Riesentöter Forums
Porsche accuses Nissan GT-R of cheating the 'Ring - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Porsche accuses Nissan GT-R of cheating the 'Ring (/showthread.php?tid=1420)

Pages: 1 2

- Darren - 09-30-2008

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/porsche-accuses-nissan-gt-r-of-cheating-the-ring/

Sour grapes or legitimate complaint? That's the question we're left pondering after reading that Porsche believes Nissan must have cheated to record its 7:29:03 lap time of the famed Nürburgring race circuit. Porsche claims that it had been suspicious of the Nissan's lap times, so it acquired a U.S.-spec GT-R for testing back-to-back with its own 911 Turbo and GT2. The result? The mighty Godzilla was toppled by the Teutonic German duo, with the GT-R posting times a good 25-seconds slower than Nissan's claim.

- bobt993 - 09-30-2008

Yes, but if you use your line through Adenaur Forest, it may be worth 15 secs  in lap time.Wink ( and with 4 wheel drive, you may get more grip through the grass).

- APXD 30 - 09-30-2008

Interesting...and possible.

The fact that Porsche's always a benchmark is a compliment, however, I hate it when mundane build-it-for-cheap people mover companies are compelled to attack a legitimate manufacturer.  

From my recollection it started in the '80s with Chevy stating how their 4 door Corsica was faster to 50mph & had a lower drag coefficient than a 944.   Subaru jumped on the bandwagon with the WRX sedan against a base Boxster (always the previous generation lesser motor).   Now Hyundai's big V8 5-series/LS/Eclass knock- off has started the apples-to-oranges thing with the Boxster.

I'm waiting for one of my neighbors to cleverly point out that the Kia Borrego has more cupholders and luggage space than the Cayenne.Wink

- Racingswh - 09-30-2008

I believe that as well.  I am not exactly sure how Nissan got that 4000 lb sled to go that fast.  Although other tests that I have seen as of late have the Nissan handily trouncing the Porsches as well.  Does Nissan provide them with "RINGER" cars?  Ones that make way more power than it's off the assembly line counterpart?  Possible and probable I would guess. 

- Darren - 09-30-2008

It seems like the difference may be tires -- figure a good track tire is worth about 1-2 seconds per mile -- 14 miles at the 'Ring is like 14-28 seconds using r-compounds!

- Racingswh - 05-30-2009

Drove a 2010 GTR today.  It will be hard for all but the very fastest GT cars to keep up with it and even that will require the correct car and driver combination.  It's extremely easy to drive and for the money it really is a bargain. 

We should see this one at the Glen this year.

- fasthonda - 05-30-2009

the GTR is very fast in stock form.    one of our PTE competitors, who usually races an SE-R recently traded in his 997 S on a GTR.  last fall, he brought it to summit point, along with his SE-R.  the GTR had 1100 miles on it, and was totally bone stock, as delivered from the showroom.  stock alignment, stock tires, stock brakepads.  he ran it in the Time Trials (TTU);  ziptied his transponder to it, and won the class!  best time was 1:22.14.   i'd be pretty sure that it would go 1:19s with Hoosiers and racepads on it (and remember, thats with stock suspension and stock drivetrain!).

1:22.14 is moving pretty good for a bone stock car (he's a good driver, too).

todd

- Racingswh - 06-01-2009

Thanks for posting that Todd.  What's funny is that's exactly how it felt to me.  The fastest I have gone recently, as measured by my trackmate, was with Kevin (registrar) in the car at a 1:22.5.  When I was in the GTR it gave me the impression that it was equally as quick as my car only so much easier to drive and that was in it's completely stock form.  For me at Summit I run a Bridgestone Pole Position 050 rated very well in the dry and when I switch to Hoosiers I pick up 4 - 5 seconds a lap as I was running 1:27's consistently that day on the street tires.  When we switch the GTR over to R comps I expect good things from it.  My guess is a 20 flat car or maybe better at Summit and a sub 2:10 car at the Glen.  I can only think of 2 or 3 GT cars (Not the Sports Prototype style cars!!!  LOL!! George!! They are extremely fast!!) in our club with a driver/car combination that are quicker.  I am quite impressed at this point with it's performance.  

Still not anywhere near as fun as a RWD Porsche though.   My ride at Pocono with Drew in his GT3 made me realize all over again why they are such amazing cars!!  He was sliding and throttle steering the car through 3, 4 and 5 so much I was clapping and broke out into laughter.  After he got acclimated to my fat butt being in the car he could catch the rotation of the car in 3 by planting the throttle and we would squirt up the short hill to 4.  It was awesome!!  Thanks Drew.

- AMoore - 06-02-2009

While I am a big fan of Porsche, I am by no means a Stepford.  I am embarrased by how much Porschefiles are crying about the GTR.   Everything I have read about the GTR leads me to conclude that it is a truly amazing machine.  0-60 in 3.4 seconds, handles like a dream, brakes great.  Yeah, there were problems with last years launch control (some say abuse), but that has been ironed out.  Lets be honest, Nissan generally has great quality control.  If I had an extra 77 grand, I would certainly buy a GTR before buying a base 911, or a loaded Cayman S.  Some may argue that it is too easy to drive.    All cars have gotten easier to drive over the years, haven't they?   If we really wanted difficult to drive, you would see a lot more big yellow school buses on the track. Big Grin

- opus - 06-03-2009

At the Schattenbaum PCA last year in November (maybe late Oct) run at NJMP Lightning course, there was a guy in the green group with a GTR.  I think he is running again this time with DE PCA in Oct.  Car exhaust pipelines were huge - I have never seen an exhaust bigger than that.