Riesentöter Forums
ReidSpeed NASA Summit Point race report w/vids - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: ReidSpeed NASA Summit Point race report w/vids (/showthread.php?tid=1453)

- fasthonda - 10-13-2008

hi guys!

as promised, here is a quick race recount with some in car vids!

saturday i had a poor qualifying round;  i got caught up in heavy miata traffic (those guys were lining up for grid about an hour before qualifying was to take place!).  i think i laid down a 1:29.0;  that put me in 3rd place for PTE, and 5th overall in the small bore group heat (Stinger).  i got a fairly good start (rolling start for both days);  the SE-Rs seem to have a bit of pull on my Probenstien now (i think the motor is getting tired after all these years of racing!);  the first several laps was a free-for-all;  there were 3 or 4 'Legends' cars racing in our heat;  Legends is an older looking, 3/4 scale racecar with a 1000 cc motorcycle engine in it;  they are a full tube frame racecar, but have to run BFG HR +4 all season passenger tires on them (its a spec series).   i HAD to get around those little buggers, in order to get up to the leaders in PTE (the white and black SE-Rs)...  i was ultra aggressive, and got the job done, but it sure felt like i was being swarmed by a bunch of angry hornets!!!   The white SE-R (the current championship points leader) made a mistake and spun off;  the black SE-R had engine problems (i think i would have gotten him anyway, even if he hadn't broken).  the rest of the race was managing tires and passing lap traffic, and a cruise to the win! :

http://www.vimeo.com/1950512

Sunday, i was determined to qualify well;  i was still behind a ton of miatas on the grid for qualifying, but this time i CRAWLED around on the warmup lap, and left a big gap in front of me;  i threw down and ran 2 VERY hard laps (the old Toyo RA-1s seem best in their first two laps, before they really heat up);  i put down a 1:27.1;  a new track record for PTE, and good enough for the overall pole in small bore!  i got a good start during the race (rolling start again) and lead for the first lap;  then eventually allowed the 'Death Race 2000' sports racer/Monte CarloZX past me (you can see me signal him).  shortly after the Eprod Alfa went past, and i tried to settle down and put up some fast times....  the 2nd place PTE entrant (#67 SE-R;  the white one that had gone off the day before) crept up to my bumper and was pressuring me hard, almost immediately.  he was faster than i was, but i was driving wide and protecting the best way i know how!  the race was scheduled for 30 mins, and i knew i had to hold him off!!!   lap after lap after lap, he was right on my bumper;  i could never get more than a car length on him;  even as we were slicing thru lap traffic (the last half of the race was definitely an excercise on 'who is best managing heavy lap traffic'), he went with me, glued to my rear valance.  i was fairly aggressive moving through traffic, never really hesitating and passing just about everywhere on the circuit...  he tried to get around in the carousel every time;  i had to protect the inside there everytime thru.....  he tried many times to pass entering T1/T2 and down into T3;  the Probe and i countered everytime through (sometimes you can hear him side by side with me;  anytime you see me way off line, it is due to me making my car 'wide' and making it very difficult for him to pass!!!).  i ended up winning PTE, with him a fraction behind me;  i was 3rd overall in Stinger (small bore);  my best lap time was 1:27.5;  his best lap time was a 1:27.1;  both our best laps were on the final white flag lap;  i was balls out, and he was too!  enjoy the clip:

http://www.vimeo.com/1954113

i'll look forward to seeing all of you guys at thunderbolt very soon!

todd

- bobt993 - 10-13-2008

Todd,

Watched your Sunday race.  You battled for awhile with the Nascar clone, but his power eventually pulled away on the front straight.  It looked like that cost you some tire wear and the other PTE cars started to come back on you. 

I was really happy with my results considering how down on power I was.   I had to wait for the front runners to slow a little from tire wear and draft the Spec Boxster down the front straight to keep with him.  ( at one point I was about 1ft from his bumper at 130mph).   I used his tow for three laps or so to gap the other GTS cars, then I started challenging him in a couple of turns.  He eventually overcooked T1 and went into the kitty litter.  Held on for 3rd.  

I think I know where to look for the issue, will let you know tomorrow.  BTW,  I pulled the bottom plugs per your suggestion (two were only hand tight!) plugs looked fine though.  If I get it fixed, I am tempted to run Nov as 30-40hp makes a big difference in lap times.  

- magnetic1 - 10-13-2008

Bob! Good seeing you out there again. Sorry to hear about your car, I was hoping the dyno would help.

Todd, nice meeting your daughter and hanging out w/ you as always.

I spoke to Steven (Boxster guy), he said he had massive brake failure. He opened his hood and there was brake fluid everywhere.

My Recap: http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24363

- bobt993 - 10-13-2008

Eric, looks like you keep dropping the record for Summit every event. Wink I was not sure what happened with the Boxster, but he seemed to get too deep into T1.  If your going to loose your brakes at Summit, please have it happen there.  Glad he is okay and the car seems good otherwise.  We were nose to tail for about 3 laps as his tires had fallen off and I was able to brake early in T10 and run up behind him at exit.

The dyno helped.  If it is was your idea to have the pull done, thanks.  This is exactly what happened at VIR.  Car is good for the warm up lap (about half way around).   It does not break up, just a very high rpm miss, barely detectable from the pedal, just no get up and go.

- magnetic1 - 10-13-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Eric, looks like you keep dropping the record for Summit every event. Wink I was not sure what happened with the Boxster, but he seemed to get too deep into T1. If your going to loose your brakes at Summit, please have it happen there. Glad he is okay and the car seems good otherwise. We were nose to tail for about 3 laps as his tires had fallen off and I was able to brake early in T10 and run up behind him at exit.

The dyno helped. If it is was your idea to have the pull done, thanks. This is exactly what happened at VIR. Car is good for the warm up lap (about half way around). It does not break up, just a very high rpm miss, barely detectable from the pedal, just no get up and go.

Yea, Doug had 3 dyno slots for GTS. He wanted to get me and Dayton done caus we were top 2... and then asked who I thought should get the 3rd spot. I said youre a cheater and we should get you dyno'd Tongue Just Kidding. Naw, I just figured you wanted one, so no harm in free dyno right? Cept when your fan quits and you overheat on the dyno! Sad

- Darren - 10-14-2008

Since Jason is not on the forum, I'm posting an email I got from him.  Jason is an amazing driver, he can jump in any car and just be fast!!!!

The video is from a car that started alongside him -- somehow Jason gets the jump an gets in front of him by T1.  He repasses, and they keep trading positions.

----From Jason:

Gotta love Spec e30 racing with NASA.  http://www.vimeo.com/1958508

This is my Sat race from Robert Allens car at Summit point.  I am in 188 and I get past him at the start and its back and forth for the rest of the race.  When he is in front you can see my headlights in his rear view mirror.  You can also see how I blew turn 1 and gave him the race one lap before the white. At minute 19 you can see where I was going to pass him in the carosel for the second time and you can hear him loose it a bit and tap my front bumper and my headlights disapear as I backed out to not take us both out.

Love that spec e30 racing.  Need to build a car this winter for next season.  What a great race even if I did get fifth.  I got him on Sunday when I got forth and did not blow a turn to let him around.