos?

You should have gone with the stock RWD class.  You definitely would have walked away with $1000.   Best time in that class wasn't that great.  Did that guy actually walk away with $1000 with a time of 1:40?  However, it would have taken some work to get your car there.  Those time-attack rules are a bit weird:  unlimited horsepower, aftermarket turbos okay, carbon fiber body panels okay; but you have to keep the interior stock, must keep catalytic converter,  can't use tires with treadware rating less than 140, and max rear tire size is 285.

G

- Darren - 09-18-2008

Well 1:40 wasn't that bad of a time considering we were running the chicane -- It really slows you down on one of the fastest parts of the track, and you're in there for a good 7-8 seconds.

The apex tires and changes onto the main straight also slowed things way down.

The rules listed my car in the modified class -- only afterwards did I learn there was an error on that page, and I could have run stock.  I would have had to find good street tires though and decrease the rears from 295 to 285.

- Mark Fox - 09-24-2008

Smile Kudos Darren.  The RTR RED runs will be the best opportunity to post some flyers.

That track with limited passing opportunities is one where slow traffic kills your lap.  The DP guys were loosing 4 seconds per lap through the calamari section. Cool