Riesentöter Forums
12 hrs of Summit - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: 12 hrs of Summit (/showthread.php?tid=1584)

- dmano - 02-01-2009

Has anyone run this or would anyone be interested in racing for 12hrs. I may put up the Stang if I could get a team togeather and a sponsor. 

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-02-2009

I did the 12 Hours at the Point race last year in the SSM class. Last year it was run Noon to Midnight. This year, in a cost-saving effort, it will run 9 AM to 9 PM. The cars will not need the light bars as the race will finish before it's dark (sunset will be at 8:40).

I plan to do the race again this year, also in SSM or maybe SM. A three-person team is fine, but you must have really good crew and a well-prepared car. Last year we rented a car and crew and probably will again this year. There is a MARRS race two weeks later and it would be hard to get my car refitted in time for that.

- bobt993 - 02-03-2009

Chris,

If there is an extra seat,  I may want to attend.  Let me know.  Not sure if I have a different race on that weekend.  Good Luck!!

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-04-2009

It's funny, Bob. I had not planned on doing the race this year, but then I was describing SCCA racing in the SSM class to Glen and I got myself all excited about this race. It's too bad that it's not Noon to Midnight as it was for so many years, but it's fun, there's quite a bit of in-class competition in SSM and SM and it's not very expensive. Compared to the sprint races I have done the 12-hour really made me feel like a race car driver. Pit stops, crew yanking me out of the car or stuffing me in the car, crew chief on the radio, and overall just lots of excitement. Sun, torrential rain, dark, and even a Porsche DE car wandering through the hot pits looking for fuel!Confusedhock:

As we get closer, I'll try to put together a team, or maybe even two team. You'd be great.

- George3 - 02-05-2009

You guys are really making me think hard about this racing thing.

- Tony356993 - 02-05-2009

will i fit in a miata??? Tongue

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-05-2009

Tony, I've seen bigger guys in Miatas. The rental we had last year had it's seat on sliders.

- bobt993 - 02-05-2009

Chris,  I rummaged up a team since you mentioned getting a second car:

Me,  Larry Herman, Tom Dymant, and Chris Brown.   Cars are cheap enough right now, maybe we should just buy one and split into four.

- Phokaioglaukos - 02-16-2009

Bob, that sounds like a killer team!

The 12 Hour race is a blast, although I'm a bit sad that it will not be run in the dark as it has been in the past. Makes me think also about the 13 Hour race at VIR in the fall.

When I talked last year with several guys who have done the 12 Hour race a number of times (and won it in the SSM class), I got the same advice. Rent a car because the race is VERY hard on the car and it can be tough to get it back in shape for the next MARRS race about two weeks later. Get a good crew because you must really rely on the crew in a race that long, with that much refueling, with that many driver changes, with tire and brake pad changes.

All of the SCCA classes (except the open wheel cars) are eligible, so there are some Hondas, Porsches, BMWs and other cars in the race, but the largest classes are SSM and SM, the two Miata classes. The full list of elegible classes is: AS, ITA, ITB, ITC, ITR, ITS, SM, SSB, SSC & ST, plus the DC Region classes ITE, SRX7 and SSM. There are at least three shops that rent Miatas and provide support for the races at Summit Point. Mike Collins (Meathead Racing), Bret de Pedro (RP Performance) and Chris Windsor (Windsor Racing, I think). All are good and able. I've been with Bret at RP Performance because there are several Miata racers in the Philadelphia area who recommended him to me, and I've been more than satisfied.

All of these shops rent cars and provide support as a package, and also just provide support standalone. They make more money with the package, so that is what they try to do first, filling in with support only if they still have capacity. A support team consists of the crew chief (on the radio to the driver), fueler and fire bottle (each of whom needs full fire gear and helmet), timer, and extra staff to change tires and pads. It helps if they have done a 12 Hour race before. Each team also has to supply an observer to watch over another, randomly-assigned, team as part of the rules enforcement. Renting an experienced team pays off in shorter, better pit stops. Renting a Miata and a support team for 2009 will probably be in the $10,000 range, including entry fee, fuel and food.

The Miatas hold enough fuel for about 90-100 minutes of racing, depending on traffic and the like. Refueling must be done without the driver in the car, so there is not a lot of benefit in double stinting a driver. Most teams are three drivers, but four is not uncommon. Miatas run until the engine stumbles for lack of fuel, and then pit within a lap or two for refueling.

Drivers need a SCCA race license, of course, but PCA and NASA licenses will do the trick. Read more about it here: http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=44 where you can find the General Comptetition Rules online. It's a very long document but it's not hard to find answers in it. Of course I'd be happy to answer any questions or, more likely, refer you to people who can really answer the question.

Oh, yes, no 13/13 Rule and the cars absolutely do contest corners, especially in the sprint races. The better drivers are very clean and fast with door-to-door racing around the whole course. The rest of us try our best. Big Grin