Riesentöter Forums
964 Weight Reductions - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Air-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: 964 Weight Reductions (/showthread.php?tid=1536)

- JoeP - 12-26-2008

This Spring, I plan to replace the catalyst/mufflers and remove some interior bits to reduce weight in my 964.

> Does anyone know how much weight I could save by replacing the rear bumper assembly with a fiberglass shell?

> If that is dumb, are there any reasonable and reversable ways to reduce weight in my RSA?

Thanks.

- George3 - 12-26-2008

Joe, it depends on how far you want to go and how much $$$ you want to spend.  Significant savings can be had by removing the carpeting, A/C, replacing the glass with lexan and replacing the doors.  Clearly, these are all reverseable, however, there is the 'hassle' factor.  If you want to make this a dedicated track car, then weight reduction is king.  If it's a DD and Track car, then you can decide what you can live with.  I'd be interested in hearing the other opinions.  GL.

- ninjabones - 12-26-2008

A lot will depend on your ultimate objective (dedicated track car, DE/street hybrid, full-out race car) and how much you're willing to sacrifice in terms of resale on a collectable car like the RSA.

On a RSA, there are some simple things that can reduce weight, enhance performance, and likely not adversely effect resale (seats, suspension, lightweight wheels, exhaust). 

If there's a chance you may want to race in the future, you'll have to study the respective rulebooks of any potential sanctioning bodies (PCA, NASA) to make sure that any modifications don't violate any of the class rules.  Even if you don't plan on racing, some seamingly appealing modifications (like upgrading the brakes) may make it difficult to sell the car if the purchaser is interested in racing the car.

But then again, you may not want to take advice from me... as I've seriously slipped off the deep end in the past 12 months.

- George3 - 12-26-2008

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:But then again, you may not want to take advice from me... as I've seriously slipped off the deep end in the past 12 months.

Glen,
You haven't slipped off the deep end, my friend.... you're off the charts !!!

Smile Smile Smile

Joe,
Glen has done some increidble things to his car and I can't wait to see him on the track next season. If you go the lightweight route, then lots of things need to be taken out of the car, but do it gradually as you feel comfortable.

- ninjabones - 12-26-2008

George3 wrote:
Quote:

Glen,
You haven't slipped off the deep end, my friend.... you're off the charts !!!

Smile Smile Smile

Ah George... my sickness is like a head-cold next to your leprosy

- George3 - 12-26-2008

Big Grin

Big Grin

Big Grin

Big Grin

Big Grin

- AMoore - 12-29-2008

Joe,

Larry's Herman's RSA was, I believe, pretty well stripped.  Might want to touch base with him.  IMHO, you should leave your beautiful car alone.  Then again, Maybe people will stop thinking that you are me on the track.

- Phokaioglaukos - 12-30-2008

Let me echo the thought that whatever you do, you do with a clear eye to the requirements of the class your car would race in. That will of course help you if you decide to race it and if you decide to sell it to a racer. Changes that will have to be undone to fit a race class will reduce the value.